X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! Early uncovering and minimal white fuzz (mold?)! What does it mean?

Are dormant figs supposed to have green buds on the branches or not? I'm concerned because two of them do not and have a little bout of fuzzy white mildew. I unwrapped them sprayed with hydrogen peroxide then replaced the bottom insulation which was a little soggy. The branches were still green under the bark despite the white fuzz.

The problem seems to be that the lower insulation may have settled and absorbed some of the ground moisture. Still, only the paper was soggy. The tree and pink stuff was fairly dry but probably caused humidity inside to create the fuzz. Even if I clean them will the branches rot and die or will they put out new growth? This is the one issue with wrapping that drives me crazy. I wish there were a way to prevent moisture buildup under the wrap. Regardless of whether I use insulation of not, it happens. I put rocks at the base of the trees today to prevent the insulation from touching the ground and absorbing any water.

Anyone that's experienced this, will early intervention prevent dieback? To what extent does the fuzz damage the affected areas? Is it hopeless once fuzz appears regardless of how much? Thanks!

Rewton, I did use the heat lamps during that bitter cold spell and it seemed to work well.
    Attached Files

Dormant trees usually have green buds, they may sometimes be hidden under a sheath, but they should be green.

White fuzz is usually Mold and if it has grown down below the bark the branches will be dead.
    If you're lucky it may still just be on the surface. Best of Luck
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

They will be fine Amico. Next time cardboard or wood first THEN wrap with insulation then tarp. Start from each tip and gently try snapping the top off. If it bends is alive. If snaps off dry cut back to where is bendable. Now is unwrapped no more mold. Just whipe off and is good. Some times you will have buds other time no. But if branches are bendable they will sprout. I also think heat lamps may if be too much but tis is how we learn

And remember ALWAYS non absrobant against bare tree then paper side insulation always face in.
      Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
      1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
      2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
        They will be fine Amico. Next time cardboard or wood first THEN wrap with insulation then tarp. Start from each tip and gently try snapping the top off. If it bends is alive. If snaps off dry cut back to where is bendable. Now is unwrapped no more mold. Just whipe off and is good. Some times you will have buds other time no. But if branches are bendable they will sprout. I also think heat lamps may if be too much but tis is how we learn

And remember ALWAYS non absrobant against bare tree then paper side insulation always face in.
        Thanks for the feedback. I removed the soggy insulation, sprayed with hydrogen peroxide and recovered. This time I put rocks on the bottom to prevent the insulation from touching the ground. The three trees on the left are great. The two on the right have the fuzz. I hope that the two put out new buds on the unaffected wood because total dieback to the ground will result in minimal yield this season.

Comment

You uncover and recover? No leave open for the season? I am uncover mine next week. Even then although I will have to put blanket over couple nights but is ganna stay warm in daytime and do no wanna cook them

Comment

Originally posted by Taverna78 View Post
            You uncover and recover? No leave open for the season? I am uncover mine next week. Even then although I will have to put blanket over couple nights but is ganna stay warm in daytime and do no wanna cook them
            Yes, I did replacing insulation. As long as it stays above 30°, and no rain, the buckets are off and the top of the branches are exposed to the sunlight. I never had any luck by wrapping with the blanket overnight to prevent freezing. This way there's a happy medium between temperature and exposure. I'm not unwrapping until the end of April because no matter how warm it gets during the day, we always get one or two days of freezing temperatures at night. It only takes one night to kill new growth. I have been experimenting with keeping the buckets off. The last few days of warm temperatures and cool nights have not incurred any moisture buildup, and in fact, helped dryout the insides almost completely. Upon inspection, the bottom of the insulation must have picked up moisture from touching the ground. My guess is that the smaller trees affected by the mold have smaller space and therefore were more susceptible to humidity problems. This time, and from now on, I will put a layer of rocks to prevent contact with the ground.

The picture of the moldy tree above is of the one that was particularly not driving last year for some reason. Perhaps it's just a weak tree because it stop putting growth out in the beginning of June, and then all of the figs ripened at once in September and the new ones fell off. All the other trees were vibrant and vigorous. The Kadota had Wi-Fi is only on the top branches, and the few side branches were green with buds further down so prognosis is good.

If the troublesome tree doesn't but or show growth at the same time as the others, I'm planning to just rip it out and move the little Kadota in that spot to get more sunlight which is currently being somewhat shaded by the Peach tree.

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the two large healthy trees. One is Celeste and other is Spanish Mission which I'm guessing is a Brown Turkey but unsure.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Ahhhh is good ideas and good looking trees!

Comment

Just about every tree I covered this year experienced a little tip die back. I left six trees uncovered and none experienced die back. I am wondering if the trees to some degree generate more antifreeze as temps get colder?
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

What if the branches are visible green with a little bit of white fuzz? Does that mean I caught it early enough?

Comment

Working...
                    X