X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free fig trees new jersey

.I have lots of trees up for grabs zip 07936 ​I will make a list and send in order I get pm's
    I
    Last edited by bigfig; 02-22-2016, 10:05 AM.

Great offer - Message sent.

Just wondering, are you getting out of the game?
    May the Figs be with you!
    ​​​​​

Comment

ohno just have over a 100 trees need to depart some my doubles and triples

Comment

Originally posted by bigfig View Post
        ohno just have over a 100 trees need to depart some

Wow - That is a lot of trees to care for. I'm sure there are many good foster parents on the board who would be lucky enough to care for some. Myself included
        May the Figs be with you!
        ​​​​​

Comment

Hmmmmm, you're only 3 1/2 hours away.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

pm sent. thanks

Comment

Are you shipping or is pick up only?
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Im sure it would be easier to move those trees if they had a good prune first If you end up with a bunch of cuttings let those of us that live further away, know Good luck with the rehoming!
                2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

I have for free WILL LIST MORE NEXT WEEK IF ALL GOES WELL (PICK UP ONLY WILL LEAVE ORDERS IN DRIVEWAY FOR YOU )
                  SIDELL BLACK 1
                  CHICAGO HARDY4
                  ITALIAN HONEY 3
                  BLACK JACK 2
                  UNK BRUNWICK 2
                  ZUMWALT 3
                  DOMNICKS SWEET DIANA1
                  DESSERT KING 2
                  1 BLACK UNK 1
                  GARDEN TREE UNK 1
                  STELLA 1
                  OP 1
                  DOTTATO 1
                  NATALINA 1(VERY SMALL PLANT)
                  ATTILIO PURPLE 1(ALSO 2 AIR LAYERS UP FOR GRAB)
                  DALMATIN (AIR LAYER)
                  GARDEN STATE GREEN (AIR LAYER + CUTTINGS )
                  ​LDA 4

Comment

What a great offer, and that's really generous of you. If I wasn't already swimming in plants I'd make the trip out. I'm only about 1 1/2 hours away.

Comment

Just started collecting, great offer too bad I am in Tennessee or I'd be one of the 1st in line. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Bigfig - is Zumwalt any good? I remember the ebay picture of the mother tree covered in snow and the large fruit but I've not seen a lot of mention after the ebay auction 5 or 6 years ago.
                        FAQ: https://tinyurl.com/ydy46as5
                        Zone 7a Wish List: Sodus Sicilian, Nordland, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

I believe it is very similar to desert king.

Comment

I've got Zumwalt in a pot. I've had it for ~4 years. Yes, it's either identical or very similar to Desert King -- a fairly vigorous San Pedro (brebas only without the wasp); fruit has green exterior, reddish interior.

There was a lot of hype about it years ago. As I recall, there was speculation that it is extra hardy. I'm skeptical, though I haven't tried it in-ground here so I have no evidence. But I'd treat it as a synonym for DK.

bigfig -- Am I right assuming that you keep in it pots? Any feedback on hardiness.
                            Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Thanks Brian and Joe. Back when the Zumwalt was on ebay I did not know about San Pedro type figs. I am going to pick up a DK or perhaps Zumwalt next year and see if I can get some fruit in 2018
                              Zone 7a Wish List: Sodus Sicilian, Nordland, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

Just two follow-up thoughts -- First, the tree itself is probably a lot hardier than the breba buds. Second, the breba buds may be very sensitive to variations in temp. I took mine out of the garage last April, when the tree was beginning to leaf out. Frankly, the garage had probably gotten too warm for the time of year. Then there was a week or so of cold, windy weather -- no frost but 35-45F. Say goodbye to the brebas. For a San Pedro, the year is then over.

Optimally, I think you'd store the tree at 30-45F from November through April, then take it outside in early May still fully dormant.
                                Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

I'm a newbie and would like to start growing my own figs. I live in Malaysia and would like to grow figs. Does anyone here is kind enough to share some of your cuttings to a newbie like me? I would be very grateful. -

Comment

• COGardener
                                    COGardener commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    There are people that live in Malaysia that will likely help you out.

Welcome to the forum.

Joe - do you have any in ground figs in your zone that produce fruit for you? I will be moving to your hardiness zone when I retire and want to make sure I am growing figs that can make it. Protected or unprotected. Breba only or both crops. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Atlatl --

Absolutely. Fyi, I purchased the in-ground trees -- that was before I tried cuttings. The purchased plants generally had trunks roughly 2" thick. Florea (4th year in ground) produced >200 figs this year. Paradiso (also 4th) produced ~150 as did MBvs (2rd year). Hardy Chicago (3rd) produced ~100; RdB (2nd) ~80. For each of these, I also had major losses to critters (not counted above) until I started trapping them. The only in-ground plant that has struggled to produce fruit is Lattarula, in part because I broke the main trunk last year prepping it for winter.

Also, I took very significant air layers off Florea and RdB this year; Paradiso, HC, and Lattarula last year. This reduced yield, especially for RdB.

These in-ground plants are pruned low and long -- trunks 1-2' high, laterals 4-8' long on each side but only ~2-3' wide.

Stay in touch and I'll keep you posted. FYI, I planted two purchased plants -- Sal's EL and Wallington Blue (probably Brooklyn White) in-ground this year. I started a lot of cuttings last year and I plan to put roughly 6 more of those plants in-ground next year. Varieties that may go in-ground next year include Nordland, St Rita, JH Adriatic, Salem Dark, Black Greek, Black Bethlehem, Malta Black, Danny's Delight, Improved Celeste, Laradek's EBT, and Hanc's EBT.
                                    Joe, Z6B, RI.

Comment

Thank you Joe. I have a Paradiso GM #9 in a pot. It survived last year in the pot outside unprotected all winter in zone 7 (not sure if A or B). This year I added small RdB, Pakistani Brown, LaRadek EBT, and a few others that are all in the garage due to our back to back 19F and 15F nights this week.

I will keep an eye on progress and post mine as well.

Comment

Working...
                                      X