X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Fig Trees For Sale in Houston - Spring 2020

Hello Houston Fignuts!

I am going to start this discussion thread again this year, for 2020. There have been a number of new fig enthusiast in the Houston area this last year, and more seem to join all the time. Some staying and getting addicted like the rest of us, and some moving on to other fruits and hobbies. Hopefully this information with help everyone find the trees they want in the Houston area, or in the surrounding south east Texas area too (please feel free to post for other Texas areas too).

I am starting this a little earlier this year than normal. Mostly because I was at a Houston Garden Center yesterday (and a few other nurseries too). But the HGC that I was at was carrying a few more variety this year than they have had recently. They had several LSU figs, plus the Celeste and BT that are all they have been carrying for the last few years.

Most of the nurseries that I stopped at have not gotten their new trees in for 2020 yet. But some have.

Houston Garden Center (northside):
    Celeste
    Brown Turkey
    LSU Purple
    LSU Gold
    Tiger (I am guessing this is LSU Tiger, and not Panache, since all the other figs were LSU varieties).
    O'Rourke
    Champagne

Growers Outlet (Willis):
    Celeste
    Brown Turkey
    LSU Purple
    LSU Gold
    Texas Everbearing (black)
    There were also several bareroot Celeste, BT, TX EB, & LSU figs. These were all $17, and some were quite large. Rootstock?

That is about all worth reporting so far. But I should be going to Arbor Gate, RCW, and JRN in the next week or so.

CliffH
    Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
    Wish List: Rubado, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Oh, and I did stop by one of the Big Trees of Texas locations. Nothing special here, and all their prices were ridiculously high, as normal. I just wanted to post a couple of pictures from my stop so that everyone could see what a $700 Brown Turkey fig looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	700_dollar_BT.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	714898Click image for larger version

Name:	700_dollar_BT - sign.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	961.3 KB
ID:	714899

Comment

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      C-r-a-z-y!!!

• MyDogMike
      MyDogMike commented
      Editing a comment
      If that sells...I’m in the wrong business

• FigHearted
      FigHearted commented
      Editing a comment
      Call 911, I think I'm going to have a cardiac after reading that!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB_IMG_1581885412675.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.6 KB ID:	715002 Thank you for starting this Cliff.

I went to Enchanted Forest on 2/1/2020, and they had many fig trees available. I didn't get the names of all of them, but from my photo can make out these varieties:

Enchanted Forest (Richmond south of Houston)
    Smith
    O'Rourke
    Olympian
    LSU Purple
    LSU ?
    Little Miss Figgy
    Houston, Texas (just south of Houston) - Zone 9a
    WL: CC, GIschia

Comment

• Outdoorenth
      Outdoorenth commented
      Editing a comment
      CliffH the Enchanted Forest and the Enchanted Gardens are lovely nurseries. Lots of fruit trees and more.

I wasn't able to that time, since I got two other fruit trees plus some other plants.

• CliffH
      CliffH commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked it up. It's a long way for me. But the next time we go down to Brazos Bend I will be sure to stop by.

• Bellefleurs
      Bellefleurs commented
      Editing a comment
      Enchanted forest and Enchanted garden are absolutely wonderful nurseries.
      Fun little gift shop, chicken coop..sometimes a good truck.
      Worth the trip.

Those look like some good options for adding to the collection! Thanks for starting the thread!
    Micah 4:4
    Wish list: I 258, all of the LSU varieties and a bigger backyard.
    Kingwood, Texas Zone 9a

Comment

When to Arbor Gate in Tomball this morning, before the crowd showed up, to pick up a Saijo persimmon. I logged their Fig inventory while I was there. They have a lot of new stock from a couple of growers. I believe all trees were labeled $25, as normal at this nursery.

Hardy Chicago
      Italian Black
      Native Black
      Smith
      LSU Purple
      LSU Gold
      O'Rourke / Improved Celeste (both names on tags)
      Texas Everbearing
      Texas Blue Giant
      Olypmpian
      Little Ruby
      Little Miss Figgy
      "Ischia"
      White Marseilles
      Italian Honey
      Black Mission
      Banana (Kadota tagged as Banana)
      Kadota (tagged as Kadota)
      Brown Turkey
      Celeste

Most were from the Brazos Citrus Nursery (wholesale growers). But a few had other tags. Nothing there from Treesearch yet.

CliffH

Comment

• Bellefleurs
        Bellefleurs commented
        Editing a comment
        Such a great selection. Thank you for sharing this.
        Have you grown/compared native black to Italian black?

• CliffH
        CliffH commented
        Editing a comment
        Bellefleurs - They are two very different figs.

The Italian Black is an earlier medium sized fig, with a yellow and red interior and a mostly sugar/brown sugar flavor.

The Native Black is a larger fig. More round in shape. The inside is dark red, with a deeper berry flavor. It was the second favorite of the Becnel family in Belle Chasse, behind only Smith.

For me the Italian Black as been a more robust growing tree. But it could be where I have them planted.

Thank you for this excellent comparison.
      I have both planted in the ground, about 12 feet apart and I can’t wait to compare them.
      Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

I live in coastal central Florida but I visit Spring TX two or three times a year. I remembered the 2019 thread when I was in Spring TX the week before Christmas. I purchased a LSU ORourke and a Smith from Abor Gate. I found a Beer's Black at JRN Nursery. The three trees really like the Florida sunshine.

I was looking forward to visit next month but, at this time I have no ideal when I will get back to Texas.

Comment

• Bellefleurs
          Bellefleurs commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe that Beers Black is a synonym for Violette de Bordeaux.
          If you visit next month (and the nurseries are open), Arbor Gate appears to have the best selection.
      Working...
      X