X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urigation?

Anyone out there urigate (Fertilize with urine)? How does it work for you? Any issues? What are your application rates?
    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

I have, but not on the figs... yet. In general, you should dilute the urine with water at a ratio of 10:1. I've had amazing results, and the only downside is the "eww... that's gross" reaction from people. Also, if you have a compost pile, urine works wonders to get things going.

Comment

That's my initial reaction too but honestly it seems a lot cleaner than all of the animal poop and rotting food in the compost pile.

Do you add anything to it like wood ash to even out the nutrients to a more ideal 3-1-2 ratio? Had any issues with it affecting PH?

Have you had any issues with odors if you used it inside?

How about foliar sprays? Looks like a 20:1 water:urine ratio is good.

Hydroponics? 50:1

Do you use fresh or aged or both? Sounds like there could be some ammonia issues with aged.

​Any issues with salt accumulation?

​From what I've read, it looks like it has between 10-0-1 to 16-1-2.5 NPK ratio and all kinds of micro nutrients. Seems like a pretty good fertilizer once you get past the "Ick" factor. And it's free & organic.

Thanks!
      Last edited by don_sanders; 03-18-2016, 11:03 PM.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• JohnnyK
        JohnnyK commented
        Editing a comment
        I've only used fresh, so I haven't run into the problem of having odors, and I also don't foliar feed any of my plants, so I reslly can't tell you what the outcome would be. Maybe I'll have to try it this year. As far as adding wood ash, I occasionally add it to my compost pile, but I never measure how much. Just a little bit here and there.

• AscPete
        AscPete commented
        Editing a comment
        Approximately 11-1-2 NPK ratio...Used fresh at a 4-1 water-urine ratio, in the compost pile and on the soil only (of roses and lilacs) and never had any problems with smell.

In the compost piles I add Espoma with Bio-tone for the soil microbes and if available add another cup of wood ash for every 20 gallons of compost.

Interesting!

Comment

Foliar sprays of diluted urine inside the house would seem to be a non-starter

I have used it on compost piles and also as a deterrent for deer on some shrubs but not sure if it made a difference. I'll definitely be looking into this more for outdoor plants in containers.
        Steve
        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
        WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

I confess.. I recently read about this and all of its merits and made my husband pee in the compost pile! 😳Lol! My sons overheard us laughing about it and now they all want to pee in it too.. Ugh.. Little boys! Haha! Seriously though as wrong as it feels, it makes perfect sense not to throw away free fertilizer that appears to be cleaner and more beneficial than the stuff we pay lots of money for.. Im just having a really hard time getting passed the "yuck" factor part lol.. I'm now totally skeeved out by that compost pile too 😝
          My Plant Inventory: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...HZcBjcsxMwQ7iY

Rooted Cuttings Available 2021:
          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...fxsT1DuH8/edit

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie0507 View Post
            I confess.. I recently read about this and all of its merits and made my husband pee in the compost pile! 😳Lol! My sons overheard us laughing about it and now they all want to pee in it too.. Ugh.. Little boys! Haha! Seriously though as wrong as it feels, it makes perfect sense not to throw away free fertilizer that appears to be cleaner and more beneficial than the stuff we pay lots of money for.. Im just having a really hard time getting passed the "yuck" factor part lol.. I'm now totally skeeved out by that compost pile too 😝

Jamie,

Think of it this way Every drop of liquid you have EVER had and all the liquid you will EVER have has probably passed through the bladder of some creature at some point in the past. There doesn't that make you feel better
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that is a super lovely thought Wills! Lol thank you for pointing that out.. I suddenly feel the need to go brush my teeth again and again followed by furiously "scoping it" afterwards.. No no.. It must be listerine on second thought haha!!! Yuck.. there is totally no getting around that one either! 😝😝😝😝😝

I've added urine to the compost pile for years at a 4:1 ratio (4 parts water to 1 part urine) It adds extra nitrogen to help with the decomp of dead leaves and wood (brown materials).

I've only used it directly on Lilacs and Roses at the 4:1 ratio and have never had a smell issue when it is collected (5 gallon bucket with lid) and used daily. Attached are a couple of interesting Google search results, http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-use-pee-in-your-garden/ , http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663056/...-uses-your-pee , http://forest.mtu.edu/pcforestry/res...%20English.pdf

It always amuses me that Gardeners use manures and treated sludge in their gardens but refuse to consider using their own sterile organic pee.

BTW I started "pee-cycling" when I installed a small composting toilet.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Jamie0507
              Jamie0507 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're so right Pete, why does it bother me less to dig into a bag of aged horse manure than to even be able to look at that compost pile I made my husband "urigate" into? Lol! I really need to get over it because like you said it really is completely sterile and organic!
          Working...
          X