X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me identify tiny white-ish bugs on pot (not plant)

Hello! On all of my cuttings that I up-potted about a month ago (that survived this long), I found teeny tiny white-ish/transluscent-ish bugs crawling on the edge of the pots (the pots are dark green, so easy to see with the naked eye). They may be the size of a grain of sea salt. They don't appear to be on the plants or soil, but are likely coming from the soil as I can't figure out where else they might be coming from. There are many and they are small (I can't get a clear pic with a loupe/phone, or I would post it). These cuttings are growing indoors.

They don't appear to be spiders. Trying to research the FMV mite, I'm assuming they are NOT that as I can see them with my naked eye.

I'm assuming they are not fungus gnat juvvies as any info I can find, online, appears to suggest that they go from wormy-larvae state to the winged state pretty quickly.

Other than the gross bugs on the pots, the cuttings appear to be in good shape. Any ideas what these could be?

As of now, I have taken them all outside and sprayed the heck out of them with spinosad. No idea if that will even help but I want them to go away! Out of the 30+ cuttings that I have rooted, these are the only 5 that have survived up-potting for more than a week
    Emily - Complete Noob (I usually kill things before I get fruit/veg out of them).
    Zone 9b, Palo Alto, SF Bay Area, CA (closer to San Jose than SF); 100% Container gardening

The description sounds like fungus gnat larvae. Really crazy that they would be on the outside of the pot, though.
    -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
    -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
    -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

• FigHearted
      FigHearted commented
      Editing a comment
      This person here is saying to dunk the entire cup/cutting container in 1/4 hydrogen peroxide to 3/4 water, then remove. Supposedly this will kill the larvae on contact. The H2O2 trick seems to be complete exposure to the larvae, not just a little bit here and there that touches them.

https://www.epicgardening.com/fungus-gnats/

• emik
      emik commented
      Editing a comment
      FigHearted - maybe that is my problem. I watered the up-potted cutting with it, and likely didn't hit all areas of the soil. I'm still not 100% convinced it is fungus gnats, but I don't have another likely source (although I see Springtale bugs suggested, below). They moved around in a similar fashion as ants... but were super tiny and white... I will get some mosquito dunk stuff and see if that gets rid of them.

• FigHearted
      FigHearted commented
      Editing a comment
      emik Do a google search on the springtail idea. Compare what you see to what you find on line. Unfortunately, only you can make the final call since we cannot see what you see. It might very well be springtails.

My guess they are Springtail bugs .
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Zone 12 (Desert Climate)
    Wish List: Cooler Summers

Comment

Second guess for springtails.
      Attached Files
      Long Beach 10b / 22

Comment

Aren't springtails beneficial, though?
        -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
        -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
        -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

• UKE4U
          UKE4U commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question????

From what I read they aren't a problem (not sure if they are beneficial). I somehow don't believe I would have that good fortune. Maybe they are springtails, but I got some mosquito crumbles and made some gnat-killer tea to water the plants with. Sprinkled the crumbles on the newly potted as a prophylactic measure. Wish I had a better magnification system so that I could take a good pic. I also doubt springtails as these bugs didn't appear to have the hairy-looking things on them.... thank you all for trying to help me figure this out! I sure do appreciate it!
        Emily - Complete Noob (I usually kill things before I get fruit/veg out of them).
        Zone 9b, Palo Alto, SF Bay Area, CA (closer to San Jose than SF); 100% Container gardening

Comment

Working...
        X