X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Celeste

Anybody know where I can buy some Improved Celeste cuttings now? For some reason it's one of the few ones I failed to root. As a second choice I would be willing to buy a plant. I am not looking for a gift.

Check out Petals from the Past, and Edible Landscaping, they both have figs sold as O'Rourke. If I recall from past post, both of those O'Rourkes are actually Improved Celeste. Whether they are both the same version of IC I don't know but some of the other members could surely tell.
    John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

Greenfin still has Improved Celeste plants up for sale on his site for $7. As far as cuttings go, I haven't seen any recently.

Comment

Just Fruits and Exotics has both improved celeste and O'Rourke. Durio Nursery sells one under the name improved celeste and O'Rourke.

Comment

Can't go wrong with $7. Go with Greenfin as suggested in post 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple View Post
            Check out Petals from the Past, and Edible Landscaping, they both have figs sold as O'Rourke. If I recall from past post, both of those O'Rourkes are actually Improved Celeste. Whether they are both the same version of IC I don't know but some of the other members could surely tell.

Found that thread: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....pid=1283936812

A little disappointing.. I bought one from them last year.
            Zone 7A - Philadelphia
            Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

Ross. Then let me buy it from you and you won't be disappointed anymore. Ha ha. I'm serious though.

Comment

Blackfoot12,

The Edible Landscaping's O'Rourke has been a 1-3 lobed Improved Celeste (LSU Improved Celeste aka Improved Celeste O'Rourke Not)...., http://ediblelandscaping.com/product...ORourkeFig.php . It produces figs and leaves that are similar to a typical 1-3 lobed Improved Celeste and will produce good tasting figs.

Previous discussions which always seem to cause confusion, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...proved-celeste,
                O'Rourke Released in 2007, tested as L57-11-103, selected in 1960 from a cross made in 1956... This selection has previously been unofficially named and propagated as ‘Improved Celeste’; however, ‘Improved Celeste’ is not necessarily the same as ‘O'Rourke
                As you may know the quoted statement was printed in the official release document and has added to the unnecessary confusion about the Improved Celeste name...
                To clarify there are cultivars that are called Improved Celeste, but only one cultivar (L57-11-103) which was called Improved Celeste in trials was renamed and released as O'Rourke in 2007.

The attached link has info of several nurseries, including Edible Landscaping that carry the a 1-3 lobed Improved Celeste (O'Rourke Not)... Good Luck.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• ross
                  ross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pete. I bought an Orourke from EL 3 years ago. I've had it in ground.
                  This year it is showing 3-5 lobed leaves while previous years I've seen the 1-3 lobes only. The fruit actually does look like O'Rourke. Now I'm wondering. Can you share photos of yours? I'll post mine when I get home.

• Garlic_Mike
                  Garlic_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Pete!

I could not find that info to list before, and people were confused by too many opinions.

Ross, I have both about three years old. I will take a look at the leaves for you tomorrow.

I would think there is a good probability they are close. The varieties were created from Celeste x Capri fig combinations.

My baseline to compare will be my Hollier. Ripened until lightly checked was great!
                  Last edited by Garlic_Mike; 08-01-2018, 11:14 PM.

Dan's observation on both Improved Celeste & O'rourke is commendable. I have both. Their ripen figs does differ in color and taste. I prefer
                the Improved Celeste taste over O'rourke. In my zone, Improved Celeste ripens earlier than O'rourke. Both plants are in pot culture. Both are
                keepers.

Comment

Quote; ross
                  Pete. I bought an Orourke from EL 3 years ago. I've had it in ground. This year it is showing 3-5 lobed leaves while previous years I've seen the 1-3 lobes only. The fruit actually does look like O'Rourke. Now I'm wondering. Can you share photos of yours? I'll post mine when I get home.
                  O'Rourke EL aka Improved Celeste (ICON)
                  The figs will range in color from Tan to Purple depending on ripening conditions from Cool to Warm / Sunny, respectively...

Typical leaves and figs...

A side by side comparison to an actual O'Rourke Breba fig...
                  Note; O'Rourkes have tight / closed eyes even when ripe while Improved Celeste has small open eyes / osteoles.

And a plate of O'Rourke Main Crop Figs, note the tight closed eyes / osteoles...
                  Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• fettuccine
                    fettuccine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What does "(ICON)" stand for in the IC name? Sorry to ask if its obvious, I'm still quite new when it comes to varieties names/terms

• ramv
                    ramv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ‘Improved Celeste O’Rourke Not’
                    I kind of like this name

• fettuccine
                    fettuccine commented
                    Editing a comment
                    aahh I see, thank you ramv for the clarification! It is very obvious once you know and I agree, I like when they're named that way.

ASC Pete,

Thank you for the clarification. I have two little IC ( ON) growing, hope the somewhat open eye will be ok.... glad to have regular ol Celeste in ground.
                  Zone 8a before the recent "upgrade". Lewi = Levite

Comment

AscPete I am a little confused buddy. Are you saying that all of the O'Rourke trees from EL are not O'Rourke and are actually one of the many Improved Celeste strains? I know O'Rouke is an improved Celested, but at least that strain is named.

This is my O'Rourke from EL:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1989.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	342715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	342716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1992.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	342717Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	342718
                    Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

• ross
                      ross commented
                      Editing a comment
                      lewi I've read the same, which is why I am confused. Mine looks like an O'Rourke, no?

• Ortegojeffrey
                      Ortegojeffrey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      AscPete I disagree. The one defining feature distinguishing a true orourke from imp Celeste is the "thumbs" on the leaves of Orourke...

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ortegojeffrey ,
                      You can disagree, but IC has never produce the deep sinuses of the O'Rourke cultivar's leaves, as shown in the photos of my post # 10 above and the attached link below.

Leaves and ripe Figs are required for best ID. Also IC (ON) figs are ribbed when growing and also when they're ripe, while O'Rourke figs are smooth (growing and ripe).

Some photos and discussion...
                      https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...tal-comparison

I understand about the deep sinus and agree that a deep sinus is the exact sign in the orourke that im referring to, but I just thought I saw that in Ross's plant. It also looked small with immature leaves already showing larger sinus I've ever seen my Improved Celeste, which has never shown any type of sinus on the leaf at all, just about all single lobed or 3 lobed.

Comment

I have no leaves on my IC that look like this with the 4th and 5th lobes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        From my experience with two different IC cultivars, an IC can and will produce 5 lobed (3 lobed with thumbs) Celeste type leaves, usually "juvenile" and fast growing ones on younger trees. As the tree matures it will produce less 5 lobes leaves and mostly 1 to 3 and mitten shaped, with some / very few 5 lobed.

Even Dan A. @KingFig in Louisiana has posted photos of his IC tree which has some visible 5 lobed leaves...

AscPete
                      Fair point. This is however a 3 year old tree that gets knocked back to the ground every winter by the cold. I just found a photo in one of my videos of the leaves from last year. Similar to this year, most leaves are 5 lobed or 3 lobes with thumbs. Overall I think we can all agree that the leaves are not the best indicator for any fig. How does the fruit match up? You make a good point about the ribbing, Pete. I just don't see my fruit matching to any of the photos of ripe fruits you shared. Unfortunately I won't have ripe fruits off this tree till next year. I'll be digging this up and putting it in a pot this fall. Can anyone else assist with more photos of O'Rourke & IC? Perhaps some guys in the south?
                      CajunB
                      CliffH
                      eboone I think you have both?
                      mountainfigs Care to weigh in, Tony?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	36
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	343179
                      Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

• Garlic_Mike
                        Garlic_Mike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My Improved Celeste is from Tony.

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ross ,

If your figs are ribbed with a small open eye then its not an O'Rourke cultivar, its;
                        Improved Celeste (EL).

• eboone
                        eboone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My IC is a first year, 1-3 lobe leaves
                        My ORourke is 5 y old with mostly 5 lobes like Ortegojeffrey’s below

Improved Celeste.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Phil - Zone 9a Acadiana

Comment

Some old pictures of both leaves.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a couple of picture of the fruit of what I believe is the true Improved Celeste (not O'Rourke or ICON) The fruit off my tree is consistent to these pics. The fruit is always larger than a std Celeste, the pulp is amber, with a brown sugar/honey taste.

No specific pictures of the leaves. But they are all tri-lobed or single lobed.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                          Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
                          Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

I think Pete is right. Sorry to bother everyone.
                            Zone 7A - Philadelphia

Comment

• mountainfigs
                              mountainfigs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Improved Celeste is sure appears to be. Leaves can range widely, one to three to five lobes. Your small sample fruit photos are considerably more like IC than O'Rourke.

• lewi
                              lewi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No bother at all. At least you still have a desirable fig tree....a lot of people rave about IC ( ON).

My eye balls are start hurting to compare between O’Rourke and Improved Celest

Comment

• AscPete
                              AscPete commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You must need glasses because they're completely different looking figs...

AscPete's comments are 100% accurate based on my experience with Improved Celeste and O'Rourke. Both plants were purchased from JFE late 2017.
                            Johnson1
                            Zone 9b
                            S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• jrdewhirst
                              jrdewhirst commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Based on what I've seen, I agree. I have both Improved Celeste O'Rourke Not (labeled as such) and O'Rourke from the same experienced local grower who is meticulous about sourcing and naming. Pete's observations are totally consistent with what I've seen re leaves and fruit from these trees.
                              Last edited by jrdewhirst; 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM.

Ross, no need to apologize for asking questions in the right way
                            This kind of review is actually good for all of us
                            Ed
                            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

This is my Improved Celest and O’Rourke.First picture is Improved Celest 2nd and 3rd are O’Rourke on the tag.
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

So, is the Petals from the Past Orourke/IC a real IC then?

Comment

• AscPete
                                  AscPete commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  2012 - 2014... The O'Rourke was actually a real IC (PP).
                                  2015 - ? ... The O'Rourke was an actual O'Rourke (PP).
                                  PP = Petals from the Past

IC plant and fig. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_124953.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	343472
                                Attached Files
                                Johnson1
                                Zone 9b
                                S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

• Altadena Mara
                                  Altadena Mara commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Nice pictures. That's what my Improved Celeste looks like planted in the ground, sold by Petals from the Past as O'Rourke. It's bearing a nice crop of sugar flavored, moderately sweet to sweet figs in our awful heat wave. There's not a lot of depth or complexity to the flavor but the sweetness compensates.
                                  My Improved Celeste from Almost Eden had more of a berry flavor last year. This year, in a pot, it's struggling with the heat and only has tiny figs so far. Half the tree is wilting in spite of moist soil. I moved it to mostly shade this morning.
                              Working...
                              X