X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help determine my next step

I have 5 precious cuttings in Cocotek coir mixed with 25% perlite allowed to fluff and re-hydrate. The medium is not at all wet. All five have 2 good buds. But as I did not rinse the coir first is there any way to determine if salt is an issue?

Do I

1 Leave them as they are in shaded humidity dome at 75F
    2 Leave them as they are and increase light and slightly open dome
    3 Rinse some new coir and perlite mix and replant - if roots have emerged will they be damaged? is the risk worth the reward
    4 Abandon hope and buy 5 more cuttings from HarveyC

Help me

Ian

Last edited by The Figster; 02-27-2016, 10:13 AM.
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Ian

Comment

How long since you first potted them?
      Zone 8B Willamette Valley, Oregon

Wishlist: , Planera, Del sen juam gran, NSDC, De la Gloria, Greco Nero.

Comment

I would say leave alone. Just make sure is enough moisture in cups for rooting. They look well
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I don't know what to tell you, Ian. Wish I did. Looking at the picture and assuming these have been set up for 4 or 5 days, I'd say you should be OK--that's based completely on my extremely limited experience. I think the fact that they are breaking bud and don't seem to be shriveling up like a mummy is a good sign.
          Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

I've never rinsed coir. Mold isn't an issue either.

Comment

5. send them to hammerwood.

Actually, I would still leave them in the closed humidity dome with short periods of fresh air each day. When they leaf is when I would begin to transition them to your number 2 choice. For me (and probably most people) the critical point is weaning them from the humidity dome.
              Rick - Port Isabel, Texas / zone - 10a

Comment

If you're brave wet some fresh coir and taste it. If it doesn't taste salty (like the ocean) then it's good.

If you have to move them submerge the cups in warm water and wave your hand or use a pump to rinse the coir out of the cup and any roots will be unharmed.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Thank you for the interest and valuable answers

DBills, they have been potted 10 days, the bud growth cam when I was able to better sustain 75F over the last 5 days
                  Fabio - Thank you for the encouragement
                  DB - I looked closely at the stems and there does appear to be some slight ridges on the cuttings but nothing out of the ordinary
                  Brian M - I am so happy to hear you say that
                  Hammerwood - I like your style... I will increase open air time
                  Harborseal - It does not taste like the ocean! which is a good sign

Ian
                  Ian

Comment

Working...
                  X