X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Ca commercial caprifigs persistent?

Today I received some black mission brebas from California Gourmet Company.com, a Fresno company that harvests local fruit and nuts for gift baskets.
    They’re under ripe and bland, but I was able to get 5 viable seeds to sink and I planted them in some tree pots. I know the odds are against me but I don’t care, I’m in this for the fun of it

I know that in order to have any chance at growing something common, the father needs to be a persistent caprifig. So CA fig people, are the caprifigs used to pollinate the orchards persistent or not?
    Central CA Zone 10a/b
    WL: a resurrected Angelito, Exquisito, Côtio Verdeal, Sofeno Preto

Honesty the orchards around here don’t have caprifigs planted. The only calimyrna orchard left on 99 uses the old brown paper bags with wasp laden profichi.

Comment

• mwhight34
      mwhight34 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm that’s what I was afraid of. Looks like I might have to grow my own persistent caprifigs and figure out how to hand pollinate 🤔

I believe that the last commercial caprifig orchard remaining is Butler's Ranch out of Orosi, not far from Fresno.
    CA 9b "May you sit under your own fig tree..." This metaphor, in use since Solomon, is a wish for the receiver's spirit to know peace, for their family to be secure, and for their life to be fruitful.

Comment

• mwhight34
      mwhight34 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that’s not too far from me, maybe a 30 min drive. I’m guessing there’s no way to tell if the father of my black mission seeds is persistent then 😕
Working...
X