X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2gallon SIP

I finally got around to making my first SIP this evening. I've been collecting buckets from the local grocery stores for the past few weeks. Most of them have been 2gallon icing buckets, so this was a good learning experience before I move up to the 4gallon and 5gallon buckets.

The Ronde de Bordeaux got the nod for this first one.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Looks great! You will love them.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson
      Fig Phenom
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      That tree is one of the ones you gave me last summer, Frank. In the past three days, it has really awakened and put out some nice leaves. Looking forward to get growing up more this summer.

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett
      Veteran
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I am rooting some good varieties this year. Make room for them in the next year or two.

Your figs should love it too. I went straight the 5 gallons and they grew great. I'm wondering if I should root prune them already but I'm going to up pot some and keep some in the same 5 gallons to see how they do for a second year without root pruning. They put on about 6ft of growth and 3 of 7 gave me around 15 figs each their first year.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste, Rubado, Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

I'm in agreement that "you will love them", but at 2 gallons they may be root bound in only a few months...
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson
        Fig Phenom
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll likely use the 2gallons for more vigorous cuttings just getting started and use the 4 and 5 gallons for the more established plants.

Alright its time for me to get on board with this whole SIP craze lol,
      AscPete
      Fig Phenom
      AscPete I am about to commence on a mad searching frenzy to find your detailed instructions on the how to's of building my own.. @Bryant can you think of any posts that stuck out to you as being most helpful? Frank I know you are a SIP master as well (I believe many members here are sold on the use of SIP's?) so if anyone has any advice or recommended reads/posts/tips I would sure appreciate the direction.. Although I am sure a quick search will reveal many informative posts right off the bat.. I still love the personal advice you all so kindly offer
      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Cuttings Available 2022:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Jamie0507
      Jamie0507 Well, I've picked up a lot of info across several threads here and at F4F, but to be honest the most concise instructions and diagrams I've seem, come from an article on a prepper site that I had printed off awhile back. You can find it here --> http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog...he-sip-way.htm

Now, the next one I build (maybe his evening), will be a single-bucket SIP using a colander as outlined by AscPete at F4F--> http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....55&postcount=9

Pete has some good advice and info on media for SIPS on this thread--> http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...g-kitty-litter

Updated: The thread Pete posted ("Making and Using SIPs for Fig Culture.") is the one that got me going to collect the buckets and get started.
      DBJohnson
      Fig Phenom
      Last edited by DBJohnson; 03-07-2016, 11:14 AM.
      Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Bryant for a TON of useful information here! I was just outside all day doing some up-potting and dragging some of my larger dormant figs out to feel some real sunshine! Wow it sure was beautiful out! I realize though that I think.. No no, I know... Im in over my head! Lol! I've seriously got to look into all of your recommended threads (love the prepper sites too! Lol), because I simply cant afford to fill over 70 10-25gal pots with soil! Lol never mind drag them around & in and out.. 5gal is just more realistic.. Thanks a bunch for sharing so many great links!

Jaime - I have about 50 trees in 2 bucket SIPs started last year, some made with 5-7 gallon upper sections, some with smaller 4 gallon buckets. For me they are the way to go for plants in pots, as I am not going to move larger pots up and down the stairs to my basement cold storage room. I plan on keeping them pruned smaller than "real trees" and will likely need to root prune them every 2-3 years - time will tell. I have not tried Pete's single bucket colander model yet. I like the 2 bucket system with a fill pipe.

I am putting some in ground as well, but that is another story...
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ed!!!! 😁 Ive missed ya! Haven't seen you on too often over the last month or so, really glad to hear from ya! I totally hear ya Ed, dragging these big pots up & down to/from a basement just isnt happening.. I admit it, I went nuts this winter & rooted an insanely high number of trees and Im just now beginning to really see what I will be in for this summer as far as trying to water & tend to them all. I think the SIPS will be a lifesaver.. Like you I have also decided I will definitely be putting a number of them into the ground as well, otherwise the figs will be taking over my house by next winter! Haha! Sooo cant have that.. The kids might be mad at me lol! Thank you for sharing your experience with me, there is a bunch of different ways to come at making a SIP I see.. I definitely have some reading to do like ASAP-ola! Thanks again Ed
    Working...
    X