• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Getting Something Done

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_112443.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	740022 Health issues intervened in Jan 2020, things are much better now and finally have some stamina. I won't rule out early Covid as a co-contributor and await the opportunity for antibody testing.

The refrigerator still has cuttings, basically untouched. About all I've accomplished is 8 grafts, 6 surviving single node cuttings, pruning the plants, and wraping pots in aluminum foil.

I'll be planting cuttings and starting airlayers in the following weeks. There are trades and gifts to get caught up on too.

The good news is the plants are really healthy and showing really nice growth. There was some neglect in care... they truely show their resilience. The larger pots are 15 gal.

Johnson1
    Zone 9b
    S of Tampa Bay, FL

Good to see you up and going. Those fig plants are looking great!
    PPP
    Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Glad to hear you’re on the mend! This has been a year from hell to be sure. Take care of yourself!!
      Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, Figo preto de Torres novas, i258, raasti, white triana

Comment

John I'm happy to hear your feeling better and getting back to being able to do things. Your trees there look like they are ready to put on some good growth this season.
        Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

Pace yourself. The plants are doing well.
          Moved from 10b to 7a

Comment

yes stay well

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you are getting better. These are very scary times when you don't know what an illness is or if it could be the Covid-19. Please take care of yourself, the trees can wait, or can be replaced at a later time. Your health is much more important than any tree could ever be.
              Central Florida zone 9b
              Wish List Thermalito, Exquisito, BFF

Comment

Yes, your fig trees look beautiful, I can see lots of main crop figs !
                Good to see you doing well enough to take care of your fig trees.
                Welcome back Johnson1 🌱
                Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Good to hear you have bounced back! It's a nice feeling when you recover from being knocked down and can resume doing what you enjoy. We should always put our own health before that of our plants. Your trees are looking great, hope you have a fruitful season ahead, Good Luck! πŸ€žπŸ˜‰
                  Ed B. West Coast of Michigan L.P. 6a/6b

Comment

Glad you are doing better.

The other good news you already know - in your climate this is ideal time to plant out cuttings and your season is long enough for them to do well
                    Ed
                    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. It is frustrating not being able to run at full speed.

Comment

That's good to hear Johnson1 ,

About putting foil on pots, i'm in texas, still spring and in the mid 80s, should i be putting foil now or wait till summer when it gets into the 90s consistently?
                        Najam from Sugar Land, Texas, Zone 9a

Wishlist: sao miguel roxo (azores dark), burgan unk

Comment

• Johnson1
                          Johnson1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Florida weather has been in the upper 80's, even at those temps the perimeter soil in a pot gets quite warm if not wrapped. I've already wrapped all the fig pots in aluminum foil.

Much like a sunburn, the effects of overheating are delayed and can take weeks to recover.

So yes, I would wrap the pots and add a few inches of mulch on the top. Your plants will be happier.

Glad your feeling better!
                        Those trees look like they started without you, great new growth!
                        Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
                        WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, RGR, Dolce Calderai, Balkan Grey, Joualle figs

Comment

Looking good, John. Happy you're feeling better. Stay safe.
                          Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7B
                          WL: Azores Dark; Brooklyn White; Dominick; Florea; Maltese Beauty; Sodus Sicilan

Comment

Welcome back to health!! Sorry to hear that you were feeling unwell. Playing with the figs will be therapeutic for you. :-)
                            Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

Glad youre better! Shoulda said something a care pckg of Sourdough loaves to get yer gut in check may have been all ya needed!! And Im glad you thought ahead & wrapped yiur pots in foil to prevent internet folk from reading their thoughts about rooting methods.
                              WNC zone 7a at the intersection of Mt Pisgah & the Blue Ridge Parkway

Comment

Sorry for your illness; glad that you are recovering. Keep going in the right direction.

Your figs look great!

However, if you run out of aluminum foil, I can't spare you any. I need it for my family and neighbors. Here's why:

People think the virus is a serious danger, which it is, but an even more sinister danger looming over mankind's future existence is the secret infiltration of Cometoids among us. They are alien, mind controlling, human-like beings, that jumped off of Haley's Comet when it passed by Earth those many years ago. They have been multiplying exponentially, having an agenda of supplanting us as the dominant life form on Earth. They will prevail through mind control, hence the need for me to keep my supply of aluminum foil in tact for head shields. Family first, you know! 😁

(I thought you might get a kick from the above!)

Thorntorn
                                W. PA., Pittsburgh, zone 6b USDA, but more 5b, realistically. All pot grown fig trees, no in-grounds.

Comment

Should I wrap my head in foil? When asked I can mumble something like 'You aren't one of them are you?' Then ramble on about evil aliens reading your mind, mind control and reprogramming. Followed with 'they were just here' in a very anxious tone.

Done properly I doubt anyone would transgress into the recommended 6' social distancing.
                                  Last edited by Johnson1; 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM.
                                  Johnson1
                                  Zone 9b
                                  S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

Glad you're feeling better! I've heard a number of people who believe they had covid19 in January. It seems we've been misled (surprise, surprise) by the government and media about how this all played out.

Anyways, FIGS!!!
                                    -Luke S. at Keesler AFB, 9a
                                    -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                                    -W/L: JN, CCN, Thermalito

Comment

Good to see you back at it, John. Get better soon, sir.
                                      South Florida - 10b

Comment

You take very good care of yourself sir. Great to hear you are doing well πŸ‘

Comment

That really sucks! sorry to hear you were down and out. Hang in there and get well.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson1 View Post
                                            The good news is the plants are really healthy and showing really nice growth.
                                            The good news is that you are back to being healthy! Good to hear!
                                            NE Ohio, Zone 6a. Wishlist: Sodus Sicilian

Comment

Your figs look very healthy!!
                                              Glad that you are feeling better.
                                              Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                                              W/L: Cessac

Comment

Working...
                                              X