X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT

I’m in CT. Do you the it’s ok to move trees out for good yet.

I would wait for your last expected frost date. I don't leave my in pot plants out for good until the low temp is 50oF or above. Before that I shuffle them in and out of the garage. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7B
    WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Maltese Beauty; Sodus Sicilan

Comment

Still dormant trees that are in storage? Or leafed out trees or recently rooted cuttings?
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Chinese Proverb
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

They are starting to pop I usually wait till last week of April. But I do see some people with them out.

Comment

Looks like next week will have some cold nights. I probably stick to my usual.

Comment

Then if you do decide to move them out, watch the weather carefully and be prepared to move them back in. Cold temps and new growth do not play well together.
            – Chinese Proverb
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

I am seeing some nites next week dipping into the mid thirties. I would hold off for another week. How many pot are we talking about? Maybe the old fig shuffle. Good luck.
              Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

I have 6 pots.

Comment

• DaveL
                  DaveL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do the fig shuffle.

where abouts in CT. The coast or near the Canadian border?
                I pulled out a 3 year old Peloponnisiaka aspra sika and a Galicia negra yesterday. The buds have swollen. I will leave them out and throw a packing blanket over them should it cool down. The two plants are near log pile that will take the weight of the blanket. I Am on the coast so less fluctuation than in land.
                Ian

Looking for Sodus Sicilian and Constantine de Algerie

Comment

• jrdewhirst
                  jrdewhirst commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Canadian border of CT?

• The Figster
                  The Figster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I drive inland to the north of CT it feels like the canadian border is very close

I'm up the coast in RI (but grew up in Fairfield CT).

FWIW, I'd wait until the forecast says >40F forever. You can bring them out sooner, but 30-40 F will set them back and <30 could kill them.
                Joe, Z6B, RI. Taking COVID-19 seriously. Self-quarantined, looking forward to next season.

Comment

Im in ri also close to connecticut border. I made the move outside this week. Will probably bring them in a few nights this week.
                  Johnston RI 6a

Comment

I have some that did not fit into my insulated/heated as needed storage area that are likely to be culled this year. They are still fully dormant but since the temps in our large shed are pretty close to what they're running outside (60's day, 30/40's at night), I put them out yesterday. We're expecting mid-30s a few nights in the coming week, but with no sign of bud swell and the fact that I'm likely going to dump them anyway, I'm not bothering to shuffle.

My keepers will be staying put in storage for at least another few weeks. The insulation is keeping the temp much cooler during the warmer days so I'm not expecting them to break dormancy.
                    – Chinese Proverb
                    MA 5b/6a

Comment

I’m north west. In the hills.

Comment

Unless you have green wood and/or leaves on the trees a minor freeze is nothing to worry about. Better to get them an early start.... Definitely keep them as warm as you can or do the shuffle to give them a good start.... but my experience of late is, the earlier the better. Northern seasons are short for figs. We need every day we can to ripen figs.

This year (again) I have a pop up temporary GH. It gets stinking hot during the day and at night it's fine inside, even if the ambient temps are sub zero. I highly recommend it....I'm in Canada and my trees buds are swelling ....and they're totally safe. It's a PITA to set up.... But there are a lot of trees in there all stacked on one another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4468.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	740487
                        Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Working...
                        X