X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: What saying do you still remembers from childhood ?

In one of my post I believe Fitzy make comment

"your story reminds me of many days fishing with my Dad. I can still here him saying, "keep the tip up" and "don't pull the snag right at you". One time he was caught in the weeds and pulled the line right towards himself and it let loose. The lure came flying right at his head/face and he was lucky enough that it was a little off mark and he ducked his head a little. It ended up catching his hat.

And of course then he said, "that's why you don't pull a snag towards you" "

Is a saying just from his papa to him as exactly worded from my papa to me with the same "he knows he make mistake but followed it up right away as "it was a teaching experience for me"

What saying/experience can you remember as child someone tried to teach or tell you in a quoted way that others may have same experience as fitzy and me?

Or anyone get told.... "You can pick your friend... You can pick your nose... But you can't pick your friend nose !"

I guess is just me trying to bring someone back to a good memory. If silly post my apologies.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

"Come here and change the channel"
    Garden Pics
    http://s117.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      You capise what I portray Sรฌ !

Was probably older television when you walk to tv and turn dial and make loud boom noise?! Ahahaha!

Same to me when we finally get tv.. Papa to tire from job to get off his cullo to change channel! Is what I mean. We complete stranger you and I but knowing same ting !

Belle !

"You can get glad in the same breath you got mad."
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sรฌ is " more or less" define!

More or less ahahah!

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what Dad would tell me and my brother if we got upset after being given some unexpected chore and complained about it. Basically, "Complaining won't change it, so shut up and do your work with a smile on your face."

"What you talking about Willis?
    Iowa Z5

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr Drummond ?

The gold fish is Abraham !๐Ÿ˜†

"That's good enough." My Dad competent, but not a perfectionist.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sรฌ so he teach you to do something and as child you maybe do
      More than he suggest but because he is teach you he say tis " that's good enough"?
      I remember as well saying when I make bubble bath when we get first jacuzzi tub. I ask him to please let me make bubble soap in tub. I put 1/2 bottle and he says me "that's good enough" guess what happen?๐Ÿค—

• GregMartin
      GregMartin commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice! No one ever told me that as a child, but I really like the quote "Perfection is the enemy of good".

"Wish in one hand, S#!* in the other. See which one gets filled first" That was what my ever the optimist Aunt loved to say.
    Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      My hand still smell๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿฝ

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
    In one of my post I believe Fitzy make comment

"your story reminds me of many days fishing with my Dad. I can still here him saying, "keep the tip up" and "don't pull the snag right at you". One time he was caught in the weeds and pulled the line right towards himself and it let loose. The lure came flying right at his head/face and he was lucky enough that it was a little off mark and he ducked his head a little. It ended up catching his hat.

And of course then he said, "that's why you don't pull a snag towards you" "
    Yes, Mike this was a good memory of my Dad and I still laugh when I think of this particular incident. Of course it was one of many.

Another was when he was chopping wood, swung the axe, hit a clothesline and then the axe hit him in the head. A trip to ER was necessary for that one for him and it took a few weeks for his humor to return and he said and "that's why you always move the axe over and around you in all directions before you swing."

My eldest brother has now taken over the mantel of doing stupid things and then saying "and that's why you don't do that".

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Another spring like day here in Eastern MA.

Just finished re-potting some figs.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Remind me of George carlin comedy ... (I No say anything happen to you papa is funny my apologies) but carlin make skit about say "ever wonder what an axe go thru you skull feel like"?

• fitzski
      fitzski commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking back, it's funny

George Carlin was my Dad's favorite comedian.

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love his list of words.... Man was very funny...

Really OT: Who can quote movie? And no member either I refer too ahahaha!
    Igor.... You known what my father use say to me????
    GeneW... "What did he say"
    Igor.... " what the hell you do in bathroom day and night... Why don't you come out there and give someone else a chance!!" BIG POTATOE BITE๐Ÿ˜ณ What hump..... No no funny man no drink to much tonight.... I Just think about all tis things members people have similar make me think we all very close. You all my family

"Funny man adopted" but we'll take him... He's good Cugino....

Comment

It's not what you want but what you have that matters. That was my dads saying and I guess that applies here. Thanks Fabio
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tis is great Cugino. I remember to hear similar ...

"Don't ever let someone tell you that you can't have something you want, show them you have what it takes to get it"

With two sisters, one of us was always throwing a temper tantrum. My favorite saying from my mom was "You want me to give you something to cry about?" ... which is a terrible thing to say, I suppose, but it always made us stop crying!
      Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        ooohhhhhh yessss!

• joann1536
        joann1536 commented
        Editing a comment
        Heard that one about a million times, too!

Va Zappa si vua sordi ( Go to work if you want money)
      I used to buy a lot of lottery tickets when I was young trying to get rich quick and He was trying to tell me there is no easy way

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        "Ayeeee..! What? You tink money growns on trees" ????

when I would screw something up my dad would say with a smile," well Jerry the world needs ditch diggers too."now I'm obsessed with figs,coincidence read the book lol

Comment

My mother would tell me to stop crying, else she would give me something to cry about.

I am a very inquisitive person, always asking questions. Sometimes when I ask my dad a question he would say, "are you writing a book"? I would answer with a yes, then he would say, "well leave that chapter out".
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Taverna78
          Taverna78 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahahahaha!! You would answer yes in sarcastic way to be smarty back to him?

How about " if you don't knock it off i ganna turn tis car right around and your not going anywhere but home"!

Or I remember I was real in trouble when mamma say..." Nope.... No No....I am no ganna deal with tis.... Wait until you Papa get home...you just stay in you room until he do..."

Now we live in home where my bedroom was upstair over garage and the garage had bolt/chain drive garage door opener... Loud! You kind of forget that you in trouble because you playing in you room... Mamma no yell at you and you do you thing... But then you hear it... I could be so focused in the middle of the most intense game ever a bomb could go off outside and would no phase me except ... The garage door opens....you get that hot tingle feeling goosebumps and you stop everything like deer in headlights. Frozen almost..... You kind of jump a little when you hear the car door close.... And then you sink down into the abyss of blankets in the corner as you hear the big garage door close realizing you are in deep.....

Now I was smart(sometimes) I knew when he will come home... And I was dead man walking.... I would be in my room trying to find anything and everything I could that we ever did together or something special he give me that I never played with or put up on display in my room so when he open my door fueled up by mamma coming in with "the belt or the slipper(they give up on wooden spoon)" I would have his luck fishing hat on he give me,with radio on very low volume classic rock station (he love classic rock) Pretending to be asleep with our baseball mitts and ball right next me.... I was good...., but that didn't last too long either bud did work for a while! Ahahaha!
        Last edited by Taverna78; 02-22-2016, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• joann1536
          joann1536 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same as my dad's footsteps heading down the hallway. I knew I was in for it the minute I heard it.

• Taverna78
          Taverna78 commented
          Editing a comment
          You have ear to floor or door listen for wood creek under his steps? Ahahaha

Grandpa would say "Hard head makes a fair ass" Gran would say "You never know how you look untill you get your picture took. Aunt Annie would say "You know God don't like ugly. Keep Making that face."

Comment

Ahahahaha! I really no known how to say correctly... Noni say to us when we smart ti pants.....

se si continua a fare questa faccia รจ la volontร  di rimanere in questo modo brutto ....

Comment

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            If you keep making that face, it will stay that way.

Haha

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Comment

I don't remember any sayings, but I remember this: (door opens) "Get out!"

My brother and I were rowdy in the house and were told to get out and play or beat each other up. We had the run of the town on our bicycles, with swim trunks, fishing poles, the lot. I always came home dirty, wet, and hungry. The good life.
            Arne - Northern NJ - Zone 6A

Comment

But is amaze to you now as adult no matter how upset you make you parents when you come back dirty wet and hungry some how you were feed,cleaned up and clean clothes next morning no?

tings we took for granted as child Sรฌ ... And now some of us as adults are feeding,bathing and laundry for our parents....not that we feel Sorry for them and is our duty to do so but to do so for them I think is nature programmed us to naturally care for them as elders as they cared for us as child...Amaze to me...
              Last edited by Taverna78; 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

"Money doesn't grow on trees you know!"

Here's one I heard often enough "That's why they are called accidents..", I'm not talking about #1 or #2 here folks!

My mom used to tell one of my brothers "If Danny jumped off of a cliff, would you do it too?" sometimes it was "Jumped down a well..."

"There's starving children in Africa who would love to eat that!" I didn't agree.

Not a saying really, but a funny from my childhood none the less, "What is the last thing to go through a bug's mind when it hit's the windshield? It's butt."

My Uncle used to say to his son, all the time. "Shut-up and eat it, it's good for you!"

"You'll catch your death of the cold" Really? I don't think that's how you catch a cold.

"When I was a kid we walked up hill both ways in snow storms just to get to go to school."

"Step on a crack, break your momma's back."

"Don't drink coffee, it will stunt your growth" Whaaat?

"Don't make me turn this car around!"

"If you keep your eyes crossed for too long they might stay that way." Can you imagine all the cross-eyed children there would be...

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" I think there may have been a stretch where I didn't say much.
                Last edited by cis4elk; 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM.
                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Starving kids in Africa I relate to as well... I made mom deal... She would say that and I will say " fine if dog will eat little bite of it I will understand you no want me to waste good food someone else will eat and I will finish it"
                  90% time dog no eat it and the 10% of the time he did I made sure to give him bigger piece so I no have to finish so much!

Tiredly: "Don't call your sister a pimple-winker."
                Sarah
                Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Sarahkt
                  Sarahkt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol. My sisters and I used to play a game of taking turns calling one another a creative insult, usually during long car trips. Mostly it was things like "You are the PUS that grows in the WART that lives in the PIMPLE in the bottom side of my LEFT butt cheek." "YEAH? Well YOU are the.. " And on and on. You can imagine how my parents loved overhearing these exchanges during a four-hour trip to go camping.

My creative return volley one game was "pimple-winker" because I described it very vividly -- a huge pimple on a face that had been torn open at the tip so it looked like a volcano, then an eye looking through it at you and WINKING. I won that round, and was so happy with the win that I tried re-using it multiple times in later games. Which is against the rules. Plus, the imagery is horrifying and no one wants to think of the pimple-winker visual for too long.

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Belle! I think ahahaha!

But also is funny you bring it up .....

Is funny you remember as well me that when siblings play silly game "silly" there is rules! Capise ?

I.e.

PUNCH BUG BLUE! "No fair is has brake light out as well"!

Who pay tis much attention ! We just want free punch! AHahahah!

• Sarahkt
                  Sarahkt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah, yes. Those were the days.

heres a good one..... when i asked my dad what he was doing i got the response "skinning cat fur to make kitten britches"

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My papa also make silly responses when I ask as well... Most time he say..."building a spaceship to fly you far far away from here!

not sure it's a saying but I heard a lot of 1 2 3

Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And you will always wait to see the lip curl of "three" to behave just before they said it. ahahaha

My dad aparently couldn't count and you didn't want to get that look.
                Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Taverna78
                  Taverna78 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember the look..... Mostly from mother... Like eyes ganna bug out of her head....
                  As I got older I learned if I can get them to laugh before the discipline started I was golden...
                  So everytime she get big eyes I will say "AYE BUG EYES"! Relax! They ganna fallout and then you can't chase me around the house! And worked quite well by the way ๐Ÿ˜Ž

How many times you try to be sneaky and they catch you and say "wadda you think I'm an idiot?" And how many of you got a smack for saying "yes" under you breathe !

Comment

Working...
                X