X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No rain forecasted for the next week+

Overnight lows show low 40s with 2 nights dipping to 37. Highs for the entire time show mid to upper 60s. I’m kind of wondering if my young plants would be ok on my back deck against the house. It’s the entire length of our house and it’s all south facing. The decking is dark. If I shuffled to keep plants out of direct sun during the day but up against the house at night, would that be enough? I don’t plan on having anything outside that isn’t at least somewhat established.

I need something to keep me from going stir crazier. They just shut down our school year for the rest of the year. Still teaching remotely but it’s hard not to work when it’s nice out.
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, Figo preto de Torres novas, i258, raasti, white triana

What condition of your plants?
    37F is fine as long as it is not near freezing 32F, Last night, It was 37F here, Our temperture is 2-3F lower than you, I have few mature potted Mt etna main crop fig trees, They have many golf ball size young leaves, I am going to put them outside under sun. However, For fig trees with breba, I will keep them at warmer area longer.

Surrey BC canada

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      Not planning on keeping anything in a 1 gallon outside yet. I’ll shuffle those. The ones I’m really questioning were rooted over the winter but are currently in 2.5 gallon or bigger pots.

These have all been out for a few weeks, except for the large leafed out one in the foreground. I up potted it yesterday to a 15 or 20 gallon and left it out last night and it looks fine today.
    Attached Files
    Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, CLBC, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Black ischia, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, Figo preto de Torres novas, i258, raasti, white triana

Comment

I’m pumped with the weather too. Nice weather for a week at least!

I ordered some shade cloth from amazon but it won’t get here in time🤦🏻
      Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
      WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, RGR, Dolce Calderai, Balkan Grey, Joualle figs

Comment

My trees have been outdoors all winter long Even citrus has been outdoors for quite a while now.

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow really? I may have to follow suit

I found that I need to introduce my potted plants to the cool weather gra-a-adually; I also need to acclimate them to the bright sun with short, limited exposure periods each day.
        They were doing well in my garage 5 or 6 wks ago, only to drop their leaves when I overexposed them to the bright sun for several days straight. They've come back now and are
        primed for tomorrow which will be 74 degrees and totally sunny. In the past, I also kept them outdoors all winter, most under a gazebo, some out in the pouring steady rain with no protection and all survived.
        Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

• Sod
          Sod commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. I think I’ll be good. I spent the afternoon up potting a few and moving the bigger pots outside.

• TahomaGuy2
          TahomaGuy2 commented
          Editing a comment
          No. Living in Lakewood, WA I always kept them outside. All of mine are in 2.5gal pots or bigger. Last year was a bummer of a year for production (on every variety except RdB) due to fig-drop. Good thing I have friends who don't care much for figs and whose mature trees I maintain or I would have picked only about 25 from mine. This year the fig shuffle is still going strong. *I never, ever lost one due to rainy, cold winter weather even when exposed.

• Rickyv101
          Rickyv101 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Charles, I got CRO damatien cutting from you few year ago, It has many breba this year and it hold them very tight too, I afraid that it drops all them, no outdoor before May.

I wish my problem was no rain for 1+ week.... Here in Toronto we've had an above average Spring so my plants have been outdoors... but it's starting to cool down tomorrow for the next few days... Only a low of -1C(30F) but for my tender cuttings, that's too low, so they'll be staying inside for the next few days (Highs of 10C or 50F)

I also have 2 small fig trees that have started leafing out so they're coming indoors too for the next few days.

Comment

One of our local home and garden stores (i.e. Wilco for those in the know) has all of their fig trees in. My store has gone crazy this year with wider variety. Stella, Peter’s honey, vern’s brown turkey, DK, olympian, and a few others all 1 gallon size for 12.99. They had honey berry, goumi, sea berry, currants, huckleberry, Meyer lemon, pineapple guava seedlings, plus all the standards. All out and exposed without protection. I’m going to take that as my cue to start transitioning my stuff out.

I had to get potting soil, otherwise I wouldn’t have even gone out. I came home with a couple tomatoes, a pineapple guava for cross pollination with my Coolidge, and a Stella with killer roots that’s about 3’ tall.

Comment

• Halligan-
            Halligan- commented
            Editing a comment
            Some of the Wilco’s up here even had lingonberry this year.

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            I picked up black raspberries and loganberries before the lockdown hit.

Wilco is permitted to open right now?
          Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya. I was kind of surprised, but people need feed for their animals and have to have stuff for gardening.

• Halligan-
            Halligan- commented
            Editing a comment
            Lowe’s and Home Depot are also open maybe it’s considered a hardware store.

Sod Halligan-

I thought Wilco was strictly a garden center and didn't do hardware.... We don't have them here..... My mistake....Hardware is important..... Up here even Home Depot stores are closed up tight.... Security at the entrances. You're only allowed on the premises if you have an online order that you're picking up curbside. The staff place the order in the back of your vehicle and off you go..... Strange times indeed.....

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Halligan-
            Halligan- commented
            Editing a comment
            Think of Wilco has a little of everything not a huge selection but plumbing, paint hardware garden farm supplies etc.

That’s interesting HD is closed up there.
            Security guards and all, strange times indeed.

I just up potted my Exquisito and CLBC yesterday.
          I had them in full shade for a few hours today.
          Both trees were grown under LED grow lights.
          I learned the hard way last year not to hurry this process.
          They also are coming in for the evenings for a few more nights.
          Exquisito really impressed me as it was four months old yesterday and is 2’ tall.
          It is the larger plant. Click image for larger version  Name:	BB244E20-667F-4723-8150-9E988DE78B7F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	740507
          Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
          Wish List - Raspberry Tart to be common!

Comment

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s awesome. None of my cuttings have gotten that big yet. A couple are getting pretty good size though. Sayreville dark, kesariani, Black Bethlehem, and Ed’s Bryant dark have been the best growers so far of the cuttings I’ve started.

Everything I put out today was shaded. I’ve got benches built into my back deck that do a good job shading just enough. I’ve got about 75 feet give or take of deck space available against my house.

• Netstars
            Netstars commented
            Editing a comment
            Sod I have my work ahead of me for sure. Going to pull out the cement mixer to formulate some of my mix. I purchased one yard of fir pebble bark today in preparation. I have about ten more large plants that want out of their tree pots.
            I will shuffle these from my garage to morning full shade to begin the acclimation process.

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            You know if this weather keeps up I’d love to have all my trees out full time by next week. I’m tired of my studio space being all pots. Lol

Not sure of the outcome but I have small gh in full sun with some awaken fig trees. It gets very humid when sun warms it up. Then, I open windows to dry out. And later I start misting greens with water so the sun won’t burn it. So far so good, its only day #3 with minimal sunburn only to those leaves I missed to spay 🌱
          WL: Constans, CDA, Exquisito, Cardenillo, Figo Preto de Torres Nova, JEG-Ice, Fiorone Di Ruvo, Iranian Candy

Comment

I did notice that my neighbors had some lovely white on their roofs this morning.
            I also noticed it was 36 degrees.
            None of my plants on my deck were phazed.
            I looked at the pots and there was no white on them or the deck.
            I believe that because they are near the house, they are protected.
            Many nights in the thirties and not one issue.
            Now we are going to low forties, I feel better.
            I still won’t push the young plants from my grow room outside that fast!
            Last edited by Netstars; 04-09-2020, 07:01 AM.
            Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
            Wish List - Raspberry Tart to be common!

Comment

• Sod
              Sod commented
              Editing a comment
              I pulled all the young ones back inside tonight. I left a young Celeste in a 2.5 gallon out just to see what’ll happen. I left it out last night as well and it was completely unfazed. I really think that could be the norm for a lot of these. I’m a little more concerned if we get a lot of rain coming up after this warm stretch. I’ve been limiting water on all the indoor stuff. If I transition everything outside I may have to make a point to give a good drench every now and then.

Sweetheart, golden rainbow, and sao Miguel roxo had no sunburn today at all. I also put an MBVS in the ground at the bottom of the hill a few days ago. Man I am so excited for these things to start growing.

Spoke too soon on no sunburn. A couple did get a little. They’re protected now. Others are easy enough to move around during the day.

Comment

The only ones I brought in last night were the 1 gallon pots. Everything else stayed outside on the deck. This morning everything was fine. Shuffling everything around to avoid direct sun for more than about an hour or two at a time. So far so good.

the next 3 nights will be the test. 39, 37, and 39 respectively. After that overnight lows are back up into the 40s. According to the weather report we might have rain again on the 19th. Feels like an early summer. Hopefully it’s not a repeat of last year.

Comment

I let a few of mine outside to play.
                Attached Files
                Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
                WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, RGR, Dolce Calderai, Balkan Grey, Joualle figs

Comment

Working...
                X