X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re natural dried fig in store

I have seen some natural dried figs available in Trader's Joe Have anyone tried them before ? How does it taste ? Any advantage or disadvantage if compare to fresh Fig ?

A dry fig never compares to a fresh fig, for me anyway. That said, no fig is a bad fig and some of the dried figs are quite tasty.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

TJ's has some of the worst dried fruit I've ever had.

Jenny and Galil has some of the best dried figs, with Jenny being superior. Also, the dried Pajarero fig is just as extraordinary as any good fresh fig. It's seriously one of the greatest.

Not getting paid for this.
      Last edited by Levar; 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hi Levar, I bought Calimyra Fig from Trader's Joe last week and the taste is just O.K. I might buy Jenny brand dried Pajaero fig from TJ this week end as recommended.
        Attached Files

Comment

Levar - where do you find the Pajarero figs? I had some from a grocery in Cinci a while back that were pretty good but have not seen them locally (PA) and my son does not live in Cinci any more. Has anyone else seen them at chains?
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Originally posted by eboone View Post
            Levar - where do you find the Pajarero figs? I had some from a grocery in Cinci a while back that were pretty good but have not seen them locally (PA) and my son does not live in Cinci any more. Has anyone else seen them at chains?
            I've found them at Whole Foods. They're sold by Mitica and they come in a "fig cake" called Pan de Higos, which is really just figs and almonds pressed together. The photo below has walnuts, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0721-e1311025982975.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	73596

They also sell them covered in chocolate but I've never had this. I'm not a huge fan of that; the chocolate kind of just gets in the way of the fig.

I've never seen them in bulk or as whole fruits but the pan de higos is honestly good enough for me. I know you can buy just the figs online but they are a little pricey.

For those of you who haven't had them, those little guys are fantastic in terms of both flavor and aroma. A true success story of the dried fig world.

And btw, I've had a lot of crappy fresh figs. I haven't yet had a bad Pajarero.
            Last edited by Levar; 02-29-2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I might have to check out whole foods and trader joes for these dried pajarero figs.

Did you ever get a cuttings for this variety Ed?
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Levar - I had a couple of packages of imported (from Spain) 'bulk' Pajareros, found at the Kroger grocery chain (not in my area), packaged by "Murray's"(a cheese company), and several of them were sour, majority were VERY good. And that fig cake looks great!

Don - I wanted to try growing Pajarero but the only grower in the NE who had it, Rafael, was disappointed in it - likely needs a longer hotter growing season and I don't have a greenhouse (yet). And the several dozen home dried figs I did last year were all better than any of the many different dried figs I have had from CA, Greece, Turkey or Spain, even though they were grown in my crappy PA zone 6a climate.
                Ed
                SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                X