X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grafting for 2020!! :-)

I’m so excited!! Things are starting to wake up and I can hardly wait for summer. This is going to be an epic year for me and figs.

I have lots of new varieties and I have been grafting them to some really nice and well established trees so I’ll likely get to try many of these this year. Grafting is so much easier than rooting!!

venturabananas Here are some highlights. I have several trees that I’m multi grafting but Mark is the king of this with his 2 in ground trees having over 100 varieties!! It’s a beautiful sight.

The last pic is the one I’ll be working on next week.
    Attached Files
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Eric, Do you mind sharing your rootstock along with your technique(s) and what cultivars you are choosing to graft?
    Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using trees that didn’t make the cut for whatever reason. Taste, productivity... etc. I do have a bunch of bulk Panache that I rooted last fall to use as rootstock as well though.

The varieties I’m grafting are ones I plan to trial here or they are duplicates of varieties rhat were fantastic and I want multiple copies of. Such as, BNR, Thermalito, DSJG and such.

What kind of graft are you using Eric? I have a tree about 3’ tall with 4 branches I’ve been thinking about grafting different stuff to. I probably won’t be able to for at least another month and a half, but it’s really got me thinking. How are you dealing with sap flow?
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, Black Tuscan, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, vincenzo, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      I have kept the trees very very dry so sap flow is minimal and I am mostly using whip and tongue right now. I wrap them very tight as well and that also minimizes sap leakage

You are blessed!
    WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, BFF, BB10, Adriatic JH, Battaglia Green, CLBC, White Baca, Del Monte, Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Azores, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Comment

Eric
      Whats DSJG? Man your trees look nice ! Good luck this season!

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m attempting to root this one. The cutting that I received from Harvey is nearly an inch thick. I don’t know much about this fig but if our Figtator is growing it, then it must be good. 😊

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        Bellefleurs DSJG is definitely a top 10

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Evdurtschi, That’s excellent news!
        I’m looking forward to watching this cutting progress. I am rooting it in a tall tree pot since it’s so enormous.

Those trees looks so immaculate.

i am curious though. A lot of the posts/videos I see about chip bud grafting don’t show the chip bud being grated to a node area. Does that mean someone could chip graft four branches going in four different directions to “design” the tree’s shape? And to be specific, I mean grafting all four of the buds at the same height/place on the rootstock so all four would be at the same height.

I really want to practice some grafting. But one learning lesson at a time. Rooting and up-potting this year (and air layers), grafting next year.
      Central, GA - Zone 8a
      Wish list: Yellow Long Neck, Lattarula, Italian 258, Black Madeira

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        You can do what you described. I did that to a few trees last year. It’s important to use buds that are well pronounced and ready to pop though, otherwise, the tree may not activate that graft

• KMH
        KMH commented
        Editing a comment
        XstreamINsanity you could do that but you would have really poor tree structure. When pruning your plants, ideally you would have branches coming off the main trunk in different directions and at diffferent heights to minimize the strain on the main trunk

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with KMH. It would be better spaced out. When I did it, I ended up chopping off everything above the bud grafts so they are branching out from the top. Probably not the best idea

@XatreamINsanity . I think what you are proposing would be too much for the tree. You are going for 4 chip buds at the same spot, in north, south, east, west locations? I'm far from an expert, so take that into consideration
      Zone 7A
      Wishlist: Smith, CLBC, UC 187-25, Yellow Long Neck, CC

Comment

• XstreamINsanity
        XstreamINsanity commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that’s what I was asking. I know people
        Ok here know a lot about the flow of the hormones, sugars, and other things in the tree and was curious if that would be too much in one spot, if they need to be grafted a certain distance apart, does the age of the rootstock matter, etc. I’m also curious if the graft, even a single one, could weaken the strength of the tree at that spot, and if doing four would make it worse. Might try it at some point just to see, but curious if someone has already tried it.

Very nice! I agree that grafting is easier than rooting.
      Zone 8b. West Central Louisiana

Comment

Now that I have been permitted to enter Figlandia, I understand your excitement!
        You have an ideal spot to experiment with figs.
        I love your enthusiasm and approach to growing figs.
        You are going to hit it out of the park in 2020.
        Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
        Wish List - Raspberry Tart to be common!

Comment

• Evdurtschi
          Evdurtschi commented
          Editing a comment
          It was so fun to have you and your wife visit the secret compound. :-)

I think I need to pay a lil ole visit to Eric in the land of swimming pools, movie stars, and beautiful wasps flying all around, with all 15 of my New Mexico heirlooms....... spend a few hours with his super duper grafting skills, and next think you know, I will be a rich and famous Fig man just like him! woo hoo!
        Amado - NM, working with 15 types of NM heirlooms. WL- Rasbperry Cream, TC12, Campaniere, Zaffiro, Cosme Manyo, Fracazzono Multicolore, Sanguinato, San Biago

Comment

• Evdurtschi
          Evdurtschi commented
          Editing a comment
          😂 Rich with delicious figs at least.

Evdurtschi , Eric are these banana grafts?
        They look great. I would like to try this as soon as I find a pair of grafting gloves ...(still scared of my knife after my last incident )....

Comment

• Evdurtschi
          Evdurtschi commented
          Editing a comment
          Most are whip and tongue. Banana grafting is so so easy and very effective but should only be done when the bark is slipping so I won’t be doing any of those for a month or more

• Bellefleurs
          Bellefleurs commented
          Editing a comment
          Evdurtschi, what are the signs that the bark is slipping? I am so excited to have discovered that my W&T graft of a BM onto a Chicago Hardy cutting MAY have worked...it is beginning to swell.

This is my plan for this afternoon as well! Two in-ground host trees are just starting bud break. One downer is that two of the cuttings I have been storing (Craven's Craving and Bordissot BN) have developed white mold at the basal end since I checked them last, so we'll see how they fare.

If you are in So Cal and looking for root stock ... some of the brown turkey fig trees at my local Home Depot lost all of their leaves, but the person I spoke with would only give a 20% discount on them. Others have apparently been better at sweetalking their way into a good deal ...
        Zone 10a San Diego | Wishlist: My cutting zoo to turn into a fig forest! And Thermalito.

Comment

Figbert Just use some isopropyl alcolhol straight out of the bottle on them. I use the 91% strength with a small paint brush after I wipe off the mold. Kills the mold dead and does not seem to hurt the cutting.
          WL: Maltese Beauty, Dalmatie, Texas Peach, Buzzone Nero, BFF, BB10, Adriatic JH, Battaglia Green, CLBC, White Baca, Del Monte, Raspberry Tart, Watermelon, Edith Lamb, Thermalito, Hative D'Argenteuil, Azores, Martinenca Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Golden Rainbow

Comment

Looks great! Can’t wait for our spring to get here north of you!
            CA Zone 9B WL: Thermalito

Comment

Evdurtschi

”Things are starting to wake up”

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

I took two small pieces from cuttings I got to graft as a backup, long story really short, the grafts took and cuttings did not make it, so yes grafting is a better option if available.
                MJ
                Chicago Zone 5a/5b

Comment

That looks awesome 😄

I need to get myself a tree first. I don't the local HD has any fig trees this time of the year.
                  Moved from 10b to 7a

Comment

Wait a minute Eric. Last I heard you had something like 450 varieties or some such nonsense. Now you say that you "have lots of new varieties" .
                    How is this possible? I didn't think the secret hidden compound could hold that many trees. It must stand out as a block of green surrounded by a desert of asphalt and concrete when viewed on Google Earth. Won't remain hidden or secret for much longer if you make it too easy to find with satellite imagery.
                    Last edited by DrDraconian; 02-17-2020, 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
                    Richard - San Diego 10a
                    2020 Cuttings Sale Link

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                      Evdurtschi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lucrative I haven’t decided if I’ll post my cull list but have been thinking of posting my keepers.

• Lucrative
                      Lucrative commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Evdurtschi - Ok, so I'll keep the cull list just between us then? Haha Even if you don't post the cull list, I'd love to see your keepers! Given your growing experience of all different types of fruits I'd like to benefit from your knowledge and see a list of keepers of other fruits/berries/etc. as well!

• Evdurtschi
                      Evdurtschi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lucrative The only reason I don’t want to post a cull list is because many of the varieties are excellent in some climates but here, with pollination, things are very different. Some mediocre varieties are mind blowing with pollination while others don’t seem to be affected all that much. I don’t want to post a list that makes people think it’s being culled because it’s not good

Are your grafts only covered with parafilm or do you also initially cover with a bag or foil for protection against the sun? Typically how long do you leave the parafilm on?

I tried a banana graft last week and the rootstock bark wasn't slipping.
                    Johnson1
                    Zone 9b
                    S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                      Evdurtschi commented
                      Editing a comment
                      During this time of the year, just parafilm. In the hotter parts of the summer, I shade them a little but in your summer temperatures, I think you would definitely want to wrap in foil

• FigHearted
                      FigHearted commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good point about wrapping in foil.

Daytime temps are hitting 80's to mid 80's, a near record high for FL.

The grafts are wrapped in parafilm and then foil as the plants are in the sun. After a few weeks or longer the foil is loosened then removed in another week. Not sure if it is a good metric but I like to see a green bud or buds before removing the foil. Also the aluminum foil provides extra support for the graft.

The grafts were high value figs, I will next try some without the foil.
                    Johnson1
                    Zone 9b
                    S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Pulled in my LSU Gold and Celeste about 2 months ago in the garage with the heat and lights to start waking them up so I could graft onto them. I've got little bits saved in the fridge of some varieties that I really wanted to give myself every opportunity to grow this season.
                      Attached Files
                      -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                      -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                      -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                        Evdurtschi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bellefleurs It sounds like your bark was slipping. If not, you wouldn’t be able to peel the bark away without it shredding and leaving parts of bark on the white inner layer.

• Lucrative
                        Lucrative commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bellefleurs - These are pieces I saved from some of the more costly varieties that I was also rooting, so a bunch of different varieties. I actually bought that celeste from Lowes last year just to graft onto, then air layer off later in the season.

• Bellefleurs
                        Bellefleurs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lucrative, this approach is brilliant.

First attempt at a whip and tongue graft.
                      Black Madeira cutting onto a Chicago hardy cutting.
                      A bud is beginning to swell.
                      So exciting!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                        Evdurtschi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looking good!!

Bellefleurs - Great feeling! Am I right?

Comment

• Bellefleurs
                        Bellefleurs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wonderful feeling!!!
                        I honestly can’t believe that this might have actually worked!! Time will tell...

Something about turning a stick into a fruit tree is very satisfying....

Comment

TorontoJoe Especially when you grow that little tree in a sunny paradise where it will thrive and provide you with lots and lots of yummy figs..... 😂
                        You’re Rocca Bianco is going to be one happy little fig tree this year.
                        Attached Files
                        Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Working...
                        X