X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Brown Turkey Fig Tree

I bought a 5 ft tall Brown Turkey last July with few branches but no fruit and hope will have some fruits to taste this summer.
    My question is how can I tell if mine is English Brown Turkey which is supposed to be good taste or just common Brown Turkey but taste bland ? Is English Brown Turkey better than common Brown Turkey ?

Here is a picture of my English Brown Turkey or at least what has been Identified as such by a couple of people. This is a great fig here in Northeast Texas, if there is a problem it would be that it attracts every stinging insect for 5 miles. These figs were taken from the donor tree which is 15+ yrs old.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Thanks.......
      How does it taste of yours ? Good taste and not bland ? I have tried some Brown Turkey fruits from the major food chains that they imported from California but the taste is just OK but not great. My Brown Turkey was given by my friend as my birthday gift.

Comment

Hey Pac. There is no such thing as a bland tasting Brown Turkey. It's one of the most common varieties out there,commercial or none and for a good reason. The most common cultivars are , Southern BT, English BT and Improved BT which I think is the variety grown in California as a commercial fig and is the ones you find at your local stores along with Black Mission and Cadota. The first one SBT is a very good variety ,cold Hardy that produces two crops and is very similar to Celeste in fruit appearance and flavor.
        The EBT is also very cold Hardy maybe more so than the rest, produces two crops of larger fruit and thanks to Danny aka dkirtexas I will be tasting some in a couple of months. Thanks very much Dan !!
        The Californian or improved BT is the commercial variety and if picked ripe enough and is pollinated is a fig very hard to beat, so if you did get a real BT of any kind, your tree will be a winner. Best of luck .
        Attached Files

Comment

• pacifica
          pacifica commented
          Editing a comment
          Than you Chrisk for your valuable information and I do appreciate it very much.
          Your Brown Turkey in a transparent see thru box is exactly the one that I used to buy from the food chains in Vancouver, B.C.
          I just further checked the hang tag I kept for my Brown Turkey but I still can not tell if it is SBT or EBT by now.

Glad I got rid of my EBT -- productive but late ripener.

Comment

I rarely comment on what anything tastes like or how good anything is. I happen to love the taste of Brussel Sprouts, Liver, Lima Beans, etc, which a lot of people do not like. That alone says that we do not have the same appreciation of various tastes. I like the taste of most figs that are fully ripe. My neighbor had never tasted a LSU Hollier that was fully ripened so therefore he did not like the Hollier, which is one of my favorites.
          Wish List - Any LSU fig

Comment

Originally posted by dkirtexas View Post
            This is a great fig here in Northeast Texas, if there is a problem it would be that it attracts every stinging insect for 5 miles.
            Why do fig trees often harbor mosquitoes, btw?

Comment

Damp soil, sweet fruit and they know that figs are the perfect bait for them to catch "humans"

Comment

Working...
              X