X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on these varieties, supposedly originated from LSU ??

Heard the following are LSU varieries like LSU #5, DC series, Buddy Lee ??. I now for sure the DC(aka Dead Cat) is from LSU but no
    other info on taste and other info.

I don't recall hearing those names mentioned while at LSU/Burden last summer. That doesnt mean
    that they aren't LSU though. Maybe some of the others that attended can jump in.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Hello Paully,I have DC 2,DC 6 and DC 7 all planted in ground this year ,as they produce figs I will keep you post.I also had a Buddy Lee but it did not make it .........
      Brian
      Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

• newnandawg
        newnandawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Brian, I should have known you would have the answer. Do you remember any discussion about those last summer at the Burden function?

BTW, my Hollier is doing very well this spring. Thanks for the replacement cuttings. I sure was disappointed when I lost my large tree
        during the previous winter that I got from Mr. James Robin. Do you know the status of him? I know he became ill after he lost his wife.

Brian, you "Da" LSU man. Good job in keeping these variants around.

Comment

Originally posted by paully22 View Post
        Brian, you "Da" LSU man. Good job in keeping these variants around.

And much less nuts than the other LSU fig man
        Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao

Hello Mike.........Dr.Johnson first mentioned the DC figs at the 2013 LSU fig field day ,he said that were propagated at LSU , were very promising fig varieties and worth saving from being cut down to make room for a parking lot at LSU.Dr Johnson instructed his students to take cuttings from the trees, and start them in the greenhouse,they enter the greenhouse and saw a dead cat ,so thats how the name was arrived.All of the DC figs were planted at Burdun Center til 2015.......then they were transplanted to another location ..
        Brian
        Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

I know that this has come around and gone around, yet dare I ask.

Is there a definitive list of LSU figs? And could someone post it?
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• DBJohnson
            DBJohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, now you've done gone and opened Pandora's box, Scott!

• COGardener
            COGardener commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah.... it's what I do.

Hey Brain Thanks for the great weekend will P M you Great information on The L S U

Comment

An up to date list would be helpful for sure. I am up to 13 LSUs and looking a good Hollier to trade for a Scott's Yellow. More info on LSU Red would be much appreciated, too.

Comment

Is it just me, or does Dead Cat not sound too appealing?

Comment

Once upon a time, one year ago this month, an informal attempt was made to compile a list here of LSU figs. This will no doubt remain an ongoing community effort: http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...-fig-cultivars. Would be nice if LSU has commissioned or would commission a study to create a formal list.

This list below includes a lot of LSU cultivars, though don't know to what extent it is over or under inclusive:

Buddy Lee
                Champagne
                DC 1, 2, 6, 7 (aka LSU #1, LSU #2 ... )
                Golden Celeste? (multiple strains?)
                Hollier
                Improved Celeste (multiple strains?)
                Jack Lily
                O'Rourke
                Scott's Yellow (sometimes re-named "Brandy" post-LSU?)
                St Gabriel
                Thibodaux
                LSU #5
                LSU #156
                LSU Black / Scott's Black
                LSU Brown
                LSU Everbearing
                LSU Gold (aka Cajun Honey?)
                LSU Late Black
                LSU Purple (multiple strains?)
                LSU Red
                LSU Tiger (originally Giant Celeste, not Mega Celeste)
                LSU White Honey

This post is cross-posted: http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...6274#post76274
                Last edited by mountainfigs; 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM.
                Tony WV 6b
                https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Now we have LSU Strawberry and somewhere I picked
                  it up that LSU Brown is one of the others. I also heard Buddy Lee is from a different but related source all it’s own. Set me straight LSUers.

Comment

Scott's Black fig, who is Scott?
                    Independence Louisiana Zone 8B

Comment

• CliffH
                      CliffH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I have that info somewhere. But as I remember it he was either a friend/colleague or Dr O'Rourke that worked at LSU, or he was a volunteer that spent all his vacations helping out at the LSU breeding program. Scott was his last name. If I find my info, like his full name, I will post it.

Is LSU Brown and LSU Thibodeaux the same fig? Any info on LSU Late Black. My Late Black is small. I am seeking a LSU Brown if it is unique from the other LSUs.

Comment

• HoustonJVFigs
                      HoustonJVFigs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I remember reading somewhere that Thibodeaux and black triana were the same? Could be mistaken but I thought it was posted quite a while back.

• CajunB
                      CajunB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Bill,the LSU Thibodaux and the LSU Late Black are the same fig,I have them both.I also have a Black Triana and its not the same as LSU Thibodaux.......

Thanks for the clarification Brian.
                    Wanted list: Bass FF, CC, 187-25, Deanna, Dolce Calderai, Yellow Neches.

Comment

Brian thank you for reminding me about Late Black and Thibodeaux. How about LSU Brown?

Comment

LSU Black vs Scott’s Black.
                        Is there a difference? I have Scott’s Black and was really impressed with the flavor from the few fruits off a first year tree.
                        Sacramento Ca. 9b

Comment

• wellingtonbill
                          wellingtonbill commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same variety...as I have been told and personally observed. Good figs!
                      Working...
                      X