X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is best to move cuttings outside?

In zone 9b, Rio Grande Valley area. Been 60-80s days, mostly 60s at night, some occasional drops to 50s, rarely high 40s. Would I be better served switching to putting my cuttings outdoors in the sun?

A little more information would help. Do the cuttings have leaves yet or are these newly planted cuttings.
    Tony, Toronto Canada USDA zone 4B
    Wishlist: Raasti

Comment

Look up last frost date for your zone. Doesn't always mean for sure but an average. Might have to shuffle it's February!

Comment

Originally posted by tinyfish View Post
        A little more information would help. Do the cuttings have leaves yet or are these newly planted cuttings.
        Some of each.

Last frost is 1/29.

Comment

You can start putting them outside now based on your zone and last frost date. Put them in the shade for a week or so on nice days but monitor them especially if leafing out. The sun is much more intense than typical grow lights so they need to acclimate slowly.
          Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

usually, i used to wait till the outside temp is in 50. then again, i got bored and moving pots outside during sunlight and take them into garage when the night comes. not sure what the latest info is, but thought was anything below 40 won't help much with growth.

pete

Comment

Is it safe to put cuttings that haven’t leafed our yet directly into full sun?

Comment

• tinyfish
                tinyfish commented
                Editing a comment
                I would follow what Cguitar said for the cuttings with the leaves and the cuttings that haven't leafed out yet I would also place them in the shade untill they start to leaf out.

I still have not placed cuttings outside yet but I did move some recently up potted cuttings (now baby trees) outside. So far, so good.
              Piney Point Village, Zone 8b

Comment

Working...
              X