X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add-It Fertilizer Injector

I have been very happy with the drip irrigation system in my 5 gallon containers. It is just a hose end timer, a filter, and an anti-backflow device connected to 50' of 1/2" poly tubing running on the ground next to my pots, and then a 1/4" tube and adjustable drip stake feeding each pot. I have 50 or 60 figs plus another 20 or 30 other containers. I'd like to start fertigating to cut down on the time I spend mixing and pouring fertilizer into each pot.

I just bought the 1-pint Add-It Fertilizer Injector. http://www.groworganic.com/add-it-fe...pint-size.html Have any of you ever used it to fertigate figs in containers? What type of fertizer did you use and at what concentration? I have been giving my trees Miracle Grow, but I would like to switch to something organic this year since my trees are getting big enough that I may allow some to keep fruit this year. I think fish emulsion might work. IDK. Any ideas or better yet, first hand experience with this device?

I don't have any experience so I don't have much to add but I'm thinking I should set up some sort of drip irrigation myself.

I think it would be a good idea to at least make sure that you strain whatever fertilizer you use if it doesn't completely dissolve in water to prevent clogs.

I've started using Earth Juice grow and Bloom and Florilicous Plus liquids by hand. The Earth Juice definitely has some big chunks in it.
    Last edited by don_sanders; 06-16-2017, 10:42 PM.
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

The injector must be filled with a funnel. I was thinking of using either a funnel with a built in filter or just insert a coffee filter into the funnel. The drip system has a line filter anyway, so I wouldn't worry about clogging the drip emitters. But, I don't want to clog up my filter every time I fertilize.

Comment

I use one like this: https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefro...zer-mixer.aspx

It works pretty well and allows me to just fill the bucket with water, add miracle grow or whatever other water soluble fertilizer, and walk away.
        Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
        Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyq627 View Post
          I use one like this: https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefro...zer-mixer.aspx

It works pretty well and allows me to just fill the bucket with water, add miracle grow or whatever other water soluble fertilizer, and walk away.

I bought one of those at my local nursery. The directions said that it required an open hose or other high flow system in order to work properly. I assumed my drip system would not have enough flow, so I returned it. Are you using that thing with a drip system?

Comment

You are correct it will not work with drippers. The venturis don't need an open hose but it has to be pretty fast flow for them to pull. They will work with a rain head, some of them actually come with the rainhead. They also will not work well if the hose is too long but you can place it at the end of the hose. If you are using drippers it has to be an injector.
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfarmer View Post

I bought one of those at my local nursery. The directions said that it required an open hose or other high flow system in order to work properly. I assumed my drip system would not have enough flow, so I returned it. Are you using that thing with a drip system?
              Yes, however I have enough emmiters on it that it probably flows very well. Either way, I would think the hose would drain between waterings, causing a suction at startup. If you are running 24/7 that might be different.

Comment

Johnny,

Hmmm.......Venturis are tricky. It is not just how much flows but how fast it flows. I can't imagine a set up where drippers 10 or 500 of them would be able to trigger a venturi. Could you describe your system in more detail?
                Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

I have a 1x4 timer directly attached to my faucet. One timer outlet connect to three inline 50ft hoses (5/8"?). They wrap around three rows of trees. I use mostly adjustable drippers and have most set wide open just to get a bit of water out of each. There are probably ~50 emitters. I adjust the times, but usually 15 mins on, four times per day. If you are using slow drips and running the main line all day, I could see issues with the venturi.

Comment

Johnny,

I just can't understand how that is enough flow / fast enough flow to make a venturi draw. Glad it works for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by WillsC View Post
                      Johnny,

I just can't understand how that is enough flow / fast enough flow to make a venturi draw. Glad it works for you though.

I guess I could see how even though the drip looks like low flow, they could add up to high flow. If I have 100 emitters running at 1 gallon per hour, then my total flow would be 100GPH. I'm not sure what the minimum flow for the unit I returned was, but I just looked up a similar unit online and it only required 60GPH.

So, the venturi unit might have worked for me after all. Anyway, I bought the Add-It online and it would cost too much to ship it back to return it. Hopefully that will work well for me. Still looking for anyone who may have had some experience with it.

Comment

BUT not only do you need enough flow and fast enough flow for the venturi to draw you also need to see post #6 above. That flow has to be within 50' feet of the venturi and closer than that is better. So if you had 100 emitters running not more than 25' from the venturi it might work.....but it is still going to make you tear your hair out. I tried it, 100 different ways, many different sizes of venturi trying to get it to work for the ground level emitters for the figs and failed miserably. So I am very interested when I hear someone got it to work. I use a venturi to add fertilized acid water in to my main line to water my blueberry beds but that is a LOT of flow over many overhead impact sprinklers. The best way with a venturi is a bypass system with a high flow pressure main line then you divert a smaller amount of water through the bypass and the venturi and control it with valves.

Comment

Working...
                        X