X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in some Unknown cuttings? CB2 Unk

I was out mapping more local trees today to come back and visit when they are fruiting so I know which doors to knock on for cuttings While driving around I saw a beach vacation rental that apparently had an over zealous maintenance guy... There was literally 50% of a fig tree sitting in a pile on the ground next to the road. It had been cut earlier in the day, leaves were still green, some branches were as thick as my wrist!

Long story short, I rescued most of the branches, chopped them up into cuttings and wanted to offer them up to people here. Whether you need some root stock, cuttings to experiment with, or are interested in growing a vigorous growing tree that does fruit even if it could end up being Brown turkey... Maybe its something more exciting. Im calling them "CB2 Unk" as they are the second tree from Carolina Beach, I have been able to secure cuttings from.

Here is my thought for cost:
    6 good sized cuttings with 4+ nodes each for $10 shipped

10 good sized cuttings with 4+ nodes each for $14 shipped

Shipping: This is US shipping only, I will ship to CA but buyer is responsible if items dont show up. I will provide usps tracking number.

The $ covers shipping, wrap, packaging materials, paypal fees, and some of the time cutting, packing, and mailing.

Let me know if anyone is interested, I have a lot of them, if you want more than 6 we can make something work. Also if you have something fun to trade, let me know and we can just do it shipping for shipping. Basically I didnt want to see this stuff go to waste and please dont make me root it all myself LOL

Let me know if youd like some and I will send you my paypal address.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by LouNeo; 03-22-2016, 09:24 PM.
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Hello Louneo,

No international shipping i suppose?

Regards
    Jonathan
    My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

• LouNeo
      LouNeo commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew I forgot something and as soon as I saw your name in the email I knew the question. I wish I could ship internationally but I dont think it makes sense to try with a likely common unknown variety. Its not worth the fees, or the risk. Im sorry Jonathan.

• Jonathan
      Jonathan commented
      Editing a comment
      Is ok LouNeo i was curious as most post will said "STRICKLY NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING" lol

Regards
      Jonathan

Just replied to all the PM's sorry about that, was working on cutting some of these up for everyone. Thanks guys, its good to see people happy with these.
    2021: The year of figs and a new love of Citrus thanks to http://www.madisoncitrusnursery.com

Comment

Beautiful cuttings Leo. To those who are planning to root these cuttings or any other "green" cuttings like these, I highly recommend reading the method listed on Bass's Trees Of Joy website on green softwood cuttings.
      http://www.treesofjoy.com/content/ro...d-fig-cuttings
      This is how I do it and have been very successful rooting softwood cuttings in the summer. It has also been my experience that you should not rush the transition into the sunlight. We are all anxious to get the trees going and I have found out that slower is definitely better. Keep them in that shade and then a very slow transition into the sunlight.
      I don't use the Root tone. I don't like those powders and I find it unnecessary

Comment

• LouNeo
        LouNeo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for posting that. I will read it for these and some others I am trying to root

• LouNeo
        LouNeo commented
        Editing a comment
        I didnt know these cuttings (greener cuttings) actually root faster than dormant cuttings but I guess that makes sense I might hang on to a few extra and get them going! Now im excited all over again hahah. Thankfully my gf went on a couple day trip, root now and ask for forgiveness later.

I cut them a little bigger than normal, those are 1 gallon bags. Some are thinner some are pretty thick, but these are definitely nice cuttings. Thanks everyone.
      Attached Files

Comment

• watagarasu
        watagarasu commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this packing...4 week in ship no problem if packing like that.

That looks great! I was just in Wilmington last weekend, but there is always something else to do there. Had dinner at Circa 1922, nice place to eat!
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

Wilmington is a great place, Circa offers a very good dining experience!

Comment

Im caught back up on PM's and tracking numbers have gone out for orders that came in yesterday. I still have about 7 or 8 packs left if anyone wants some before they are gone. PM me

Comment

• lesstime
            lesstime commented
            Editing a comment
            does this variety produce a berba crop?
            i might be intersted

• LouNeo
            LouNeo commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont know as I am growing from cuttings as well and the tree was not mine. I can take a ride by and see if there are any breba on the tree at some point in the next week.

Lou, they arrived today, one day ahead of schedule. Thanks for getting it shipped on the day I ordered, and for the extras. I'm a real newbie, just getting into figs last year and have 3 trees right now. The rooting attempt will be a totally new experience. I got some sphagnum moss and have them all in a plastic box now.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Zone 10B, San Francisco
          Growing: Brown Turkey, VdB, Rdb, Negronne, Adriatic JH, Desert King, Bourjasotte Grise, I-258, GN AF, Longue D'Aoute, Smith

Comment

I am happy to help Bob and wish you the best of luck rooting! Moss works well, a lot of people swear by it. I have been doing the Bagging Propagation method the Mai had posted and its been working great. Find what works for you, luckily figs tend to do everything they can to live!

Comment

did i ask for any had knee surgery and have lost my crayons in all the confusion

Comment

Haha I pmd you I've got a pack waiting to go out tomorrow. I sent you my paypal address and juts need your address. Heal up Joy!

Comment

Last January I successfully rooted cutting for RDB, Strawberry Verte and Zingarella. At the same time I tried with 4 different cuttings of VDB and failed miserably on all 4. I am getting ready to put the 3 in the ground that are now about 3 feet tall. I would like to know if anyone relatively close to Greenville SC has a Violette de Bordeaux in a pot for sale. Since it seems I am destined to not be able to root them.

Thanks
                  Gary
                  There are plenty more I want but the Colonel took my last spot.

Comment

• LouNeo
                    LouNeo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PMing you Gary. Im 4.5 hours away and do have some VDB in 1 gallon pots sitting outside.

How are the cuttings doing? As I mentioned previously, I put them into sphagnum moss. That didn't work out for me. After more than a month, only 2 had small wispy roots entangled in the moss. Worse, the cuttings on the bottom of the box were growing out and the new growth was rotting. I cleaned off much of the rotted parts and moved them all to cups with potting mix (with perlite and vermiculite). After about a week in a humidity chamber, they are recovering. Many have new growth already, and one even has a root.

Zone 10B, San Francisco
                  Growing: Brown Turkey, VdB, Rdb, Negronne, Adriatic JH, Desert King, Bourjasotte Grise, I-258, GN AF, Longue D'Aoute, Smith

Comment

What a nice thing to do!!
                    Want: Marseilles Black, Col de Dame (any), figs that do great in zone 9b (new to figs, so no fig trades, but have other plant types)

Comment

How do I contact you for the cutting?

Comment

Sonnyboy,

Lou has been very under the weather so give him some time to respond.
                        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Sorry guys I haven't gotten back on here in a long time. Finally starting to feel a little better. Sonny I don't have any more cuttings available but if I end up with an extra plant from what I rooted I wI'll let you know. Thanks Wills, I'm usually pretty responsive but I've definitely been away from it all.

Comment

After the setback I had, 5 of the 8 look like they will make it. The 2 larger ones were recently transferred from cups to 1-gallon pots. Lou, do you remember if the fig on the parent tree was light or dark?
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                            Zone 10B, San Francisco

Comment

Looking great! I actually dropped by that tree yesterday It has grown back really well but with all the emphasis on growth it hasnt pushed a ton fig wise yet. It has a lot started, looks like it will be a late crop and I will be able to answer your question then.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Lou.
                                Zone 10B, San Francisco

Comment

I hope it's OK to resurrect this old thread. I'm hoping someone can give me some info on this CB2 Unk fig. I'm one of the members who got cuttings from Lou. Has anyone gotten any ripe figs from their trees? I thought I would know more this year, with the trees in 2nd leaf and pushing out a lot of figlets. It looked very promising, but every one of the figlets dropped without swelling or softening. So, I'll store them over the winter and hope for the best in this upcoming season. If they do the same and don't hang on to the figs, it might be their last season.
                                  Zone 10B, San Francisco

Comment

• Rewton
                                    Rewton commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Keep in mind some very good varieties are known to drop their figs when young e.g. Pastiliere. Then again you could use it for rootstock.

• blee
                                    blee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks, Rewton. I'll give them a little more time then. But for rootstock, I have an in-ground Brown Turkey that gives me more vigorous cuttings (have not tried grafting yet).

Ah ha, this is where I got those cuttings back in 2016. I was only able to root one but that is all I need to get more now. Yesterday I had my very first ripened fig from this tree and what a GREAT surprise. It was the BEST fig I had this year and that is out of about 20 to 25 varieties so far. In fact, I'd say THAT was the best fig I EVEr had since I got into this craziness. This one is defiantly a KEEPER. The taste was a sweet VERY rich berry flavor. I had one about a week ago and although it was very good, I'm sure I picked a few days too early. Yesterday it WAS right on ripe. I did not expect a WOW factor like I got or I would have taken some pics. Now that I know what I got, I will be a little more diligent in my reporting and picture taking.
                                  Ron Bressler
                                  Lebanon, Pa
                                  Zone 6b

Comment

Interesting. You have more patience than I do. I was one of those who received cuttings from Lou. They rooted well for me, and I had about 5 plants, eventually in 10-gallon pots. After 3 years or so, dropping all figs every season, I used one for rootstock and discarded the rest.
                                    Zone 10B, San Francisco

Comment

• 115foxron
                                      115foxron commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I won't kid you, but I was beginning to doubt it to. But since I only had only 1 in a 5 gal pot, as long as it did not die, I was willing to give it a chance. I have a followup post about the tree.

Here is a couple of pictures. The tree is only 36" tall. I plan to air layer one or two branches and try a couple of grafts with the small, skinny branches next year. The fruits are small but very tasty. This fig was not quite ripe but still very tasty.
                                    Ron Bressler
                                    Lebanon, Pa
                                    Zone 6b

Comment

• blee
                                      blee commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Pictures not showing up. I'm interested to see what it looks like.

• 115foxron
                                      115foxron commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I redid the pictures. I hope this works.
                                  Working...
                                  X