X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted about fig hunting but now, figs are showing up at my door step!

A couple weeks ago I spoke with a neighbor 5 or 6 houses down that has a pretty yard and a bunch of trees he has planted throughout it. I asked him if he had any fruit trees and he said he did not. We talked briefly about figs and he mentioned his mother had one in her yard, so I told him to grab a couple branches and I could get him a couple small trees out of it to plant in his yard to carry the tree on. I came home today to a few small branches on top of my trash barrel in the driveway. They are finding me now! haha I will root some for myself and see what it turns out to be. After I give him a couple small rootlings I will be sure to mention that airlayering might be a great option as well At the very least it will make good root stock.

These were found we we got home from driving around scouting more fig trees. We found another 12 trees today and when my girlfriend saw these in the driveway she honestly had no idea what to say and just walked in the house LOL
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

plants must be slowly taking over her life...
    i think you are ok for now, as long as you dont get to the dirty look stage
    andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

haha been getting dirty looks for months
      2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

something tells me you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis
        and dont even know it.
        andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          In what way is he screwed Andreas?

• andreas-patras
          andreas-patras commented
          Editing a comment
          @ COGardener

possibly more ways than one... but i would not dare to guess ;-)

Originally posted by andreas-patras View Post
        something tells me you are attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis
        and dont even know it.

Love the big bang reference Andreas. Be careful with the hobby though, we don't want you going too far down the rabbit hole and making her think you're crazy. I mean, i'm sure you are already for figs, but you need to learn to hide the addiction
        May the Figs be with you!
        ​​​​​

Comment

The addiction is strong. I will tell you though, she can now spot a fig tree peeking around a house from 250 ft away. Im proud of her

Comment

That's awesome.

Might be time to take her out for a night on the town.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

I agree, id might try to see if shes up for a lunch date instead (harder to spot figs at night)

Comment

You got a good girl friend at least she didn't put them in the garbage LOL I gave a couple of cuttings to a friend of mine which he rooted and eventually potted up in one gallon pots I stopped over to see how they were doing and he said his wife threw them in the garbage she didn't like the way how they looked on the refrigerator in the garage ??????????
              Wish List -

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                I would have dug them out and replaced them with her.

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              You got a good girl friend at least she didn't put them in the garbage LOL I gave a couple of cuttings to a friend of mine which he rooted and eventually potted up in one gallon pots I stopped over to see how they were doing and he said his wife threw them in the garbage she didn't like the way how they looked on the refrigerator in the garage ??????????
              I didn't realize that the garage affected the decor of a house. Maybe he should have tossed some of her hobby interests in the trash as well because they messed up the Feng Shui.
              Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• Dave
                Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                I told him he should of read to her ezekiel 25:17 The Path of the Righteous Man it would of realigned his Feng Shui

• Visceral
                Visceral commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha, yes indeed.

One thing im lucky with is she cant reach very high so I tend to put the fig stuff higher up just as a safety precaution But she has put up with way more than anyone else would lol. I do most of my rooting on the kitchen table and I have a plant stand that has had over 600 seedlings on it, in the corner of the kitchen. Lets not even start talking about the garage or the rack of almost 100 1 gallon figs in my office. Eeek.

Comment

• Dave
                Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear you I got plastic totes in front of every radiator all over the house it's just part being married to a Fig Monger

She just reminded me that she bought me a 36 site cloner for valentines day and that too is in the kitchen. haha woops

Comment

• Dave
                Dave commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you kidding 36 site cloner for Valentine's Day it might be time to bring your relationship to the next level LOL

• LouNeo
                LouNeo commented
                Editing a comment
                haha I think she tells me the same thing often but all I hear is Fiiiiiiiiigs
            Working...
            X