X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for sharing!! This is the most exciting fig news I'ver heard all year!

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! That's wonderful to hear! Very encouraging. Thanks for lettings us know.

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Black Mission update! I made a new post about it:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...so-far-so-good

• K2
    commented on 's reply
    @Netstars,
    Your I-258 looks great.
    K2

• K2
    replied
    Chen,
    You raise a great question. This exact location is probably the best one I have available in my back yard. I have some tall fir trees to my east so it does not get full unfiltered sun until about 9 AM. At about 7 PM as the sun is beginning to go down, the shadow of my house shades it. So it gets full sun from about 9 AM to 7 PM. These hours of sunlight will not increase even when 16 hours of daylight are theoretically available at the summer solstice.

And this I-258 definitely gets additional reflected heat from the cedar fence behind it.
    K2

Leave a comment:

• Netstars
    replied
    This is my I258 in its third leaf.
    I just up potted to 7G.
    It looks poised to take off.
    On a south facing deck that backs up to our house.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	69C6FE67-A651-4455-93DF-8096606C5F14.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	745698

Leave a comment:

• Netstars
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for sharing that Mario!

• Netstars
    commented on 's reply
    Let’s see - South facing with protection from the north winds - well played!

• ramv
    commented on 's reply
    K2 really opened my eyes on what is possible if you grow them in the ground.

• Chen
    replied
    Looking great! Hope you have a good harvest this year. Just clarify, when you say 3/4 of day full sun, what does it mean? Typically, full sun means 6 hours, so 3/4 is less than 6 hours? Or are you referring to from sunrise to sunset, it gets 3/4, so 8 or 9 hours? Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Halligan-
    commented on 's reply
    Those looks great!
    Tons of Breba on that tree. That’s exciting to see. Thanks

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    That’s really cool. Your trees ripen their main crop as well? My DK is just starting to put out leaves. It’s out in the open in the ground. The trees on my deck in pots are considerably further along.

• K2
    replied
    BYUstevo, Chen, Sod, Mario, ramv, Netstars, Halligan-

I have 4 I-258's in ground in Seattle cup against a house or a wood fence and they all face south. They are three years old and have never produced more than a very few unripe figs up until the present time. They get 3/4 of a day of full sun. All four have some brebas, but one has 30 and a few are as large as grapes already! Ramv saw my trees in person last week. See my photos below
    K2 in Seattle

Name:	I258 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	5.79 MB
ID:	745492

Name:	I258 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	745493Click image for larger version

Name:	I258 3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	745494Click image for larger version

Name:	I258 4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	745495

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    commented on 's reply
    K2, are the main crops ripening for you? What condition do you have them in the ground (e.g. how many hours of sun, near house)? Thank you!

• Sod
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. I guess i258 moved up the WL for me then.

• K2
    replied
    Good news BYUstevo !

I stand corrected!

Two of my four I-258s in ground have a number of very small brebas! The big question is will they abort or stick around? Ramv (very knowledgeable guy) was at my house yesterday and his opinion is they will not abort! I will keep you posted. The trees are in their third year. The first year I kept them in pots, and then I planted them in ground in spring 2019. They are between 4 and 5 feet tall.

Thanks,
    K2

Leave a comment:

• Mario
    commented on 's reply
    It probably needs to get a little older, I’m sure you know brebas grow on one year old wood, keep that in mind when you prune

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Not encouraging, but a realistic perspective. I'm in Portland and suppose I could expect near identical results

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! Thats great news

• ramv
    commented on 's reply
    In a container unprotected. I think the rain killed it. Not the cold

• K2
    replied
    I am in Seattle and have four I-258s in ground. They are three years old and about five to six feet tall. I have no brebas on any of them. One has some small figs left over from last fall. They are about 1/2 green and 1/2 brown. I suspect they are doomed.
    K2

Leave a comment:

• Mario
    replied
    My Italian 258 in a 5 gallon pot not really pruned for breba, produced 9 Brebas average weight 123 grams, I will plant one in ground this year for breba production

Name:	0166DCB8-AC29-4BC8-AE4F-6E6671FE28B2.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	741073Click image for larger version

Name:	05AAE1FE-89FC-4387-A84A-EE652573CC8D.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	664.3 KB
ID:	741074

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    ramv Sorry that the I-258 died! Was it in a container outside or in ground?

Leave a comment:

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! Great info! That's insightful to hear about the breba quantity. So sorry that it died. What grow zone did it die in?

• BYUstevo
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I figured I'd never get main crop if I were to try it. But I heard that the brebas are decent quality and even "quantity" too, once the tree matures. I don't know if it will be enough breba to be worth it. All the info from the experienced members here will be very helpful. Thanks.
Working...
X