X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help save my tree

Hello everybody.
    I would like to ask as many of you as possible to chime in and please help me save my most expensive cutting. I have been talking quite a bit to Willc threw pm and I do not want to bother him too much as he has one person and you are many. About three months ago I had purchased a cutting from a gentleman off the Internet and I pay $60 for one cutting. It was listed as "G.E Neri Fig tree cutting" huge fruit size. Show a fig as big as tennis ball and tomato. It was my very first cutting to try and root. I did exactly what the seller told me to do and I rooted it successfully in smag moss. I was told once it had 1/2 inch roots to transfer it into 100% pure perlite and water it every few days which I did. The cup is well drained and perlite held moisture. Soon after the transition I noticed a small bud that turned into 3 small leaf (no root showing threw perlite yet) and they were doing good the suddenly they wilted and fall off. Now almost a month later there is no new leaf and what was once a healthy looking branch that hosted them 3 leafs is slimming down slowly. There is still no sign of roots unless I am blind. I think this may have been due to over water and maybe cause root rot? I have not watered since just a light misting from spray bottle as I do daily to the entire bin. This actually happen to 2 of my cuttings but this one I'm most concerned about because of its expensiveness and I can not get anymore. I will attach pictures but being they're in 100% perlite should I flood and float the cutting loose and air out the roots for a few minutes and replant in a better airy drier medium ? Should I try this hydrogen peroxide method (that I can't figure out measurements ) or do I leave it be. I feel it's had long enough left alone to show signs of recovery and I thinks it's time to help it? Also hypothetically speaking if I did cause root rot and the roots are garbage can I move up to the next node and cut it there and try to reroot it again?
    Grazie
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'm sad to tell you it does not look good and it may be too late to do anything to save it. Sometimes a cutting will not make it even with attentive care. It sounds like too much water and misting. I'd suggest you just let it be - you never know.

If you have access to mature fig trees already growing, perhaps you could take cuttings from them for rooting practice. My own method evolved as I learned what worked and what didn't. The temptation to water is always great, but for me 'barely moist' works best.

It hurts to lose a valuable fig cutting. But sometimes it happens.
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I would remove cutting from perlite.If the cutting has began to rot,remove rotten portion to next node.
        Start over again,hope for the best.
        New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Thanks guys I think I'm going to inspect the roots tonight. I have let it be for a while and seems like it continues to diminish. If I have to cut and re root do I need to give it chill time before doing so or just cut and root?

Comment

Taverna78,
            If you find that you have a section of the cutting that's still alive (viable) you could try this method... http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ethod#post6175 .

The above method works well, it provides needed moisture, nutrients and when the temperature is maintained at ~75 deg. F. its usually very successful. Rooted cuttings need dilute fertilization to grow, without these added nutrients the cutting expends (uses up) all its stored reserves and dies, this is aside from rot that is caused by too much moisture. Good Luck.
            Last edited by AscPete; 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM. Reason: temp.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Taverna78
              Taverna78 commented
              Editing a comment
              I assuming I would do this if the roots are rotted and if I cut off below the next node also auuuming I gently scrape bark with razor I see green? Should I also dip the top in wax the center seems to be receding as well will wax elp?

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              I seal all my top cut ends with wax or pruning sealer, but they are usually freshly cut ends. It helps to prevent dessication. The top cup / humidity dome in the link serves the function of reducing dessication (drying out) by keeping the humidity high.

Ok I will do this! Grazie for the elp

Comment

You already got some good advice here. Good luck!
              Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
              Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Working...
              X