X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does size really matter?

A good friend of mine sent me a photo of a mountain of cuttings that he had if I had to guess I would say around a 150 he asked me if I would like some and I said sure well a couple of days later the package arrived with around 50 cuttings I emailed him and said that I got them and he replied with a laugh "jokingly" and said you didn't think you were going to get all my big cuttings did you? well here are some pictures 2 weeks later and the little ones "about the width of 2 toothpicks" seem to be progressing faster than the bigger ones

So I would like to ask What size cuttings do you prefer?

What size cups do you use? I've always used 10oz cups but I think I like 7oz better you could see roots faster which mean you can get them into potting soil quicker and I just started using 2oz cups for my toothpick cuttings so far so good

Click image for larger version

Name:	A.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	71409Click image for larger version

Name:	B.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	71410Click image for larger version

Name:	C.JPG
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	71411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3022 copy.JPG
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	71412

Wish List -

I've noticed that the smaller cutting seem to root and sprout leaves first.

Some larger cuttings that have been slower to root but are still doing well.

It's be interesting to see how they compare during the spring/summer months.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

You known you ganna get joked at with you title ahahaha! And you got great friend! And apparent rooting method. I AWLAYS lose thin cutting... Then again lately I lose any cutting AHahahah !
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's keep it PG fella they do have postage stamp size tracking devices tie them to your cuttings and you will never lose another one

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        "Postal stamp size" again with size?! Also I mean lose as dead ahahaha!

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        I know I was just messing with you LOL

My wife says "yes."

She's a statistician and came to that conclusion after hearing the question and looking over all my cuttings. In my statistical universe the very thin and the very thick are not showing nearly the amount of activity as those that are "just right"....regular pencil size up to "first-grade" pencil size.

What? You thought something else? You have a dirty mind.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL I suppose it also depends on the variety and the quality of the cuttings

Kind of a related question. I noticed that OP mentioned he would transfer as soon as the roots reached the sides. At what point do people transfer from a rooting cup/media to a 1 gal? I haven't transferred any yet. This is my first time rooting so I am shooting for alot of roots before I move them to avoid killing them during the process. Is that waiting too long? Some of the roots are turning tan/brown.
      Jose in Glen Arm, Maryland.... Zone 7a

Comment

• F. Bennett
        F. Bennett commented
        Editing a comment
        I wait until the cup is nearly root bound. It kind of hugs the soil and allow for easier up-potting to the 1 gallon pot.

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with Frank, I have only a couple years experience but when I transferred them sooner the soil ball fell apart and the roots hung down like spaghetti strands, a few broke off. Mine do better I believe when I use a bigger cup (this year using 18 oz and 32 oz sizes) and leave them there until ready to go do a #1 pot

• smithmal
        smithmal commented
        Editing a comment
        Also not a bad idea to water the day before to get the cutting, root system and soil nice and hydrated before transferring. Wetting the soil a little bit also helps with keep the rootball-soil stay together during the transfer.

I've had better luck with pencil sized to marker sized cuttings.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Dave
        Dave commented
        Editing a comment
        You would think the bigger the cutting the more energy it would have apparently not

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        And my experience is that thinner (sub-pencil diameter) cuttings have not done as well either in my first & second years using a rooting box or in my 2nd & third years using direct potting in a cup or mini-SIP.

Do size matter... Pencil size.... My wife say yes.... What's next!
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I've had much better results with larger cuttings... 1/2" and larger caliper.

The larger caliper cuttings may initially take longer to root and bud out, but grow much faster than small caliper cuttings.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Heres a little update about a week and a half after I started these the toothpick cuttings are on the right and the regular size cuttings are on the left as you can see they are neck and neck and it seems that the toothpick cuttings are branching out more than the pencil size cuttings

Name:	IMG_3142 copy.JPG
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	73541

I happen to have a tiny piece of limb that I stuck in the edge of the cup to see what would happen it has one root coming out of it "Don't Ever Throw Anything Away"

Name:	IMG_3148 copy.JPG
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	73542Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150 copy.JPG
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	73543
          Wish List -

Comment

Working...