X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Score from a Chance Meeting at the VA

Well, had to go to the VA today. Doesn't sound like a big ordeal to most, but I suffer from social anxiety and agoraphobia, so it's like pulling teeth. Any way, one of the vets I was seated next to works at a local mom and pop nursery. I started talking figs with him. He only carries Brown Turkey, but commented several customers were looking for something else. Long story short, I traded him a newly rooted Black Mission and LSU purple for a 6ft tall Red Navel orange tree loaded with blossoms! If you've never has a red navel, they are sweeter and less acidic than the regular navel orange. I think next time I will see if I can trade for compost!!
    I asked about his pile of used pots. Again, long story short, I left with my Red Navel tree, 20 - 15 gal pots, 30 - 7 gallon pots, 100 - 2 gallon pots and 150 - 1 gallon pots for FREE!!! I have not been this happy doing menial labor in a long time! Guess it pays to ask!!
    Edward - Edgewater, Florida (Zone 9b)
    Wish List: Holy Smokes, U. Prosciutto, Ham Rham, Labritja

Nice score, Edward!

Sometimes it pays to strike up conversations.

Good luck with your continued recovery and thank you for your service.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

What a great exchange! Congrats!
      Zone 7a in Virginia

Comment

A fantastic out come for sure.

Congrats
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Thanks all. I do feel bad though. The rooted cuttings were duplicates I received from the very generous members of this forum. Hope no one minds.

Comment

Good for you Edward.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Sweet Wish I had that kind of luck here.

Comment

Looks like going to the VA was a very good thing today!!! Nothing like the kindness of strangers. You gave him something and he gave you something. And pots are not so easy to come by!

I got lucky a few weeks ago when I driove into a neighborhood where the homeowner was re-landscaping. I asked the landscaper if he was getting rid of the used pots. Although they said no, he still grabbed a bunch and gave them to me. I was gifted about 15 of his 10 gallon pots! It was just kindness. I try to do the same whenever possible and it always comes back when I least expect it.

Comment

A little kindness DOES go a long way.

Comment

A great day for sure! And you shouldn't feel bad for trading your extra cuttings. That is a great way to do business!
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Lol, Greenfig...I think I will always need (want) more figs🙂

Comment

Wow!! Im setting up my appt at the VA (that Ive been avoiding lol) immediately! Lol! Sweet deal Edward! As much as I dread going to the VA for my medical needs, there is never a shortage of interesting conversations to be had with our fellow disgruntled veterans (who have been waiting their turn for what seems like forever)! Lol but never have I run into someone wanting to talk figs or any kind of growing/gardening in general.. Maybe I need to start the conversations once in a while! Hehe! Like everyone already said, pots (especially that size) are not easy to come by so I'm glad the day turned out so well 4 ya! 😉
                      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Cuttings Available 2022:
                      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

• efletche
                        efletche
                        efletche commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It took me a long time to get an appt at my VA. Not because of the VA, but I couldn't motivate myself to make it. My sister actually came down from Maryland and took me there. Still, it is difficult for me to leave the house for anything, even my appts. I'm just happy I can force myself outside to water my plants every few days (again, still feels like pulling teeth).

• Jamie0507
                        Jamie0507
                        Jamie0507 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Edward I think you took an amazing step forward just getting out the door to your appointment! I have a close family member who struggles with severe agoraphobia, so I do have some insight on the grip it can have over a person's life.. I totally applaud you for facing your fears and charging forward through the door despite everything inside telling you not to dare leave.. Intestinal fortitude.. You my friend have a lionshare of it and I hope you don't mind if I share your story with my family member? She needs to know it can be done..

• efletche
                        efletche
                        efletche commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You may share if you wish. It's not like I set high goals for myself. Small tasks completed can be just as fulfilling.

Edward, I spend a great portion of my time at the VA with my husband who has some severe medical conditions, not the least of which is PTSD. His duty in Vietnam included running a warehouse that housed Agent Orange and going on convoys and missions to retrieve our deceased warriors. He will not talk about it and I can assure you that screaming nightmares after fireworks, thunderstorms etc are often heard at our house. Thank goodness for his little service dog which will wake him and bring him around. Although she is small she is a mighty warrior herself You did a wonderful thing and I thank you for it. Good luck and keep working with your doctors. It does get better but it takes much time and correct balanced medicine.

Comment

• efletche
                        efletche
                        efletche commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Being here in the chat room actually helps. I can't bring myself to answer my phone and I never let anyone in my home, except my best friend. Being here helps me keep in touch with people (who have similar interests) without having to see them in person (no offense meant here).

Congratulations! I think that's a great use of extra cuttings. I'm hoping for a miraculous recovery for you.
                      Bob C.
                      Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

• efletche
                        efletche
                        efletche commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks. I can't wait for the day I can just walk down the street during the day and meeting my neighbors. Unfortunately, this has been going on for several years without much improvement. Working with the figs has actually got me outside in the yard a bit. Would love to turn my yard into an edible one, one plant at a time. Heard about this 'miracle berry' plant. The berries are supposed to make things taste sweet for up to 30 minutes after eating the berry. That's my next gardening target plant.

• Jamie0507
                        Jamie0507
                        Jamie0507 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The day will come Edward! Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will find your way.. Your journey has already started and you are closer today than you were yesterday.. You have goals! Just keep making your way closer to them each day my friend

Edward,

Logees has the miracle berry plant but maybe some place closer to you has it.

http://www.logees.com/miracle-fruit-...ulcificum.html

Good luck in your search.

Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I've seen the berry featured on a TV show, people were blow away!

They were asked to try something very sour and nasty, after a bad reaction they were given the berry and asked to try the dish again. ... all could not believe how good the dish now tasted.

I've been thinking about growing one or two myself.
                      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Working...
                      X