X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I having a "maybe thought"???

because subject come up often about pots in ground also root pruning.
    I feel for people that have the space have trees in ground during season is best. I also known that having 10-50-100+ trees in ground in my zone is a big job to protect in winter. So last winter I potted all my trees in ground but in the pots with holes drilled into the pots so the roots can stretch out. (They did very much) so tis way come winter I pull them up and keep on shed over winter months. So my thought... May no make sense but is why I am to ask.

What about planting tree in ground but in air pruning pot? Almost same thing as pots with holes but when roots come out holes they continue to grown and then when you pull pot out the roots already pruned and ready to sleep? Then just re plant next year...

Silly idea??
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Sounds like a good idea. Question is has anyone tried it. If not...you are going to have to try it. Ha ha ha.

Comment

Are you talking about something like this?

http://air-pot.com/garden/

I think these are meant to used above ground.

If you planted them I think you'd have roots growing out the sides of the pots.

That's just my opinion though.
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sì. Tis is point although. The roots grown out pot and help tree thrive. But when go dormant pull pot out and air prune roots so no have to pull tree out of pot to root prune.

I'm trying to do just that with 5 gallon buckets with 1" holes drilled all around the sides. Plant it after the last chance of frost and dig it up at the end of the year after it goes dormant trimming off all of the roots that grow outside of the pots. I don't currently have any plans to remove them from the buckets to do any pruning there.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• Taverna78
        Taverna78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is what I do like tis you say last year. Work great. I make 1/4 in holes around bottom of pot sides and roots come out every hole

Hi mike.
      My thoughts on this is, use heavy duty nursery pots, plug the holes in the bottom of the pots put holes in the sides and plant your trees, the roots come out of the side,
      In the fall when your ready to put them away spade the outside of the pots cutting the roots and pull them out, and you already did your root pruning.
      Good luck my friend.
      Vito

Hey Don. We just posted the same Idea at the same time. ( great mlnds think alike )

Comment

Ciao Vito. Sì is exact how I do last year. No hole on bottom only sides...
        But I keep root mass only because we are try find good in expense way to winterize while they in ground but all of them. The underground vault is full already and can no mane another vault because of things under ground.

Comment

Mike,

IMO, planting an air pruning pot in ground almost defeats the designed purpose and will create an enormous amount of extra work digging out the pots in fall.

The partial burial methods as discussed, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...to-bury-or-not provides all the benefits of in-ground burial without the additional work of digging out the massive roots that will escape an actual air pruning pot. As mentioned above pots without (or blocked) bottom holes, with drain holes only on the side can and will function as superb burial pots for fig trees. Good Luck.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Sì Sì i am capise on no bottom holes... Only side holes... Is exactly what I do with my pots last year....

although air prune pots have root grown out
            Of special hole and touch air is prune si?

SO. If I put air prune pot with tree in ground root to come out special pot will not ouch air but soil and grown....until I pull special pot from soul and let root outside pot touch air perfectly pruning no?

Comment

I agree with AscPete, if you put the air pots in ground, you are basically allowing the roots to grow through the many mnay holes in side of the pots and into the soil.

IMO, this will basically create a large root ball many times the size of the pot. All the extra roots will have to trimmed before removing the pots from the ground. If you only had a few holes in side of nursery pots, it would allow your figs roots to wander more and be a little easier to dig in the fall.

The figs would probably love the air pots though.
              Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Taverna78
                Taverna78 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooohhhhh capise so you say tis because will be more root then few hole in buckets and will be harder to take out of ground wth resistance from so many roots... i see

I've chosen a somewhat reversed method to growing in Z5. I plant the figs directly into the ground in May. Then shortly after the first frost in late September, early October I start digging up the figs, prune both the tops and roots and then store them in the cellar in pots. The figs don't seem to mind and grow well.
              John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

• fitzski
                fitzski commented
                Editing a comment
                So you basically root prune your trees every year throw them in pots for winter storage. How is your production every year? What varieties reliably ripen for you?

Sì we have done tis for years also but the trees seem to grown much larger faster if we leave the roots intact and just cover the tree well.

Comment

I see my post did not got through, so I will try again.

There are three methods of root "pruning" in pots that I am aware of.
                1. Air pruning - roots quit growing when exposed to air (won't work with air pruning pot buried in soil)
                2. Entrapment - fabric pots trap the growing end of the root and it then quits growing
                3. Chemical pruning - use of coatings in pots with copper product stop root growth upon contact

I think for your purposes, you should look into #2. Their are different competing products, but this is one I am most familiar with: http://rootmaker.com/retail/29
                My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Grazie Cugino.... I think more or less I need focus on fast to apply but better winter protection for in ground trees without putting greenhouse over 100+ trees rather uprooting every year or trying to keep in pots. We have a pretty good brainstorm we just waiting for couple more tings to fall into place.

Comment

• HarveyC
                    HarveyC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think you just need to move to a place near mine.

Some great suggestions on this topic!

Last summer for my large containers I also tried the partial burial method discussed above and it definitely helped a lot!
                  The area I used got full sun all day so I still had challenges keeping them watered and cooled. Also needed to maintain their feeding.
                  What I like about growing them in ground is not having to worry about any of that and for me getting many more figs!

I like what you are planning! Would love to hear some of that brainstorming you are doing.
                  For me rather than have 100+ trees in ground I am targeting 40 in ground. (Have 17 now).

On F4F I saw some photos from Russia where they built a trench, boxed it in with insulating material, kept figs low step-over and covered with insulated board and burlap for winter. It looked interesting. Never saw any follow up so don't know how it worked out. Found the photos published on f4f;.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pino; 03-01-2016, 04:47 PM. Reason: updated with info on photos
                  Pino, Niagara, Zone 6, WL; variegated figs, breba producers & suggestions welcome
                  Breba photos / Main crop fig photos
                  Canada Fig Growers

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
                    Grazie Cugino.... I think more or less I need focus on fast to apply but better winter protection for in ground trees without putting greenhouse over 100+ trees rather uprooting every year or trying to keep in pots. We have a pretty good brainstorm we just waiting for couple more tings to fall into place.
                    Tell me about it. Yesterday belle warm budding trees. Today snow storm

Comment

Working...
                    X