X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally finished building a greenhouse on the deck. (pics)

Finally! After countless hours, it's ready to go. Will it work? I don't know yet. It's my first greenhouse and I don't know what to expect, especially with it being on a deck. I didn't have a great spot in the yard, so this was the next best place.
    I built the subfloor with 2" foam board insulation between the studs, then I sandwiched a 1/2" sheet of foam board in between the plywood and studs.
    To add height, I built the 6x8 harbor freight GH on top of 2x12s.
    I used vinyl sheet flooring with a drain in the middle. I drilled a hole in one of the 2x12s to run an ext cord, then insulated the hole. I also modified the door. It was intended to slide, but I converted it to a knob-style, as I read the sliding door was prone to popping off the tracks.
    I added one long shelf for starts (herbs, veggies, etc) and kept the rest of the space for the trees.
    Total for everything you see was a little over $600. I have a radiant heater and I know I'll need a fan and probably some other things. I'll eventually remove the piece of 2x12 under the doorway and extend the length of the door for easier entry. We'll see how it goes...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 10 photos.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Very nice!
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bryant!

Nice work, Frank!!! And you can't beat that location for convenience!
    I like the fact that it looks kind of portable -- It looks like you could pop the top off and relocate the base (with a bit of help) if you had to. Nice design!
    Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim. I added several 2x4s for stability. With about 20min of removing some screws, it should pop right off.

Nice. Let me know when you have time to come over to build mine.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha!
      Man, I'm embarrassed to know how many hours I've put into this. Too many!

Looks solid and should work just fine.. Do you feel the 6x8 is big enough for you? I am on the fence for both sizes.... Chad
    Iowa Z5

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, based on the amount of trees I have now, this will suffice. I will be focusing on extending the season just for the varieties that really need it. If I had a good spot for the 10x12, I would've gotten that one for sure. If you have the space my vote is definitely bigger.

Congrats, Nice looking build...
    Good Idea on the floor insulation.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Pete.

Well done. It looks to be a well engineered project.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerry. I'm glad it's done. Projects never finish when I think they will! haha

Look very close to me but you have belle floor and deeper! Congratulation Amico !
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike. Good luck with yours this year!

Impressive.......can you come over and build one for me?

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure!

Sweet!!! Very nice work Frank!! I will have to start bothering my husband IMMEDIATELY to build me one like this! Lol! I bought an el cheapo at home depot that was leftover & on sale last fall for $45.. Omg it blew away after 3 days due to our insanely high winds here.. You can't even imagine the look on my face when I saw it stuck to the fencing around the trampoline about an acre away! Lol 😱!!Yours is definitely not going anywhere! Best of luck with it, looks GREAT! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
    My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jamie. Right after I added the panels, the following night we had high winds that pushed out 2 panels. I knew they had to be reinforced, but didn't have time that day. If you decide on this model, definitely add extra support for the panels and frame! Thanks for the kind words.

Frank is tis same as mine from harbor freight.... I like how you do bottom wood in spring time I am going to do as you but also I am put small retractable atv wheels on it so I can roll out garage over lawn into side of home or maybe just tow it all the way to farm ahahahaha!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Taverna78; 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• F. Bennett
      F. Bennett commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great idea! Brilliant

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Grazie
      I think you can agree is a lot of work to take apart and store for summer.

nice!

Comment

Frank your build is inspiring

Thank You!
      Wish List: πŸ™πŸΌ Mavra Sika

Comment

Looks good!
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Nice GH Frank. Do you have any concerns with the wind?
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• F. Bennett
            F. Bennett commented
            Editing a comment
            I do, but since I used screws to reinforce the panels, I feel a little better. By default, there are metal spring clips that will not hold the panels in place if you get strong wind.

Impressive looking project Frank. You are not planning to use this to overwinter your trees, right? Just for a season extender? Looks like it should work great!
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• F. Bennett
            F. Bennett commented
            Editing a comment
            That's right, Ed. I simply want to extend the season. It will probably not be used during the summer and winter.

Looks great, Frank!

We're building a deck ourselves for our house, and even with the decking not fully laid yet, have already put two mini greenhouse units on it. You can't beat the convenience.
          Sarah
          Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• F. Bennett
            F. Bennett commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Yes, I love that it's so convenient to the house.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!
          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Working...
          X