X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how close together can I plant?

Good evening

I live in Southern California in Fullerton. I have a backyard that has a terraced hillside that has about 15 fruit trees on them. I recently planted a black mission fig and a black jack fig, but a forum member was kind enough to give me a VDB in a one gallon container that I would love to plant on the hillside as well.

How close together can I plant fig trees? I have a space that is about 5 feet away from my black mission. Would that be too close? The other alternative would be to put it in a large 15-20 gallon container pot on the side of my house.

As always, thanks

Stay Well, Stay Safe

Adam

Here is my island of trees about 2-3 ft apart that grow there for about 6 years. Very compact to protect and fertilize . Some say it’s crazy , I say it’s practical in my city environment
    I am not saying do like I did but as you can see, the fig trees are very tolerant!
    I am near LA. The largest tree caliper is about 3” thick. They are 15-18 ft tall in December but I trim all to 7ft
    Attached Files
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig

Comment

• grasshopper
      grasshopper commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha, I guess I didn't need to ask for that one. They may merge at some point when they get bigger. And you may have a huge trunk.

• greenfig
      greenfig commented
      Editing a comment
      It may take a 100 years for that, lol

• abirozy
      abirozy commented
      Editing a comment
      how well do they fruit? How many different varieties do you have? That isn't practical for me, but looks great.

Planting in ground challenges, what a nice problem to have 😁

Honestly I would not plant in ground yet, leave them in pots, get a couple more varieties, different taste profiles, like intense berry or honey type flavor to try first. No offense to black mission, black jack or vdb but whats out there are much better in my opinion if I have a small space to work with.
    on the other hand, you can plant them 5 feet a part which is fine and practice grafting.
    MJ
    Chicago Zone 5
    Fig Collection

Comment

I would be wary of that mission tree. The folk here are right that you can work with arbitrarily small spacing if your site gets full sun, but you’ll need to prune aggressively to squeeze everything in. Figs will become very large if given proper conditions and left to their own devices. In particular, that mission wants to be a 25ft giant, and it will take some effort to keep it much smaller. I don’t have much long term pruning experience myself so I can’t say just how small you can keep it, but riding around the bay I see a lot of very tall fig trees.

Oh and I forgot to mention that a technique which may be helpful (I’ve never tried it) is planting the tree in ground in a container with holes in it. It’s similar to heeling but is permanent, and Lee Reich explains it well in his book Growing Fruit Naturally. The idea is just that by confining most the roots where only some can escape to find more nutrients and moisture, you force the tree to produce earlier and stay smaller. A lot of people on here seem to do it but with much of the container above ground so they can still sever the tree and winterize it indoors.
      Last edited by JonathanW; 06-03-2020, 01:01 PM.
      Bay Area, CA: zone 9b

Comment

• abirozy
        abirozy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice

• greenfig
        greenfig commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree about a Mission, it wants to be big. A Mt Etna fig on the other side, is small and can be kept under 9-10 ft easily
    Working...
    X