X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDA and lil figgy

Nice man in green jeep will big grin and large red bio hazard bag took away lil figgy's thai mango seed and three sumaki fig cuttings not even out of the package. No matter who you are and where you are, these guys will find you WAAA no sumaki fig or golden thai mango for me.

Ouch........
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Oh dang!!!
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

At least they didn't show up with a full SWAT team.

Sorry for your loss....
        Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss..
          Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

They have nothing better to do than take away germplasm? Someone's getting paid too much for too little work! Sorry they found you.

Comment

• Kelby
              Kelby commented
              Editing a comment
              Considering the number of new invasive insects in my area in past 10-15 years, I can't say I agree with that sentiment...

Lilfiggy, did you buy off ebay? Shame you didn't have time to swap out the fig cuttings.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• smatthew
              smatthew commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure making fraudulent misrepresentations to the government is a great idea....

• jmaler
              jmaler commented
              Editing a comment
              Smatthew, you are right, making fraudulent misrepresentations to the government is not a great idea....

However, in order to get "nice man in green jeep will big grin and large red bio hazard bag" to knock on lilfiggy's door there must have been probable cause. So are there degrees of sin?

• Italianstallon99
              Italianstallon99 commented
              Editing a comment
              Our government is one big fraudulent misrepresentation, so it's ok from to lie to us, be we can't lie to them. U say poor them, I say poor us!

Dang... they really do that in us?
            My wish list is what ever come from my dear friend is the most special fig no matter what the vatiety is. I wish my dear friend to stay well always and always be happy. Jonathan

Comment

• newnandawg
              newnandawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they do. Been there done that also

• Jonathan
              Jonathan commented
              Editing a comment
              hello,

From where i came from as long as you get pass customs and you are good to go... Anyway it a harsh world... good luck everyone

lilfiggy - you knowingly broke the law, and the only penalty was they took away the offending material. I'd say you got off lightly.
            Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

Wow. That is crazy lilfiggy. I too would love to know more of the story. Where did these items come from? I know they are trying to protect the plants from unknown microbes traveling about the planet and seems a little off balance with all the other situations in play right now. Strange world.
              Newbie to figs. Wishes for your favorite fig. Zone 8, Camp Verde AZ

Comment

Why confiscate seeds though? Does anybody know? I thought there was no risk with seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackfoot12 View Post
                  Why confiscate seeds though? Does anybody know? I thought there was no risk with seeds.
                  USDA guidlines for seeds
                  Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Hopefully will help spread the word to newbies.
                    Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

didn't know they would take seeds, thanks for the info. I guess we can all learn from your misfortune. Sorry
                      Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                      Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

got them from ebay i surely took a chance on the fig cuttings but the mango seed did not know that and s matthews would you rather they had flogged me in my driveway and aired it on the 6 oclock news? I have ordered all kinds of seeds for unique items from ebay no problem they were even in a factory sealed pouch. Wonderful welcome home from the hospital after having knee surgery on both knees. I know he was doing his job and it was not an expensive lesson just sad I think he felt sorry for me hobbling outside to give him the little packages. He gave me his card and said if I was in question to call him personally in the future.

Comment

• smatthew
                          smatthew commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pretty sure we don't flog people in the US........

The Dept of Ag guys are very nice. I don't know where you live but if the CA dept Natural Resources found out they might burn every plant for 100 feet.
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Sorry lilfiggy, been there and done that. I bought on eBay and didn't look to see country of origin. I guess I should have flogged too and I really hope your knees are doing well.
                          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

One of my friends is in Jordan now ... can he bring me back a couple of cuttings or would he be putting himself at risk of getting in trouble ? Especially with coming back from the middle east?? Thanks

Comment

jordon not on allowed list sniffer dogs may "dog" him out and then they will look up his hinnie for other hidden things.......... especially from Middle East

Comment

Hehehe thanks I will not put him in that situation

Comment

Is England or Spain on the list that we can import from....where could I find this list of approved countries?.
                                  One answer seems to lead me to more questions .....

Comment

• HarveyC
                                    HarveyC commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    No on England or Spain. See page 4-201 (page 333 of pdf document) at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_ex...r_planting.pdf

• Tonycm
                                    Tonycm commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    From past experience I can tell you that you can't get cuttings from other countries. My nephew sent me cuttings from Spain but all I got was an empty envelope with a letter inside telling me that you cannot import plant material without the proper paperwork. At least they didn't let me receive the cuttings then come and confiscate all my trees.

Thank you Harvey that is very helpful not what I wanted to hear but helpful 😊 I do not want to get in trouble with the fig police

Comment

Prior to May 20, 2013, fig cuttings under 10mm in diameter were allowed to be imported with an import permit and phyto. Since that time, USDA/APHIS has had the risk of Citrus Longhorn Beetle and Asian Longhorn Beetle under environmental review. These beetles are quite large and the 10mm restriction was sufficient. If I thought it would make a difference, I'd suggest that everyone write the USDA and suggest that they change the regulations. What seems very odd is that some of the countries that are allowed are those that have the greatest risk of these beetles.

As I understand it, wooden pallets and crates brought here on cargo ships have been the greatest source of these pests brought to the U.S.
                                    Last edited by HarveyC; 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM.
                                    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

Pic of page 333....

Malcolm - Carroll County, MD (zone 6b). Interested in cold hardy figs. Currently container growing, MBVS, St. Rita, Olympian, RdB, Beale, Sal's EL, UCD 184-15s and Desert King.

Comment

thanks all for your additional information to share with us malcom that information is exactly what they left me

Comment

Working...
                                        X