X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else seeing "corrupted file" message when uploading image (jpg) files?

As I try to upload photos, I keep getting a message saying "the file you are attempting to upload is corrupted". Yet I find no evidence of its corruption. (Plus it opens successfully in every other program I try, including native in the browser). I tried capturing a screen image of the message (it is in one of those little pup-up diaglog boxes), but I saved the image as a jpg and then (ironically) got the same message trying to upload that new jpg. At first I thought it was only for files where I had edited the metadata (I do that to photo images, to insert a copyright statement in the metadata). But I no longer think that, because a) it has failed with both unedited and edited image files, and b) it has succeeded with both edited and unedited images as well. It is also inconsistent... on three consecutive attempts with a single specific file, it failed, and then on the fourth attempt with that same file, it succeeded. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? (Better yet, has anyone else seen it and knows how to either cure it or work around it?).

p.s. I don't believe the files are actually corrupted.
    Mike -- central NY state, zone 5a -- pauca sed matura

I have received the same message, Mike. Some will upload, some won't.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

worked ok for me
        Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Mike,
          I believe that there is a glitch in the file attachment and resize with photos.

I upload all my pictures into the photo album (using the camera icon on the top left of the textbox) and then paste them into the posts as a work around.
          I have not seen those error messages.

and the file size has to be less than 1000 kb.
          Last edited by AscPete; 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete, thanks for the workaround idea. I'll try it here (in this thread) to see if that cures the issue for me. I'm sure it isn't the file size (because I wondered about that already, and tried it with lots of different sized files, none of which was as big as 1000Kb, but I tried all different sizes).

Wills, I too had found that some of the photos with edited metadata worked fine (and some didn't), and it was even inconsistent with multiple attempts with the same file. (identical file in separate attempts).

Frank, sorry to hear that you encounter the same issue. But somehow also "glad" to learn that I'm not the only one. Hopefully eventually we can figure out what causes the issue. It's so inconsistent (but maddening in that it happens so frequently! Consumes lots of time and gets frustrating).

OK, next post will be to try Pete's workaround with an image that was blocked 6 or 8 times before I gave up.

Comment

Testing Pete's workaround:

NO LUCK. I got the same message. "The file you are trying to upload is corrupted".

I wish I knew what it detects that makes it seem "corrupted". Photo works fine in every additional program I try, and I've used Symantec file scanners to examine it as well. I tried it just now with files that had unedited metadata (left all metadata exactly as the camera had set it) and with edited metadata (my copyright added), and one that had been resized in Microsoft Paint, and another that had not been resized at all. No luck.

Pete and Wills: Any chance you can find out from the hosting provider what detection is done that results in that message? If I can tell what the upload software doesn't like, I can try examining the file differently...

Comment

Mike,
                Wills has the photo issue "in for repair"...

Just checked the album again with a picture over 2 Mb and the one below, just the standard oversized message.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

The photo issue is a known bug........they will have to address it in an upcoming patch but it has nothing to do with the corupted message.

Mike, sent you a PM.

Comment

ok trying Mikes picture.....worked for me Mike. The picture was way too big, almost 6 megs needs to be under 1 meg

Comment

• MichaelTucson
                      MichaelTucson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hmm... if that one was almost 6MB, then I must have sent you the wrong one. The one I was using is 197KB. (That's under 0.2MB).

• MichaelTucson
                      MichaelTucson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mystery cleared up (well, partially cleared up anyway). That picture (of the white genoa) wasn't one that I sent you... someone else sent that one. The pic below of the 7-lobed Aubique Petite leaf, that's my pic. This one was from someone else, not sure who.

Ok another pic test......It came up corrupted for me also Mike. So I opened it in photoshop and just resaved it with a new name and it works fine. Great leaf btw

Comment

Thanks for the experiment, Wills. I guess this means I'll have to go buy a license for Photoshop. (I used to have it, but it's gone after 3 or 4 computer changes since then). Thanks again. Hopefully I can get it to work here. (Anyone know where I can get Photoshop inexpensively?)

Comment

OK, I tried taking the same photo (the roughly 200KB version), which has been failing for me, and I used Paint to load it and resave with a new name (this time with no blanks in the name)... am trying it again here in this post (we'll see if it works!).

Nope... same "corrupted" message. I guess I'll have to get Photoshop after all...

Comment

Mike I will try it in paint.

Comment

Mike,

Open it in paint and save it as a .png instead of a .jpg and it will work, no photoshop needed.

Comment

I had the same thing happen with Hershell's photos. The biggest was 785K. I resized them under 100K and they all uploaded.
                              Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Hi Wills,
                                I'm trying your suggestion (saved as .png in Paint) right now, right here. Fingers crossed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AubiquePetiteLeaf1b20120719.png
Views:	5
Size:	807.5 KB
ID:	8174

It worked! I'll use that... whatever works! Now I can add a bunch of photos over in the varieties pages. Thanks for finding something that worked with my pictures!

Comment

Working...
                                X