X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel

Excel! Please share any experiences and photos you may have here and on the variety page.

Excel is a hybrid bred by Ira Condit and released by Bill Storey in 1975. It was bred to be an improved Kadota. When ripe, it has light, greenish yellow skin with amber flesh. The fruits are highly resistant to splitting with superb honey flavor. Compared to Kadota it has a smaller eye. Seems to be superior to Kadota, should be more widely distributed.

This variety seems to be somewhat hardy, maybe zone 7? It is reported by Adriano to do well in Canada, however others have reported it died in zone 6. I intend to plant it out this spring, we'll see what happens.

A strong rooter for me, surprisingly healthy and vigorous for being from UCD. Grew nearly 4' in it's first year with little to no FMV. This is the only photo I could find of mine, sorry it's washed out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	excel.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	7489
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Ack, Excel wasn't even on my radar before. Quit making me want to try another variety.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah! Maybe you can have mine.

I had a Kadota which I gave away. I have an Excel (also excell) that is on probation. To my palate, it's not exceptional but I'll give it another fruiting season.

Kelby, thanks so much for these variety threads. I'm totally enjoying them.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you like them!

Excel gave me large and near flawless looking fruit. The taste was good, but not as flavorful as I had hoped. It could also be due to growing in a SIP. Perhaps it prefers a dryer medium?
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Working...
    X