X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody growing in-ground I-258 in PNW? Brebas?

Anybody growing in-ground I-258 in PNW? How big is the breba crop? I'm in Portland Oregon. I have other successful in-ground trees here, and wanted to try adding I-258. I wanted to check on the breba production before trying, tho. Any other incite would be appreaciated. Thanks ya'll!

I have it but it was rooted in Dec and is only 2’ tall. I plan to keep it in a pot.

What other trees do you have in ground and able to produce fruit?
    Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
    WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, Iranian Candy,
    Petrovaca, Joualle figs

Comment

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      I have four DK's and one Laterula, all in-ground and reliably producing fruit every year, and a 1 year-old in-ground Black Mission which hasn't produced yet. I have a HC producing, not in-ground yet, but it stays outside year round with no protection. Great news about your I-258. I hope you'll share the good news with all of us in the PNW when you find out what happens.

• Halligan-
      Halligan- commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s great, glad to hear DK, Laterula, and Chicago Hardy are all producing for you. Hopefully Black Mission will be the same.

I won’t get Breba until next summer. But my main crop should have a head start this year.

BYUstevo let us know how the black mission goes. I am in PDX also and am interested in black mission. As a viable productive fig here to complement my desert king and english brown turkey.

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      My neighbor has a huge mission tree. It does fine.

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! I'm in Portland, too. I have seen other black mission trees in CA with a solid breba crop when mature. I hope to see the same here in Portland. We used to have a brown turkey but I took it out to accommodate other things. Those things turn into monsters!

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Black Mission update! I made a new post about it:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...so-far-so-good

The problem with planting I258 in ground is that it ripens main crop late.
    I have started to plant many trees in ground and I am looking for varieties with either good Breba crops or early main crops.
    This is why a tree like Thermalito is a good choice.
    Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
    Wish List - Raspberry Tart, Meteorito, Raspberry Cream, Lauralita, LP 4000, WXC014, WXC016 and WXC20 to all be common.

Comment

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I figured I'd never get main crop if I were to try it. But I heard that the brebas are decent quality and even "quantity" too, once the tree matures. I don't know if it will be enough breba to be worth it. All the info from the experienced members here will be very helpful. Thanks.

I258 and Genoese Nero — possibly synonyms have a good bit of breba on them. But I wouldn’t grow them just for breba. The quantity is not enough to justify the space.
    If you have a full sun south facing spot with a back wall and possibly a black tar road near the tree, it is worth planting in the ground.

Comment

• Netstars
      Netstars commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found both of them to be a pain rooting!

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      And I found my larger I258 is dead from the winter! I can’t believe it died. But I don’t baby my trees. It’s survival of the fittest here.

Fortunately I have 2 smaller ones.

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Great info! That's insightful to hear about the breba quantity. So sorry that it died. What grow zone did it die in?

ramv Sorry that the I-258 died! Was it in a container outside or in ground?
    Renton, wa (near Seattle); zone 8b

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      In a container unprotected. I think the rain killed it. Not the cold

My Italian 258 in a 5 gallon pot not really pruned for breba, produced 9 Brebas average weight 123 grams, I will plant one in ground this year for breba production
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0166DCB8-AC29-4BC8-AE4F-6E6671FE28B2.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	741073Click image for larger version

Name:	05AAE1FE-89FC-4387-A84A-EE652573CC8D.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	664.3 KB
ID:	741074
    Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Thats great news

• Netstars
      Netstars commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing that Mario!

I am in Seattle and have four I-258s in ground. They are three years old and about five to six feet tall. I have no brebas on any of them. One has some small figs left over from last fall. They are about 1/2 green and 1/2 brown. I suspect they are doomed.
    K2

Comment

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Not encouraging, but a realistic perspective. I'm in Portland and suppose I could expect near identical results

• Mario
      Mario commented
      Editing a comment
      It probably needs to get a little older, I’m sure you know brebas grow on one year old wood, keep that in mind when you prune

• Chen
      Chen commented
      Editing a comment
      K2, are the main crops ripening for you? What condition do you have them in the ground (e.g. how many hours of sun, near house)? Thank you!

Good news BYUstevo !

I stand corrected!

Two of my four I-258s in ground have a number of very small brebas! The big question is will they abort or stick around? Ramv (very knowledgeable guy) was at my house yesterday and his opinion is they will not abort! I will keep you posted. The trees are in their third year. The first year I kept them in pots, and then I planted them in ground in spring 2019. They are between 4 and 5 feet tall.

Thanks,
    K2

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. I guess i258 moved up the WL for me then.

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! That's wonderful to hear! Very encouraging. Thanks for lettings us know.

BYUstevo, Chen, Sod, Mario, ramv, Netstars, Halligan-

I have 4 I-258's in ground in Seattle cup against a house or a wood fence and they all face south. They are three years old and have never produced more than a very few unripe figs up until the present time. They get 3/4 of a day of full sun. All four have some brebas, but one has 30 and a few are as large as grapes already! Ramv saw my trees in person last week. See my photos below
    K2 in Seattle

Name:	I258 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	5.79 MB
ID:	745492

Name:	I258 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	745493Click image for larger version

Name:	I258 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	745494Click image for larger version

Name:	I258 4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	745495

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      K2 really opened my eyes on what is possible if you grow them in the ground.

• Netstars
      Netstars commented
      Editing a comment
      Let’s see - South facing with protection from the north winds - well played!

• BYUstevo
      BYUstevo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for sharing!! This is the most exciting fig news I'ver heard all year!

Looking great! Hope you have a good harvest this year. Just clarify, when you say 3/4 of day full sun, what does it mean? Typically, full sun means 6 hours, so 3/4 is less than 6 hours? Or are you referring to from sunrise to sunset, it gets 3/4, so 8 or 9 hours? Thank you!
    Renton, wa (near Seattle); zone 8b

Comment

This is my I258 in its third leaf.
      I just up potted to 7G.
      It looks poised to take off.
      On a south facing deck that backs up to our house.

Name:	69C6FE67-A651-4455-93DF-8096606C5F14.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	745698
      Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
      Wish List - Raspberry Tart, Meteorito, Raspberry Cream, Lauralita, LP 4000, WXC014, WXC016 and WXC20 to all be common.

Comment

• K2
        K2 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Netstars,
        Your I-258 looks great.
        K2

Chen,
      You raise a great question. This exact location is probably the best one I have available in my back yard. I have some tall fir trees to my east so it does not get full unfiltered sun until about 9 AM. At about 7 PM as the sun is beginning to go down, the shadow of my house shades it. So it gets full sun from about 9 AM to 7 PM. These hours of sunlight will not increase even when 16 hours of daylight are theoretically available at the summer solstice.

And this I-258 definitely gets additional reflected heat from the cedar fence behind it.
      K2

Comment

Working...
      X