X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re potting soil for up-potting

It is possible to put 50% Pottiing-Mix mix with 50% Sunshine peak moss to up-pot my 1 year old young fig to 2 gal pot with good result ?

I would use more compost than peat. Peat is a problem because if it dries out it does not like to rewet and it is naturally acidic which the figs will not enjoy.
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi WillsC, can I mix Pro-Mix potting soil with mushroom composted as I can get this from Home Depot here in Vancouver, B.C. In fact Home Depot does not have pine bark mulch. I told them it is available in Home Depot in the States and why not here ? they said they don't know why it is not available here in Canada.

• WillsC
      WillsC commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you can......you would just have to see how the plants like it. Long as it is not too soggy I don't see why it wouldn't work.

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks WillsC. Great help !

I'll second Wills. It would be better to add something like pine bark fines.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

• pacifica
      pacifica commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in Home Depot this morning here in Vancouver, B.C. but they do not have pine bark fines or mulch. I told them it is available in Home Depot in the States and why not available here in Vancouver, they said they do not know either and suggest I should try mushroom composted. What do you know ? can I mix 50% Pro-Mix potting soil with 50% mushroom composted ?
      ?

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      It's sometimes sold as a soil conditioner but it's the same stuff. If you can find pine bark mulch that'll work too, it's chunkier but not a big deal, IMO. Personally, I think compost will be too heavy for the roots and not aerated enough.

• WillsC
      WillsC commented
      Editing a comment
      Out west it is hard to get. Eastern US and eastern Canada is covered in pines so it is plentiful. Heck I think most of the pine lumber in the US comes from Canada but you are on the wrong side of the country I guess. You have fir trees out there though and they cut them so why they don't have that is a bit of a mystery to me.

I think the pine bark is great in any mix. Adds plant matter and aeration.
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Perhaps you may find fir bark instead of pine bark fines out west? I'm pretty sure the two are very comparable for making a good potting mix, but for some reason it seems the eastern half (of the US at least) has the pine park fines, while the west coast will more often have fir bark..So perhaps that is the case for Canada too?

Also wondering if you should perhaps at least go up to a 5 gallon pot instead of a 2 gallon pot being that the tree is already a year old? I think you will end up up-potting again sooner than you think once that baby starts growing I've got cuttings that I started in November already filling their 3 gallon pots, so I'm kicking myself for not going straight to 5gal now ;( Just a suggestion though 😉
      Last edited by Jamie0507; 03-15-2016, 06:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to ask about pot size too :)
      My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Enlightening me here, what would be wrong with straight promix in 2 gal pot for 1 year old tree?

I use straight MG or Lowe's private label tree and shrub, MG or Lowe's private label garden soil, or a rose soil in bulk from an organiic nursery and all seem to do fine. I liquid fert every week or two.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Jamie0507
          Jamie0507 commented
          Editing a comment
          Because we MUST make life harder for ourselves! Lol! I definitely see your point, especially if your only up-potting a couple plants.. Now when your doing say 124 of them? (Who in their right mind would be doing that?? Lol😉).. Then for the price you may want to mix your own soil love potion to try to save on some $$$ (more saved $$ = more cuttings! Yay!!!) ? Although Im pretty convinced that figs would probably grow in anything (like upside down under a freaking bridge! Lol), I do think that straight MG or a soil mix that has a high % of peat may not provide the best drainage situation.. But again, I think you make a great point.. They probably do fine in straight MG as long as ya don't have a heavy watering hand.. Like some people I know.. 😉 As in yours truly! Hehe

• DBJohnson
          DBJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          Jamie, you know that NONE of us over water! I'm shocked that you would imply such a thing!

😱😳😖😉

I go from 1 gal to 7 gal. In the US I can get pine, fir or "Western" barks. The last is a pine/fir mix.
        Bob C.
        Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Thanks to all for the great informations.

Comment

Working...
          X