X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help !!

Purchased some cuttings here couple weeks back, went to pull to see if we had any life yet... does this mean I won’t be seeing any roots soon?

They both look like they have some life still in them, but really it doesn’t look good.

Did you only stick the cuttings an inch into your rooting medium? What variety are the cuttings?
    Tom V. from San Diego, Ca.🇺🇸

Comment

Mark,
      unk past. does better on an established rootstock. I can send you my extra cuttings. Pm me if you are interested. I just have a couple left.
      David
      Los Angeles CA zone 10B
      Want list: campaniere Azores Dark

Comment

Stuck them in about an inch, they are NOT UNK past..these are Figo Preto my bad... maybe all the rain we’ve gotten got the best of them although I have them under an umbrella.....
        Last edited by Mark619; 04-08-2020, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Postage is on me buddy
          David
          Los Angeles CA zone 10B

Comment

Wow, that’s so awesome of you but you don’t have to. If you want to pm I can PayPal you for it. Appreciate the great gesture.

Comment

It’s no problem Mark. I’ll tried to ship it out this Friday or Saturday
              -David
              David
              Los Angeles CA zone 10B

Comment

I may have to respectfully disagree with ZomVee . I'm looking and looking and I don't see any life there.... Unless, perhaps I'm missing something? To me they look toast....

What did they look like when you got them? That seems like a lot of beating for a couple of weeks.
                Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                  TorontoJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you were just being an optimist... Or I was just being a (BEEP!!!)

• ZomVee
                  ZomVee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nah, you’re never a (BEEPIN’ BEEP.)

Realistic expectations > false hope

• TorontoJoe
                  TorontoJoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ..🤣

They are actually from early March they were Figo preto NOT unk past. I’m new to figs so I wouldn’t know the difference if they weren’t good cuttings or not, but I going to say they had to of been good cuttings because they sold them on here. Possibly my fault not sure though. I put them in coconut core about an inch deep and dampened it a bit.

Comment

I agree with Joe, these do not look promising.
                  Very nice of David to send you more cuttings.
                  Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                  W/L: Cessac

Comment

I can't say for sure but It seems that cuttings that arrived in March should not look like that when employing any standard rooting method.
                    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

Adding my 2-cents: Purchasing on Figbid doesn't guarantee viable cuttings. There are inexperienced sellers AND buyers. Sometimes cuttings arrive dessicated or moldy. Figbid is, and always will be a much better gamble than other sites.
                      In your case, the cuttings cannot be raised from the dead, so...toss them and start over! Thanks, David! U R what a fine example of what puts Figbid above the rest!
                      Last edited by TahomaGuy2; 04-09-2020, 12:10 AM.
                      Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by TahomaGuy2 View Post
                        Adding my 2-cents: Purchasing on Figbid doesn't guarantee viable cuttings. There are inexperienced sellers AND buyers. Sometimes cutting arrive dessicated or moldy. Figbid is, and always will be a much better gamble than other sites.
                        In your case, the cuttings cannot be raised from the dead, so...toss them and start over! Thanks, David! U R what a fine example of what puts Figbid above the rest!

Actually purchased them on here, not that it makes a difference. Not blaming the seller could have been my fault somehow after all I am a noob still.

Comment

Mark619, can you explain what you did when you rooted them?
                          Houston, TX. Adriatic JH, Banana, Black Italian, Black Mission, BT, Celeste, Green Ischia, I-258, Italian Honey, LSU Gold, LSU Purple, Little Ruby, MBVS, Native Black, Olympian, RDB, Smith, Texas Everbearing, Tiger, White Marseilles

Comment

Yes, please describe how you prepared and rooted them and we may be able to help you out so that your next ones do better.

Based on what you've already shared, I'd say an inch down in the mix is not deep enough. Was the coir pre-moistened or did you try to add water after the fact? Adding after the fact would have left dry spots unless you watered heavily, which then could have led to rotting.

Also, if you did not wrap the tops with parafilm or keep them under a humidity dome, it would have resulted in them drying out. Given how sunken in the pith is at the top in you first photo, I'm guessing this is what did them in.
                            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
                            – Chinese Proverb
                            MA 5b/6a

Comment

I did stick them in about an inch only, I have rooted in water before with no issue. I decided to try and root these in core and did water after the fact. I set them under an umbrella off to the side. Hopping they would take but no luck.

Comment

• ginamcd
                                ginamcd commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Likely they were already dried out and dead by the time you pulled them and put them in water. If you decide to try rooting in mix again, look at the forum sticky on the main page called "Frequently Referenced Topics" and read through the rooting posts there.

It doesnt seem to have any life left unfortunately. FP is one hard fig to root and for many, a slow grower. It is very productive for me though. I'm giving mine this year to see if the figs improve in the rain, if not, out it goes.
                              South Florida - 10b

Comment

Working...
                              X