X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just joined, too!

Lots of familiar names here... I'm happy to be here. I've been a fig lover for years, but started growing my first two trees, a Black Mission and a Peter's Honey, a few years ago. Last spring, a big tree fell over on top of my Black Mission, so to save it, I took my first cuttings. They rooted, and now I have a couple of small Black Mission trees. And a few others. Yes, I'm hooked.
    USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Welcome. I had hoped for 50 people by the end of the first week.........I am amazed and grateful to you all.
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

You've surpassed your goal already, so congratulations, WillsC!
      USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Hello Joann,
        Welcome, Glad to have you here... I think we're all hooked!
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Excited to be on board and happy to see a nice mix of pros and relative newbies like myself on the forum.

Started planting fruit trees and ornamentals last Spring after moving from a townhouse to a single family home on a 3/4 acre lot in Jan 2014. Learned about figs over the summer and they have become both a hobby and obsession ever since, despite my broader interest in fruit trees and ornamentals. I guess the fig bug hit me hard. I currently have around 50 varieties, all acquired since Sept.

My wife thinks I am absolutely nuts, as I have never cared about gardening or planting anything in my life before we moved and now we have an orchard with trees in multiple areas of the backyard and my "man cave" is an indoor fig cutting farm! She calls them my "fig twigs" and gives me grief often. Can anyone relate?
          Last edited by Hardyfigs; 02-17-2015, 11:21 PM.
          Ryan -- Monmouth County NJ, Zone 6B/7A

Comment

• PawPaw Gene
            PawPaw Gene commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome Ryan,
            My wife looks at me funny each time I get a package and ask, more fig stick?
            "gene"

Hi Joann. I'm here too. Peter, thanks for mentioning it to me.

Mike central NY state, zone 5a
          Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

Comment

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Mike,
            Glad to see you here. Our fig forum is a much more cordial community...

Originally posted by oceanfigs View Post
          Excited to be on board and happy to see a nice mix of pros and relative newbies like myself on the forum.

Started planting fruit trees and ornamentals last Spring after moving from a townhouse to a single family home on a 3/4 acre lot in Jan 2014. Learned about figs over the summer and they have become both a hobby and obsession ever since, despite my broader interest in fruit trees and ornamentals. I guess the fig bug hit me hard. I currently have around 50 varieties, all acquired since Sept.

My wife thinks I am absolutely nuts, as I have never cared about gardening or planting anything in my life before we moved and now we have an orchard with trees in multiple areas of the backyard and my "man cave" is an indoor fig cutting farm! She calls them my "fig twigs" and gives me grief often. Can anyone relate?
          I think we can all relate, Ryan! My dining room has become my twig forest, although I've started to put the rooted twigs with leaves outside to get a little fresh air and sunshine. If you can't eat it, it had better at least smell wonderful. If it doesn't, it doesn't belong here.

Comment

Working...
          X