X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBfigs
    replied
    Raccoons love my Fuyu persimmons. The one squirrel I had feasted on my tomatoes, like yours. Unfortunately for it, it also liked my peanut butter coated almond I placed on my rat spring traps. How do you handle your squirrels?

Leave a comment:

• DrDraconian
    commented on 's reply
    Figs / racoon, tomatoes / squirrel. I had to read twice to catch that there were two different pests discovered.

• PBfigs
    replied
    Your raccoons look a lot like our squirrels!

Leave a comment:

• Lapriest1
    replied
    I had to use my game camera to catch/see what was getting into my tomatoes. My German Shepherds took care of the culprit getting my figs...believe it or not...it was a raccoon!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• greenfig
    commented on 's reply
    cool vide to show how smart are the rats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ObcILAtE4

• PBfigs
    replied
    Did you use sunflower seeds? It is foolproof!

Leave a comment:

• bkkchris
    replied
    No luck again last night with the quicksand trap or spring traps. I have resorted to covering the remaining fruit I do have left (that hasn't been eaten by the rats!) in organza bags and that seems to work so far... But still need to catch the rats! As much as I don't really want to us it, poison is going out tonight as well...

Leave a comment:

• 599gh888
    commented on 's reply
    fig girl, i am not sure about squirrel. I don't know if their digestive tract can or can't handle the gum. But my rats problem is getting better. I set traps and left bubble gums around and it is still there. I'll probably need to set it up again next month just to keep it under control.

• Halligan-
    commented on 's reply
    Great setup!
    I can’t wait to try it on squirrels

• PBfigs
    replied
    fig girl . My Quicksand trap is just a 5 gal bucket filled with water 2/3 up with an inch of perlite and a board to its edge. I have the bucket on a cement stairs so the board (plank) is almost flat. I place sunflower seeds on the plank and on top of the perlite. The rats eat the ones on the plank and then jump in to get the ones inside the bucket. BINGO!

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    No poop around the plank and fortunately, I don’t have chipmunks and almost never a squirrel. But many birds that go for sunflower seeds.

Leave a comment:

• grasshopper
    replied
    Sounds like you caught your first litter of rats. You can check if there is any poop on or around the plank.

The rats in my area usually come out in a group in the early evening (6-10pm). Some would run around during the day under shade.

Chipmunks and squirrels are active 6-10am. Sunflower seed is also one of their favorites.

Leave a comment:

• fig girl
    commented on 's reply
    how does your quick sand trap work? What do you use?
    my rats are so smart I can't use the snap traps because they will just through stuff at them and set them off to steal the bait.

• fig girl
    commented on 's reply
    that is an awesome idea, I have such a rat and ground squirrel problem. I have been getting my rats, slowly, under control; but the squirrels are another story. Does the gum work for the squirrels?

• PBfigs
    replied
    Yes, no more photos! Did not get one this morning. Between the Ratinator and quicksand traps I got two large ones and 9 slightly smaller but same size in two weeks. I will continue to set them because I know there are more. The sunflower seeds on the plank were eaten. Could have been birds? Hope so. Thanks again for your great post!!!!

Leave a comment:

• grasshopper
    replied
    Don't stop until you get the whole litter. Litter around this time of the year usually have 9-10 members. 2 large and 7-8 smaller. And no to the photos.

Leave a comment:

• 599gh888
    commented on 's reply
    No need to peel them. Just those the whole bucket. They will gorge themselves to death. I found one in a daze this morning trying to digest the gum. I had to finish the job

• PBfigs
    replied
    Try sunflower seeds. They float and stay on top of the perlite. Very inexpensive. I basically cover the top of the perlite with a thin layer of seeds. I put a few on the plank leading to the ledge.

Leave a comment:

• bkkchris
    replied
    Trying out the quicksand trap with slimjim's as bait. Out last night with no luck... Will try again tonight.

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    No photos as promised. Quicksand trap still effective this morning!!! Brilliant tip! Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    My last photos of dead rats. The quicksand (perlite) with sunflower seeds seems to work. Make sure the water level is low enough to prevent the rodents from reaching the seeds and once inside the bucket, they don’t jump out. Thanks again for the tip.

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    grasshopper, thanks. Two more this morning. The quicksand bucket has worked so far. 3 in two nights!

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    So I tried the quick sand trap last night. I hope I am allowed to show my results this morning.

Leave a comment:

• PBfigs
    replied
    Dumb questions. Do you peel off the wraps? And is this the bubblegum you use?

Leave a comment:

• 599gh888
    commented on 's reply
    Try bubble gums. Smart n final sale a 3 lbs bags for 7. Dump all of them because you want to get rid of the whole family. You won’t see it die but the numbers will be less and less.
Working...
X