X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sharpen a grafting knife?

Please see here, on the minute 7 or slightly before:

http://ifasgallery.ifas.ufl.edu/pls3...o_grafting.mp4
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

I plan on handing mine to Hershell
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I am not real good at sharpening knifes. I normally just use disposable utility knife blades for grafting. What I question about this guy is that does not even appear to be a grafting knife. Most Grafting knifes only have the bevel on one side. Why is he turning it over and sharpening the other side? Do you work the non-beveled side as well? Like I said my sharpening knowledge is sub-par.
      Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• drphil69
        drphil69 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are quite correct, one side of a typical grafting knife is flat, so only one edge is sharpened.

I think when the time comes, I may just take it to one of the local farmers market that I frequent (Great Park in Irvine, SOHO in Costa Mesa) all have a professional knife sharpener. Doesn't seem like it goes for much especially for something so small.

Comment

I can't use a one sided knife. I use one side to cut the root stock and then the other to cut the scion. The angle that he was using to sharpen the knife with would make a good wedge. I hope it was for demo only. I lay the blade flat and then lift the back edge just a tiny bit.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Hershell,
          Do you sharpen the knives yourself? What grade of the stones do you use? And lubricant ?

JLee,
          I have seen the guy at our farmer's market too. He was mostly working the kitchen knives . If the stone is right, it doesn't look too difficult .
          USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

I make my knives and use fine diamond stone. I use spit for lubricant. It removes sap that is stuck on the blade and I'm not worried about it damaging the graft. I wouldn't want to use oil or something that I wasn't sure about. Somehow I always have my preferred with me. I am going to stare a thread to share some pix.
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Working...
            X