X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Fig Information

While googleing around I stumble on to this link.

http://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/391-301.pdf
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

That is some bed time reading!
    Ian

Really happy with what I have.

Comment

Good find! I'll print it and add it to my other fig documents. Thanks for the link.
      Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Quite interesting.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Orphan sounds really interesting... high brix, huge fig with breba crop. Does anyone know anything about that variety? I've never heard of it. According to this link, the fig flavor, which is melon, is a bit of a dud. I find that interesting since the presentation indicates such a high brix rating.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by smithmal; 03-18-2016, 10:40 AM.
          Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

are orphan and deanna the same fig?

Comment

Originally posted by bamafig View Post
              are orphan and deanna the same fig?
              Anyone know?

Bamafig,

What prompted the question?

Comment

A dna test by UCDavis found them to be the same. I don't know if the are or not but read that they are at least similar with some thinking that Orphan is the best of the two. Both generally seem to score low on taste.
                Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra

Comment

• AscPete
                  AscPete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Orphan and Deanne are both Condit Hybrids so may have the same DNA profile if selected from a cross of the same parents.

Many thanks Don,

I can now air layer my Deanne and have me an Orphan!!! LOL

Comment

Well drats, somehow I have an Orphan and a Deanna. Guess I'll get to see them side by side.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

jmaler, saw this old post where you have both Orphan and Deanna. More than four years after this post, are they the same?
                    Zone 7B/8A Wake Forest, NC. Wish list - 1. To stop murdering fig cuttings. 2. To find the biggest, juiciest, cold hardiest, most delicious common fig in the world! (and not murder it)

Comment

I wonder what findings they got in 2006 and since then.
                      Zea
                      Watsonville, CA. zone 9
                      New wishlist July 2021 - Black Zadar, Burgan, Zaffiro, Acciano

Comment

Working...
                      X