X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes! Flooded a plant! What should I do?

OK, so I have moved my plants out to the greenhouse over the past few days. Found the spigot was busted and plumber was here fixing it. Once fixed, I started the hose filling the black barrels for thermal mass. Got distracted with a call from work and the barrel overflowed...right into my Nero600. It is a plant rather than a newly rooted cutting and is in a 1g pot. Drainage is good enough that I didn't lose any growing medium, but this thing is saturated.

I'm considering quickly building a 5g SIP to up-pot it and get it into some drier medium. For now I've moved it to a dry area where it will get some warmth and hopefully some evaporation.

Thoughts?
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

If you're concerned that your medium is too saturated, you can use some newspaper (paper towels, rags, etc) to wick some moisture away. Figs are pretty tough. It'll probably be ok.
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I may do that instead and see what it's like tomorrow morning.

If it's well established and leafing out, it would probably be fine either way. As long as it isn't chronic over watering, I haven't been able to over water my established figs.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks! It is established and leafing nicely in the warmth of the greenhouse.

If the root ball is intact just remove it from the pot and let it air for 24 hours. It will be good as new

Ian
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

• DBJohnson
      DBJohnson commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Good advice. I have done both, wicked away on a folded towel and taken out of pot and let air dry for awhile
    Garden Pics
    http://s117.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I think it will be fine. If you twist and push a piece of paper towel an inch or two up in to one of the bottom drain holes then set it on a brick so the paper towel hangs down on the ground the excess water will be gone in just a couple hours. The magic of capillary action.
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Working...
      X