X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, there was this one time when things got turned around...

So....yeah. I did it, too. Cutting out in upside down and now I have crazy limb structure going on. Since I have zero idea how well developed the roots are, I'm thinking to just leave it be for now and let the branches turn around on their own. The other option is to carefully remove it from the treepot and plant it in a 5g SIP laterally so the limbs don't have to turn as far and the roots can continue going downward. I'm leaning toward leaving it alone because this is the only one of this variety that has survived this far.
    Attached Files
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Leave it.

I flipped one on purpose last year just to see what would happen.

Today, you would never know.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Check out this upside down cutting. Hope this picture loaded first one ever
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jamie0507
        Jamie0507 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow that is crazy! Lol but it's actually pretty cool too.. What variety is this? I've seen a pic of a fig tree growing upside down from underneath a bridge in Italy AND NOW THIS!! Haha! Just goes to show ya how much these trees want to grow.. I wonder what other crazy growing fig tree pics will come up next?? Great pic thanks for sharing!

• DBJohnson
        DBJohnson commented
        Editing a comment
        So, are you saying that it's possible/likely to take on a weeping form?

• Levar
        Levar commented
        Editing a comment
        That has potential to be so beautiful.

Mine does not weep. Yours won't either, the branches will grow normally.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Plant it from bottom of hanging pot😏
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• DBJohnson
          DBJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          ...or find a good, sturdy bridge.

You never known 🤗
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

You could always just repot it on its side, you'll lose one of those shoots most likely though. It could be a fun experiment to keep if you have extra's of this variety.
          May the Figs be with you!
          ​​​​​

Comment

My Sangue Dolce is tough to root......it took me a few tries to get one to survive the rooting process. The only one is the one I planted upside down by mistake It just BARELY made it but grew in to a strong healthy robust tree. I fixed my oops when I put it in a one gallon pot then buried it deeper when it went in the ground so now you would never know I screwed up.
            Cutting sales at willsfigs.com will continue till about March 1.

Comment

OK, so if I leave it as is to grow and the limbs turn upward (which they seem to be attempting to do), how would I fix that when up potting in a few months? It seems to me that the limbs/leaves would then end up buried. If the limbs turn themselves around, would it not be better to just bury the whole thing deeper (albeit, still with the cutting upside down) to establish roots from the new growth and to stabilize he plant? That would effectively be air layering both of the limbs in ground, wouldn't it?

Comment

Bryant,

Yes, plant the entire cutting below soil level, just like its growing, roots will develop at the buried nodes and the tree will continue to grow normally.

The same condition occurs naturally when limbs of larger bush shaped fig trees arch to the ground and tip root. Good luck.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Thanks, Pete!

Comment

The way I did it was to simply plant the cupped plant in the pot at a 45 degree angle. It was fine with that then when I planted it in the ground I laid the pot in the planting hole on it's side a bit deeper than normal in a hole deeper than normal. As the plant grew and the wood at the base lignified I then filled the hole in. I did not want to bury the green wood and risk rot at first. That plant was tough and I was taking no chances. Once in the ground it grew like a champion.
                    Cutting sales at willsfigs.com will continue till about March 1.

Comment

Working...
                    X