X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Shuffle Temperature Question Please

Last year was my first venture into growing figs. Thanks to many of the generous folks on this forum I am learning all the time. Like many comments I have noticed, the unusually warm weather has started my unheated garage figs to push buds and a few have opened some leaves. What temperature is it okay to start the hardening off process. I am concerned because we have a lot of frosty weather still coming in our zone 6a/b but some pretty nice daytime temperature off and on. Most of my small (one gallon pots) plants are on a cart, so taking them in and out of the garage is not too difficult. Thanks to all for your input and advise.
    SW MO Zone 6a

I generally start shuffling when we start having a few longer stretches of mid 60-70 degree days and the nights
    are in the 50's. In my area it is usually in mid March.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Thanks newnandawg. Do you have any issues with some leaving out while still inside before the warmer days. I didn't know if that hurt the trees or didn't pose much of a problem. Thanks again.
      SW MO Zone 6a

Comment

• newnandawg
        newnandawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really. I just let the 60 or so trees in the unheated garage do their thing. If they are leafed out when I start the shuffle
        I try to start them off in part shade or cloudy days to give them a chance to acclimate. The worse thing that can happen
        is those leaves burn and fall off. then more new leaves will replace them.

I've had some of mine that have been pushing buds and leaves since mid- to late-December. I've just kept them under lights for 12-16 hours per day and let them do their thing.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

It's a problem when the plants in the garage break buds. If you leave them in the garage the growth will be long and lanky and weak. I open my garage door at night and in the early morning to get the plants as cold as possible in the transition months. That will delay bud break on the remaining plants and slow growth on the growing ones. The more light you can get on the growing ones the healthier they'll be. You could shuffle just the growing ones in and out or use lights as DBJohnson mentioned but avoid heating the plant. Keep it cold and slow growing until it's safe for it to stay outside unless you want it to get a head start and hopefully produce early figs. Then you have to give it enough light and heat to flourish but not out grow your system until it's safe to put outside or shuffle.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I start my shuffle when the temperature hits 50 , I take them out in the day pull them back inside for the night until the temperature stays over 50, then they stay out all the time unless we get frost.
          Vito

Comment

I'm contemplating building a pallet dolly in case i have to do the fig shuffle, i have too many young plants to take out frequently. This link shows the basic construction, but instead of filling with dirt, i would just keep it "as-is" in the picture below to move the plants in and out of the garage. I would also attach a rope or handle to move it and get castors from harbor freight.

http://lovelygreens.com/2015/05/how-...d-planter.html

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            May the Figs be with you!
            ​​​​​

Comment

Working...
            X