X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: air layering lemons

I want to air layer a Meyer Lemon. Can it be done? Anybody tried this with citrus?
    Any pros and cons? Any suggestions?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Boysenberry Blush

Lemons can be rooted from cuttings and do well on there own roots. What variety is it?
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

I rooted my meyer lemon from cuttings last October and they did pretty well. They already have tons of blossoms a few lemons that look like they are sticking.

Not sure why it wouldn't work with air layers.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste, Rubado, Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

I personally would air layer any citrus over cuttings. I have not had good luck with cuttings of my citrus. They always drop there leaves for me when I try. All of my air layers take but it will take time to get a good root ball. Agreed there very healthy on there own roots. Chad
        Iowa Z5

Comment

Thanks, guys! That's awesome. I can wait whatever it takes, no rush. I will update the thread with a success or failure.
          I assume this should works with oranges and grapefruit too, right?
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Iowafig
            Iowafig
            Iowafig commented
            Editing a comment
            I air layered my oro blanco grapefruit and owari satsuma mandarin just like you would a fig tree.

I had asked this a while back. What is the best cutting for this, fresher green, older wood, or in between. I assume that setting this time of year right prior to spring is the best?

What is the best way to root these cuttings, I have tried in water a couple times with no success?
          Queens, NY. Zone 7B. Restarting my collection.

Comment

Don't know what is best but I used green for the cuttings and left on a leaf or two. Put them in a cup of moistened mix and sealed them in a bag under grow lights until they rooted. 4 of 4 rooted. Excessive moisture didn't seem to be a problem with them like figs.
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste, Rubado, Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

Lemons and limes are the only citrus that do well on there own roots. Satsumas will root but never seem to grow like a grafted tree.
              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
              X