X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpon Springs, FL

Do we have any members from or close to Tarpon Springs FL? I have been dying to get back around there since I have been heavy into figs. There has to be some nice figs there. It's stated to have the highest % Greek American population of any US city, and combined with that coastal FL climate I can't imagine a better destination for the fig hunter in the U.S. I know I enjoyed some day trips there back in the last century, but I didn't appreciate figs then in the manner I do now. Need to find an excuse to travel there in late July.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Not close.....like 134 miles south of me.
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Hi Phil
      there is a member from tampa so that is about a half an hour drive for there.
      like i told some friends in the other forum, just go down town tarpon spings on a sunday morning,
      wait for St. Nicholas church to finish and just follow a greek guy home.
      andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Wills,
        It's all relative 134 miles seems close to me. It's a nice town and you would find some great eating, and maybe go sponging.

Andreas,
        I would love that but I am probably not forward enough to try that approach. Afraid I might get get arrested or beaten up, but yes making local contact there I can imagine would uncover some nice figs.

Comment

Phil,

We have the sponges up here as well. See them when we are scalloping but the process of turning a live sponge in to a sponge is a pain, easier to buy them
          Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I am about a half hour from Tarpon (Sponge Docks area). There are definitely a lot of houses around there with fig and olive trees. I plan on going this summer with a Greek friend (doesn't speak Greek though) and bringing some 1 gal figs to trade.

Wills - I didn't know you scalloped as well. Next to lobstering, that is my favorite Florida water activity. If I remember, there are some pretty strict rules around harvesting sponges. I think you would be better served buying a loofa from Wal Mart.

Comment

I go down to Tarpon Springs every year when I visit my friend in Clearwater, I have not seen fig trees but I will be on the lookout now!
              Rafael
              Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Sounds like we have a couple scouts! Good luck M5allen and Rafael and share back what you find. I WILL make it back there, but not as soon as desired I doubt. Just reading the history of the town gets me optimistic.

Comment

I love Tarpon Springs! A lot of family in Clearwater so it is a must stop for me. Now I have another thing to look for.
                  NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

I seem to remember there was a member of the GW fig forum by the user name budbackeast who lives near and has done some fig searching in Tarpon Springs area.
                    Kerry - NH zone 5
                    Wish list - Del Sen Jaume Gran , Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo , White Madeira #1 .

Comment

ok i lived in st petersburg for about 6 years but because i am greek it is a given that i spent time in tarpon springs.
                      first of all sorry to say but you will not find many fig trees in clearwater.
                      as far as the church thing... it was a joke. the best thing to to is go to the main strip and have a gyro (with or without tzatziki)
                      you will find many greeks in there that would like to chat... or the people that work there...
                      if that fails just walk to the souvenir stores (greek owned and operated) someone must have a tree or 2
                      i hope that helps.

Comment

• Needaclone
                        Needaclone commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The same advice applies to just about any roadside diner in New Jersey ;-)
                        Jim
                        PS I actually had my eye on a large fig tree growing near a dumpster beside a NJ diner. It got hit very hard by the winter of 2014 and barely grew back over the summer. After this winter, I don't have high hopes. Oh, well -- one diner down, 863 more to go...

Andreas, you have to hook me up with some local Greeks.

Comment

m5allen i have lost touch with most of the greeks there.
                        i only speak with 2 doctors and a lawyer. i dont think they can help.
                        i think you should visit the stores in tarpon springs. there are 2-3 more places you could look
                        ones is this place http://www.atheniangardens.com/ and the other is in clearwater beach. (there was a miniature golf place and a restorant right before that. (both have greek owners)
                        i hope this helps.
                        p.s. bringing some 1 gal figs to trade will not help you. if you find greeks with trees just ask for a few cuttings.

Comment

Working...
                        X