X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred way to receive cuttings?

The Ebay post had me wondering what the consensus is on how you like to receive cuttings. To be a better seller, one must appeal to the buyer!
    Let's assume the cuttings were taken immediately before shipping.
    I like to receive them with moisture (wrapped with damp paper towel or newspaper)
    5.00%
    I like to receive them without moisture added (wrapped with clear wrap or zip lock bag)
    90.00%
    Other (please explain)
    5.00%
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Double-bagged, cuttings packaged 'dry', with lightly damp newspaper in the outer plastic bag.
    Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
    Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

IMO, dormant cuttings should never be shipped with added moisture, its an invitation for mold and rot.
      For shipping cuttings...individual cling wrap then plastic bags.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Hand delivered with pizza & chocolate. Minimal moisture is better than being soaking wet. In the summer wet cuttings often are moldy before they get here. All the leaf stem nubs should be off because that's what molds first. Definitely at least 1 air tight layer of plastic.
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• ako1974
          ako1974 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed - if I'm sitting up here in all the snow, the very least any warm weather sellers can do is send a fruit basket or something.

If the cuttings are going for a long trip or will be wrapped for weeks each cutting wrapped individually but if they are just going across the country 3 cuttings wrapped together is perfect and less annoying. Individual wrapped cuttings are just a pain to get out.
        Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• Hershell
          Hershell commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you on that.

Good to hear. I was simply wrapping mine with cling wrap individually without moisture. They were so fresh they leaked sap while I was packing them up.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I think dry cuttings are best in my 2 yr experience. The idea Jesse suggested above with a moist paper towel around the sealed cutting bag was used by one person sending me cuttings this year, and I think that is a great idea in temps near or just below freezing. The ones I received were in my mailbox at about 27-28 degrees for 4 hrs before I got home. There were some ice crystals in the wet paper towel wrap but the cuttings were fine.
          Last edited by eboone; 03-05-2015, 08:52 AM. Reason: corrected typo...
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I send cuttings out individually marked, cut ends waxed, wrapped in Press-n-Seal, no added moisture.

I want to RECEIVE my cuttings in one-gallon pots, with roots sticking out of the drain holes, and a couple of figs that are juuuust about ready to pick.
            Is that too much to ask for?

Comment

As long as they come, I am happy.
              Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

I send cuttings out individually marked, cut ends waxed, wrapped in strech wrap and bundle them all together and re strechwrap.
                You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

That looks very nice, Andreas.
                  Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Labeling has been a problem in the past. I like each bag clearly marked. I have had to go back and figure out who I had bought them from to determine the variety. My memory is dreadful at times.
                  Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Here's a suggestion - if you're going to write the variety name on the cutting - write it at the top end of the cutting. It seems every cutting i received had been labeled - on the end that goes under the soil.....
                    Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Working...
                    X