X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old Verte/Ischia Green/SV debate

Where does that stand nowadays? IIRC, Verte/Ischia Green are SUPPOSED to be the same, but depending on the vendor they may not be (if that made sense...), while SV was it's own fig. Anyone have a preference between the three? There are some good figs4fun threads on the subject, but most of them are at least a couple years old. Thoughts on hardiness? Flavor? Production? I know climate/soil/caprification can all cause differences, but there should at least be some trends.
    Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Pardon my newbie-ness....what is SV?

I'm very interested in this subject as I have several really nice rooted Ischia Green cuttings and a rooted Verte.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      Strawberry Verte, I assume.

• brettjm
      brettjm commented
      Editing a comment
      Strawberry Verte indeed

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I decided not to collect these because I already have Battaglia Green. I think I read that BG is highly similar to Ischia Green/Verte but it would be interesting to hear other's experiences about this.
    Steve
    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      I have Adriatic JH and it seems a bit different to me than Battaglia Green but I'm still evaluating. AJH is an earlier fig which is a big advantage because I have been growing both in-ground and so far the BG hasn't had the time to ripen very many figs.

• mgginva
      mgginva commented
      Editing a comment
      Battaglia Green and Ischia Green are NOT the same. Not even close. Both are favorites of mine and as a matter of fact I rated BG as my best tasting in both 2014 and 15. Green Ischia is very under rated in my opinion. Neither are that close to Adriatic JH in my opinion. All 3 are excellent figs and cold hardy. I wish they ripened earlier, but . . .

• mgginva
      mgginva commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve,
      They are similar as they are green with the beautiful deep red pulp, but for me Battaglia Green is less similar to the others (JHA, GI, BdDS, VS, CdDB, etc.).
      Come out this summer when ripe and see for your self.
      mgg

SV is a superb fig, similar to AJH but more productive and appears to be earlier. BG is a late fig. If you have all 3, you are fully covered and your season is from June to November ( at least in the SoCal).
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• brettjm
      brettjm commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! I hope my SV is the real deal. Our local botanical garden had a nice healthy bush labeled as strawberry verte. I snagged a pitiful little twig with poor growth going towards the center of the plant (and I still felt bad taking it...I donated 20 dollars my next visit), and its been a strong rooter. Not very fast, but man...that thing sends out roots nearly as thick as the cutting!

I don't know that I can tell much of any real difference between the fruit of Battaglia Green, Paradiso GM-9, JH Adriatic, and Calverte all that I grow. I've had no success fruiting Verte and Green Ischia but when I look up their fruit online, also Strawberry Verte, it generally looks very similar to that of these four. So then I turn to the leaves. Sometimes I think I see differences between the leaves and sometimes it seems I don't. These may all be different names of the same cultivar. Maybe not, but maybe so -- would take some serious testing I think to find out.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• brettjm
      brettjm commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like some of them have to be moderately different. I know Adriatic JH is somewhat cold hardy, but a few folks on here get dieback on it here in GA. Meanwhile, whatever the SV is at our botanical gardens hasn't had any dieback since it's been planted (3 years, I think). Ischia green is supposed to be extra cold hardy as well. It will be interesting to trial all of them.

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't be surprised if there are two cultivars to be found among these half dozen or more names. Possibly more. Or less! Paradiso GM-9 and Battaglia Green seem clearly identical to me. JH Adriatic I need more experience with. Calverte is the one that seems like it might be most different, at least from Paradiso and Battaglia. Seems to have less of a neck and maybe more ridging. It also ripens earlier than the others. I hesitate to draw much conclusion though because I have this in pot only, on cement, whereas all the others are in pots but with roots that extend into ground. Thus the micro growing situations differ quite a bit, greatly complicating comparisons.

Not that I can add much to the discussion, but as I stated earlier I have a Green Ischia cutting that is going gangbusters. Looking forward to growing this one out over the next few years.
    Attached Files
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Laeotis
      Laeotis commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to find info on green ischia leaf shape, to see if what I have is true to type.
      This picture looks most like what I have, do you have any current pics of the leaves.
      I seems like two different varieties are floating around of the green ischia

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately I don’t. That was one of the many figs that didn’t make it through last winter.

I am growing all of them side by side. They were all started last year, I hope I can post some observations and pics later on this year.
    Last edited by COGardener; 02-26-2016, 10:45 AM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Here are photos of mine.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have SV and GI. They are NOT the same for me, though similar. Overall I was a bit disappointed in GI last year, just not particularly outstanding and on the smaller side as far as fruit goes. The SV impressed me because it was resistant to splitting during autumnal rains. The Battaglia is a much larger fruit, and in my view far superior tasting. A good Adriatic JH beats all of the above.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Last summer's photos of Battaglia Green, Paradiso GM-9, Calverte, and JH Adriatic.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 11 photos.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• mgginva
            mgginva commented
            Editing a comment
            Tony,
            I have a Battaglia Green that can be traced back to the forties at Foley Castle in Petersburg, Va. It is definitely the correct BG. Your pictures of BG do not look like BG to me. If you remind me in April I'll send you a cutting. My favorite figs are the green/red - berry tasting ones and I have perhaps a dozen (or more) of them.
            Adriatic, Adriatic JH, BG, Blanch de Deux Saisson, Calvert, CdD Blanc, Monstruese, Rockaway Green, Visalia Sika plus to a lesser extent - Emerald Strawberry, Brooklyn White,Lyndhurst White and I know I'm leaving out a few - probably more then a few.
            BTW BG and Green Ischia are both very cold hardy.
            I think Ischia Green is very under-rated. And, btw - BG and CdD -B are always in my top five flavor-wise.

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I think my BG is the correct one though. It looks a lot like the BG photos I find online. The source is Encanto. I know mix-ups can happen, but I also know that local and micro-climate conditions can cause variations too, year-to-year. Plus it's a young tree. Maybe it will look more like what you are used to as it matures. Wholly agreed that a lot these green-red figs are top notch in flavor, in fact all of them apart from Lyndhurst White and Conadria when they get too watery. Even non-watery Lyndhurst White and Conadria are very good.
        Working...
        X