X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay grafting tool

Has anyone had any luck with the grafting tool sold on ebay? I ordered one so I can graft some peach trees but I also plan on trying on my figs. I've only tried a couple grafts last season with no luck but that was before I had parafilm to seal it tight.
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

I've had a couple and usually just use my knife instead (even after spending over $200 on the Scionon 2 weeks ago, LOL). Hershell doesn't like that omega grafting tool and I've usually let mine gather dust but did do several grafts with it a few months ago and results were about the same as my other grafts. Some scions are softer and can get crushed easily. The blades on these tools aren't that sharp and not of high quality.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Thanks harvey
      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

hey Ryan,grafted this peach tree about a month ago........... its doing great.Used the grafting tool I bought on ebay.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        Brian
        Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

• SmyFigs
          SmyFigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Brian: Which tool did you buy? I bought one I thought was a good choice after reading reviews but when I got it, one piece was already broken so I returned it. I still would like to buy a one that works well though I don't want to spend more than $50-$60...suggestions?
          Ps: Your graft looks great!

That looks good brian, thanks!
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Professi...MAAOSwnDxUqli0

this is the one I received.............really works good
          Last edited by CajunB; 03-03-2016, 04:04 PM.
          Brian
          Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

• SmyFigs
            SmyFigs commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• Jamie0507
            Jamie0507 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay!! That's the same one I have! No clue how to use it myself lol but Im still excited bc your graft looks great! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

I've done a ton of grafting with the omega tool, the V tool and a razor knife. I get basically the same results with them all.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

Good to hear scott, and brian the one I ordered is red and looks just a slight bit different but hopefully will work just as good.
            Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

I prefer using a box cutter razor. I had problems with a grafting tool like in CajunB's link pulling the bark away from wood when making cuts.
              Barry
              NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

I'll be trialing a Grafting Tool similar to the Zenport ZJ67 this Spring...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	SV006590-2-enjoyeday.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	74251
                I have not had any success with fig grafting, but the failures were mostly due to the scion drying out not the graft union.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I have the tool and I've tried it with ok results, the best method is the way Hershell taught me. It's called the banana graft method and it's really easy. Here is a detailed video on the method.
                  https://youtu.be/zWUaQ1Cj1cM
                  Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• AscPete
                    AscPete commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for posting this video, will definitely trial this method...

• Jamie0507
                    Jamie0507 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    AWESOME!! I think I can do this one!! Thanks a bunch for posting this video!

• Slingfox
                    Slingfox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great video!

Randall, thanks for posting this video, out of all the grafting videos I've seen this is the first time I've seen this method and it does look easy, I will try it on my peaches also.
                  Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Thanks, Randall. I will try this one.
                    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

The other issue with the grafting tools, which someone may have already addressed, is that they require the stock and scion to be of a certain size. To small and the shape will not be correct, to large will not fit in the tool.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

• AscPete
                        AscPete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The ZJ67 type tools will work for calipers less than approx. 1/2 inch, typical of most grafts alignment of the cambium is required, so at least one side of each union could be aligned and should be easy for novices, like myself.

http://www.zenportindustries.com/upl...e/P00880_1.pdf
                        Last edited by AscPete; 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM.

I agree with Harvey. I took grafting classes - (mainly for apples) while at Va Tech and my professor hated the crappy blades installed in all the grafting tools supplied to us. He used a knife. We made lots of bad grafts and crushed anything remotely soft. Few things in life are of more value then a good quality sharp knife.

Comment

Ditto Michael on a quality sharp knife, preferably sharpened on one side only (easier to make the proper cuts). I've never used a grafting tool, but a good knife works wonders with practice, and it's easy to keep it razor sharp.
                        Neil
                        Reno, 6b

Comment

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before, but it does show how simple grafting can be. I dont think the paper bags would last long here in Alabama. I wish I could get a translation though. https://youtu.be/-5vorqi7X3c

Comment

Comment

• SmyFigs
                              SmyFigs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This technique looks easy enough

I'm currently practicing fig grafts with my new omega type grafting tool and various knives.
                            I've been able to achieve very straight cuts (whip & tongue and budding) with a standard disposable blade utility knife.

The attached videos are not fig specific but are very instructive and demonstrate the use of a standard utility knife for the grafting.

Bud Graft... Apple

Cleft Graft... Apple

Choosing the right graft... Apple

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Jamie0507
                              Jamie0507 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Pete I can't even tell you how helpful these videos were for me.. I now have images in my mind that match the common grafting techniques! I think the bud graft looks the easiest so far, but they all seem pretty doable! Thanks a bunch for posting these! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰

• AscPete
                              AscPete commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Jamie,
                              You're welcome.
                              They were very helpful for me as well.
                              The same grafts types that were used and explained in the videos have also been used successfully with figs.
                              I'm also planning on several T-Bud grafts this season, one key as explained is to remove the leaves (from bud wood) but leave the petiole (leaf stem) attached to use as a handle when placing the bud graft. Since I grow my cuttings as staked single stemmed &quot;trees&quot; anyway it should be easy enough to insert the buds of different cultivars below the &quot;green&quot; bark creating 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 fig trees.

Very ironic the subject come up today .., I was just talking to the graft gods H&H tis morning about tis tool. I buy it specificity for one graft. That's how badly I want tis cutting to survive and grow! Of course as we known these two guys are complete ninjas when come to grafting and both suggest hand blade to graft. IF IF IF one of the blades that come l tis tool makes a very beneficial cut to both stock and cutting for best odds I will even be willing to bring blade into shop to have laser sharpened to make sure is the cleanest cut I can get. BUT is the reason behind mix emotion on tis tool because there's more to its cons besides blade not too sharp or is more to it? Again is just me asking because I only have one cutting and really want to see it live.
                            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
                            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• AscPete
                              AscPete commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Grafting knives give you the flexibility of using all the graft types but require learning and practice of the cuts (straight and flat) and mating of the stock and scion surfaces. After over 100 practice cuts (fig and mulberry) with the Omega Type Grafting Tool it still cuts with the same ease and results.

From most of the videos and photos on the internet the cuts on the trailing edge are often ragged due to insufficient force on the blade when it nears the anvil, it should be pushed through the surface of the anvil to get a clean cut on the leaving edge of the stock or scion cut (at the anvil surface).

The grafting tool also works poorly on tender growth (crushing due to the required cutting force), but most dormant fig cuttings are partially lignified and more &quot;woody&quot;. Good Luck.

BTW, a $2 - $5 dollar utility knife makes a very good grafting knife, but caution (safety precautions) and practice are required.

I use the omega tool for "larger" Scionwood, for smaller stock (plum, nectarine...so on) I use my Dewalt utility knife.

Comment

Crap/Cazzo......
                              Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                              1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
                              2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

This is a graft I did with my tool that is already breaking bud, now this graft isn't even two weeks old yet so I know it's not healed but if it's breaking bud it shouldbe safe to say that it is a good graft. The other pic is my first T - bud graft before I wrapped it with parafilm. I made this T upside down and the other one right side up and the upside down one was easier for me to work.
                                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                                Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

• Jamie0507
                                  Jamie0507 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  YAY!!! That is a very encouraging sign!! Looks very promising Can't wait to give mine a try.. Unfortunately none of my older trees have really fully woken up yet so I may have to wait a bit for that sap to get flowing before I start

Finally got to try some banana grafting today.
                                was an omega banana combo... took a nice chunk out of my finger in the process though, next time, less distractions lol... donโ€™t worry I used wax tape, just didnโ€™t get that picture.
                                Attached Files
                                Tucson AZ zone 9a

Comment

• Laeotis
                                  Laeotis commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  One thing Iโ€™m wondering about the banana graft... do you take the scion down to the green or just past to the yellowish green part? I tried to get both on the four side of contact, but Iโ€™m not sure I understand the process perfectly.

I tried grafting tool last spring, it was my first grafting experience of any grafting.
                                Although it seems to be easy it wasn't for me but I manage to have 3 survivals, it is also posible that the cuttings that I used where not so good, because I grafted three different varieties and 3 of each one of them was Yellow long neck three cuttings and all three of them survived none of the other.

โ€‹

โ€‹
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_223154.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	416863
                                At the end of season, the green unknown turn out to be I thing Hardy Chicago. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181211_222753.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	416866

โ€‹ โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
                                Attached Files
                                Looking for De La Gloria.Your best teacher is your last mistake !

Comment

Working...
                                X