X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring temperature

After 3 weeks of adjustment and observation it is clear that temperature measurement in the humidity tank is very inaccurate.
    Your temperature reading is registering in that specific layer with in the tank. And then there are fluctuations in ambient temperature

I have a heat pad and when I got readings of 83F I made my adjustments to stabilize it at 72F plus or minus 2F. A few days later I measured at the mid point of the tank and get a reading of 60F

Even with a thermostat the calibration of the reading is very subjective with swings in temperature.

So what temperature do you like and where are you measuring that temperature is it at the base of the cutting or at the surface of the cutting or where?

I think this is part of the varied success people have. Your 72F may not be the same as other fig folk

Help

Ian
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

I put the probe from the thermostat an inch or two above the bottom of the cutting in the rooting medium. The funny thing is that the cutting with the probe almost always roots first. I pick a plant about 1/3 of the way in from the edge of the group of cuttings.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I use a cup with moist coir but no cutting in it for the probe. At least half way below the surface level of the medium and the bottom of the cup. I want to be sure the bottom of the cup isn't getting too warm seeing the base of the cuttings are down there. Although heat mats are helpful, I had the most problems after I started using one. Always err on the side of little cooler if there is any doubt.
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Instead of trying to maintain the optimal mix temperature. I've been maintaining the "actual ambient temperatures" (75 deg F) around the containers.

My pre-rooting is simply done in an enclosure (cabinet) or room (closet) where the ambient temperature is automatically controlled by a small electric space heater. The warmer - cooler thermostatic control on the heater is adjusted to maintain 75 deg F at the "monitoring" space thermometer.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

This is good. So what is too hot and what is too cold? What is the Goldilocks temperature range when using a humidity tank
          Ian

Comment

Using my cabinet above the fridge which seems to stay 78F.

With a heat mat, I put the probe through a hole in the bottom of the cup at to 76/77F. I figure that would be where it is hottest and I rather be cooler than cooked.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

AscPete and Don, thank you for sharing your methods, I too do not want to make 'steamed fig cutting soup'

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Working...
            X