X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourjassotte Gris Breba

Is it going to be any good?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

I sure hope so for your sake

Comment

I say yes, will be great!
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Wow, so many figs!! I think it will be very good! I have one BG about 1.5 years old but its small still. Do they take a long time to fruit?

Comment

Nope! You can have 2 crops in time your Black Madeira barely makes one.
          My BG started producing on the second year but I got it rooted and do not know when (what month) it was rooted.

Comment

• SmyFigs
            SmyFigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice to know! I will have to take a pic of my tiny tree...it was one year old when I bought it, which was in Sept. But it is tiny so maybe its a slow grower. I mean Im talking like 8 inches tall. I wonder if this is normal for this variety...,
            Last edited by SmyFigs; 03-02-2016, 11:44 PM. Reason: Typos...ugh

My BG produced fruit the first year it was rooted. I probably should have picked them off so the tree would grow bigger but was too eager to taste what the English gourmet food writer, Edward A. Bunyard, wrote in his classic The Anatomy of Dessert:
          "Bourjassotte Gris with it’s brown-red almost jelly-like flesh is in the very foremost rank of figdom," Probably as a result, both my trees are on the smallish side compared to other fig trees rooted at the same time that produced smaller fruit.

USDA z 9b, SoCal
          Mara, Southern California,
          Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

I remember Suzi saying she was plenty happy with them last year.
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• greenfig
              greenfig commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice! Now I just need to make sure my squirrels are not aware of that
              Last edited by greenfig; 03-02-2016, 04:40 PM.

I am very much looking forward to this one as well!!
            Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

My breba dropped off of my third season tree last year. I had ripe fruit on it maybe a few days earlier than Black Madeira.
              My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

My tree is a couple of years older than Harvey's and has ripened fruit for three seasons. I've not had a breba hold on in that time. You might set some sort of record if you brebas persist, Igor.
                Neil
                Reno, 6b

Comment

• greenfig
                  greenfig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He-he
                  You bet I will set a record!

Just an update. The fig size is way ahead of everything else I have with brebas.

Comment

My BG has one of the biggest of the brebas also, but Long Yellow, Niagra Black, I-258, Marseilles EL and Lebanese Red each have one that comes really close to it in size. Only one Pete's Honey breba is perhaps slightly larger. Perhaps there's something in our Pasadena water supply.
                  Last edited by Altadena Mara; 03-21-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• greenfig
                    greenfig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol! They were doing some water upgrades last month.

The BG breba was finally ripe, fell off in my hand as I was squeezing it. Yuck!
                  Another member posted that young trees might set breba the second or third year, but not after they mature. That is probably the case here.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Mara, that fig doesn't look right in more than one way.
                    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Mine were probably better since the $&@$ squirrels stole them while they were still not ripe. The last breba is still hanging but not ripe. There are many main crop figs, now it depends how the plant decides to redistribute the resources

Comment

1/4" hardware cloth. We *must* know what this tastes like.
                        Bob C.
                        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Ok, now I feel a pressure built up, a fig suspense !

Comment

Working...
                          X