X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Bananas

I read on the internet that banana peels have a root stimulator so it’s gotta be true. I’m hoping it’ll work better than injecting bleach to cure covid

Let the experiments begin.
    Attached Files
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Second Experiment...
    Attached Files
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

Ahh the rate and elusive “Banana Fig”.
      I’m looking forward to your results!
      Vancouver, WA Zone 8b See profile for current varietal list
      WL: Cessac, Campaniere, Burgan, Tashkent, Blue Honey, Cardenillo, Iranian Candy,
      Petrovaca, Joualle figs

Comment

Try it with sansivera too

Comment

Lol. Dude been there done that. Cuttings aren’t supposed to smell like Limburger.
          Willamette Valley Oregon, zone 8b. WL: zaffiro, rodgrod, campaniere, de la Gloria, thermalito, del sen juame gran, Sangue dolce, Jack Lily, verdolino, Syrian dark, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, i258, raasti, white triana, petravaca bijela, bordissot verda

Comment

Don't bananas also have an ant stimulator? Just sayin...
            Emily - Complete Noob (I usually kill things before I get fruit/veg out of them).
            Zone 9b, Palo Alto, SF Bay Area, CA (closer to San Jose than SF); 100% Container gardening

Comment

I don't about your approach. But one of the most popular "root simulator" products that has been around for years is mostly just potassium with some B-1 mixed in. We all know that bananas are high in potassium.

Good luck, and let us know.
              Texas (N. Houston area) - zone 8b
              Wish List: Rubado, Thermolito, Calderona, Cavaliere, GM-172, and GM-25

Comment

A fig flavored banana. Yum!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBN5OG1LBlM
                Don - OH Zone 5b/6a

Wish list: @Your favorite fig and Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Kesariani, Calderona

Comment

I think YATAMA already tried the cutting thing with a banana. It didn't end well ...
                  Richard - San Diego 10a

Comment

If someone wants to wrap banana peels around a plant limb to try for an Air Layer,it is an unknown entity.My banana rooting experiment which was total failure was NOT Air Layering. However as air layering figs is so easy and successful with simple damp sphagnum wrapped around the branch,why worry about such exotic stuff as banana peels. I tried banana as rooting media because so many have abject failures trying to root even in standard proved effective media like peat or coir based media. To date here slightly modified garden soil out doors is the overall winner, with slightly damp well rinsed sediment free Optisorb DE the indoor winner.Am not looking for anything better as cannot trump 100% that garden soil produced this season thus far.Got another twenty going into garden soil next week.Something in real soil impedes cutting rot here.Likely soil bacteria,or fungi
                    Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST BURGAN UNK, ZAFFIRO,

Comment

• FMD
                      FMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just curious to see if there is any truth to the root stimulating theory of bananas. This is why I chose two equal branches from same tree to air layer and two equal cuttings from same branch to pot up. BTW, the potted cuttings are in garden soil that went directly into the ground. We shall see in 6 weeks if bananas can do more than be eaten.

Yes we have no bananas today!
                    The one on the left ...homicide by banana. Autopsy to follow.

The inground rooting experiment shows both cuttings to be alive. The one with the banana has no green yet. The banana-less cutting has a bud.
                    It’s beginning to look like bananas were made to eat and not to interact with fig.

Attached Files
                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                    North Florida Figs

Comment

The question was: does ethylene produced by rotting fruits actually inhibit root formation in cambium cells? Answer: yes, it is, a successful experiment with a banana peel confirmed this
                      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by acerpictum View Post
                        The question was: does ethylene produced by rotting fruits actually inhibit root formation in cambium cells? Answer: yes, it is, a successful experiment with a banana peel confirmed this
                        Not just inhibited root formation it looks to have killed the shoot..!! I have read that ethylene and nursery stock don't mix well. I guess that must be true.
                        Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
                        http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

• acerpictum
                          acerpictum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, there the whole escape-branch looks "unhealthy".

Originally posted by FMD View Post
                        Yes we have no bananas today!
                        The one on the left ...homicide by banana. Autopsy to follow.

The inground rooting experiment shows both cuttings to be alive. The one with the banana has no green yet. The banana-less cutting has a bud.
                        It’s beginning to look like bananas were made to eat and not to interact with fig.
                        FMD

I bit my tongue with the "banana fastened with to a fig tree with medical tape". I mean it was great...

But the "homicide by banana" .... Is that some sort of weird Calabrese, Banana Body Bag on it?

Ciccio..... Just for fun... As a favour to me.... Maybe you can try it with a melanzana?

Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• FMD
                          FMD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @TorontoJoe
                          Giuse , I may have been channeling the new Prime series, “Zero Zero Zero” that I just binged on when I wrote that. If you haven’t seen it yet and you want to see the beauty of Calabria in 4K as well as glimpses of the occasional fig tree, it is highly recommended.

Using an eggplant in place of a banana may change the variety to a melanzana. LOL.
                          Last edited by FMD; 06-02-2020, 11:32 AM.

• TorontoJoe
                          TorontoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I will check it out!

🤣😂😅

I am new to growing figs, but not to science. To do an experiment with an N number of 2, proves very little or nothing. My success rate for rooting cuttings is around 15% and for Air layers !00% so far. Banana or no banana, my results won"t probably change. And if it does, it would be total luck for rooting the cutting and why even try something different for AL?. That is why it takes so long to come up with a cure or a vaccine for this virus! Need thousand of patients or a high N number. Now, if I tried at least 20 for rooting and I see a difference, then it may means something. Actually not really because I would just ask YAMATA to sell me some of his garden soil so I too can have 100% success!!!
                        Peter - San Diego 10a. Santa Rosa 9b, 10b
                        WL: Any great tasting and prolific fig tree
                        Better to give than to receive

Comment

• acerpictum
                          acerpictum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I may have incorrectly translated and understood your message. But judging by the photo, autumn came too quickly for the branch on the left. How can this be explained from the point of view of science?

Ha ha. Loved “autumn came too quickly “ Whatever the conclusion of this experiment. It looks like bananas and fig propagation don’t mix. But, again. If AL death came to 10 branches out of ten, the certainty of the conclusion would have much more weight.

Comment

• DrDraconian
                          DrDraconian commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually, I have NEVER seen a failed air layer kill the branch when the branch wasn't girdled, so for me 1 out of 1 dead is a very significant result. Something about the banana rotted / killed the cambium layer underneath it.

• acerpictum
                          acerpictum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          DrDraconian Perhaps you know how to use bananas for ripening astringent persimmon varieties. Put in one bag persimmons and bananas, and ethylene released from bananas accelerates the ripening of persimmons. And in the case of air rooting, this gas acted as an inhibitor, and not as a root stimulant. And, probably, it caused rotting and death of the branch.
                          Last edited by acerpictum; 06-02-2020, 02:03 AM.

• YATAMA
                          YATAMA commented
                          Editing a comment
                          for me bananas are for my cereal as to ripening astringent persimmons why waste a banana'here we found one can simply dip a sewing or hypodermic needle in any kind of straight alcoholic liquor like vodka (100 proo f s best) and immediately stick the needle int the persimmon and repeat for each persimmon. leave the persimmons at room temp a few days and the astringency is gone. conversely persimmons re placed in plastic bag, a few drops of liquor are added and bag sealed for few days.Voila! no astringency. apparently old japanese trick.

I love this thread!!! I will have to do the experiment myself and see what happens. Unfortunately, I don’t have many branches to spare, I will try to repeat it and report back to this forum. 👍

Comment

If someone like Richard DrDraconian with vast experience in AL has never seen this happening, I too agree 1 out of 1 is valid. Because my experience is limited or my N number is low, I need more that a sample of one to arrive at any type of conclusion. I will still try this experiment for the sake of it.

Comment

I don’t understand. Why experiment with bananas? My results of propagating figs by rooting cuttings were not very good. I began to propagate figs by grafting. This method allowed me to propagate any hard-rooted varieties. Why move away from effective methods for propagating figs to bad ones? Vanity? The desire to become famous? Or nothing more to share on the forum with like-minded people?

Comment

• mwhight34
                              mwhight34 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Nothing wrong with trying something new

• Vladis
                              Vladis commented
                              Editing a comment
                              mwhight34 -- I can understand beginners in engineering who sow seeds in the hope of getting a new variety with delicious figs. I can understand beginners who are trying to plant figs on mulberries in the hope of getting a frost-resistant variety. I don’t understand when experienced engineers do these things.

• YATAMA
                              YATAMA commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Indeed. When one masters the art of throwing the perfect inside curve ball.Theres nothing more to learn about that so it'stime to study mastering the perfect OUTSIDE curve ! Last time I looked, hard to trump 100%.And thats fig A/L score here too.

My guess is something to do with ethylene breaking down any root progentation inhibitor.

Comment

I think you need to do the experiment again using fully composted and dried banana. If the ethylene inhibits growth, and I suspect fresh banana may be encouraging a fungus or other organism harmful to fig trees, composted banana may have more success.

Comment

• YATAMA
                                YATAMA commented
                                Editing a comment
                                why stop with bananas. theres watermelons, limburger cheese, pork brains,chitterlings,durian, etc.etc.!

You are right @YAMATA. Why try to to improve on 100% with AL? Also, why surround the end of a cutting with something soft and moist that is bound to rot when wetness and bad bugs is what it dislikes. Same with direct potting.

Comment

What is this bustle about? Frank wanted to check the method he read about on the Internet and checked. He did not write about what he was going to propagate varieties of figs in this way.
                                Smile: several people have already told me that the earth is flat, and we Russians live on the lower surface, Americans on the upper (under the sun). I have to find out for myself
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	KMO_176224_00017_1_t248_151202 (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	770199
                                Andrew

Comment

• Vladis
                                  Vladis commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  It’s easy to guess where they used to be treated. I have no such acquaintances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gi9zFRBCIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4RYgKP9MDM
                                Frank Tallahasee 8B
                                North Florida Figs

Comment

• acerpictum
                                  acerpictum commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The best

• Halligan-
                                  Halligan- commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  😂😂😂

Thank you Frank, needed a good bust out laughing welcome to the internet this morning, if you need more bananas I can grow them very fast.... lol
                                Last edited by Ben_in_NoFLA; 06-04-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• FMD
                                  FMD commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Glad to oblige, Ben. Steve Martin, the wild and crazy guy, will always be close to my funny-bone.
                              Working...
                              X