X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaves drooping (wilting?)

Hi folks, I've got some figs inside in a sunroom by the windows. They are in 5 gallon homemade sips planted this year.
    Recently one (maybe two) are showing signs of the leaves drooping.
    There's plenty of water in the bottom of the sip and the soil is moist down to the rootball. I've actually been worried that it's too moist...

But now I'm worried. There's also some damage to some of the leaves - they look like they've been eaten by something but I can't see any signs of anything alive.
    Could this be sun damage somehow?

Worth noting, temperatures have just started hitting 80's F (26 C) and humidity is always low here 20-30% at the moment.
    Is that the issue? I could try to increase the humidity in the room or mist the leaves?
    Thanks for any help.

They've also just been transplanted into these so could have just outgrown their roots I guess.
    Maybe I'm overreacting They just look even droopier now in the evening.

Could just be transplant shock... Sometimes a couple of my trees get a real bad case of ugly leaf. It’s like they forget how to form one and they look like that mangled leaf of yours. Also, some varieties have lazy leaves, my DFIC0023 hangs her leaves even when she’s doing just fine.

If I were you, I’d stick a finger in the soil and check the moister. If it’s too wet, just ease up, ya know? Your plant doesn’t look totally desperate, which variety is it?
    Last edited by ZomVee; 04-09-2020, 12:13 AM.
    Tom V. from San Diego, Ca.🇺🇸

Comment

Overwatering can cause leaf wilt. It takes longer for a plant to bounce back from overwatering vs underwatering.
      figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄
      El Paso Tx zone 8a 8” rain

Comment

Were these recently rooting cuttings or established trees? It could be a combination of the root ball not being happy in it's suddenly larger home combined with too much water. Maybe try dumping the water out of the SIP reservoirs and letting the soil dry out a bit and see if things improve. If they do, then I would stick with top watering only as needed and wait until they get more established and go outdoors before refilling the reservoirs and letting the SIPs take over.
        “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
        – Chinese Proverb
        MA 5b/6a

Comment

How much sun does the sunroom get? And has these plants been subjected to sunlight and this temperature range this season prior to the transplant?

I would move them back to where they were before they deteriorate further.

What is the mix in the SIP versus the one before SIP?
          Moved from 10b to 7a

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback!
            I'm not sure what variety these are, or their prior mix... I got these from a friend as a gift. Will try and find out, might just be a brown turkey.
            They are mature not cuttings.

The sunroom doesn't get that much sun, it's part shaded by a porch in front of it with lattice roof. No this is by far the hottest/driest it's been since I've got them.
            I was/am weary of giving them too much sun cause it's pretty merciless here... (New mexico).

The mix in the SIP is "PROMIX Premium Moisture Potting Mix" I'd never seen it before moving here but it seems to hold a lot of moisture, maybe not the best choice...
            That said I dug down towards root level a little by hand and it seemed moist but not waterlogged. I have a moisture sensor somewhere that I guess I'll try and find (never really sure how much I trust that thing).

Actually looking today it's only the upper leaves that are drooping. These actually get less sun as they are above the window level. Maybe just not getting enough sun?
            Thanks again for all the help, you guys are awesome.

Comment

I don't see a SIP as a good choice for a tree just up potted. Until the plant establishes new roots in the new media, you've got to rewet the original rootball when you water. Do you think the SIP will do that?

I'd bypass the SIP for now and top water directing the water at the old rootball. All that new moist soil doesn't help the plant until it grows new roots.
              Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
              http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• Bwill
                Bwill commented
                Editing a comment
                Found this one out the hard way

The Promix premium moisture is 80-90% peat plus coir so it is pretty water-retentive but you live in N. Mexico with probably hot, dry weather? It may work. I don't know. I used a much coarser SIP mix in SoCal and I watered from the top.

Since there is little or no direct sun, the drooping is likely due to the roots' failure to pick up enough water from its new home. Either there is root damage already due to wet medium or the existing roots haven't absorbed enough water from the surrounding medium.

Moved from 10b to 7a

Comment

My cuttings have been outside for a month now here in El Paso. New Mexico is a large state so it may still be cold where you live. They are on the north side of my house so they only get morning sun. I water only from the bottom now using kiddie pools or similar items. Many of the trees were uppotted in the past couple of weeks.
                Attached Files
                figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄
                El Paso Tx zone 8a 8” rain

Comment

Ok sounds like I will try emptying out the reservoir as much as possible, and top water only for now.
                  Will see how that goes.
                  Edit: Also yes, humidity is often single digits here...
                  That's a lot of cuttings Dig! Nice to see someone else near here is having success I'm south of ABQ but a good 1500 feet or so higher than you...
                  Last edited by jazza; 04-10-2020, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Dig
                    Dig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My elevation is 3800’. There are a number of fig enthusiasts around here.

In my opinion, your figs really do not have enough sun and wind, they increase transpiration and improve the tone of the plant.
                  Andrew

Comment

• ZomVee
                    ZomVee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, babying a plant is detrimental to its structural integrity.
                Working...
                X